Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Best Baseball Movies/Docs

Re: Best Baseball Movies/Docs

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I loved Moneyball. Might be my favorite movie period.

I enjoyed Fever Pitch too, but I'm a sucker for a romantic comedy. Also seeing the Cardinals lose is about the best way ever a move could end.
    The man has a point.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I've read it and frankly, I didn't think it was that good.
    This is the book...

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Base.../dp/0452260302

...and I agree. I actually found it pretty depressing.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

You're Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    This is the book...

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Base.../dp/0452260302

...and I agree. I actually found it pretty depressing.
    I never said it was a shiny, happy funtime book. But neither was "A Clockwork Orange," and that's another one of my absolute favorite books I was ever forced to read for school, so much so that I've re-read it again on my own.

My endorsement stems from the fact that the fact that UBA, no matter how unsettling or depressing, is also very dense and layered in a creative way that still draws the discriminating reader in (as opposed to some books that strike me as dense-for-density's-sake). The fact that the subject matter was baseball, and not (let's say) Melville and all his damned whales and sailors, certainly helped for form this positive opinion.

In anycase, it's an interesting story presented in an interesting way, and is nothing if not thought-provoking.

Rick

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I really liked Moneyball, Trouble with the Curve, Ken Burns Baseball Documentary, and 61.... other than the ones that everyone seems to list.

Always a summer tradition to fall asleep to 61 after a huge reds win.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

I have always liked the Natural. The MLB Network had a really good interview with Bob Costas and director Barry Levinson that leads into the movie. It's certainly with a rewatch if they put it on this summer. They are showing a lot of baseball movies opposite Sunday night baseball. Definitely watching Reds this Sunday, but it's good choice if they have on another Yankee game (yawn).

It is kind of messed up that currently you can't buy the theatrical version of the movie on dvd only directors cut that reorders the movie.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The Sandlot is probably my favorite. I guess it's because like some of the older folks here, I actually played quite a bit of baseball on a sandlot.
    Scenes like having to retrieve a ball from someone's yard (with a fierce dog) or using an autographed baseball in an actual game (sorry Julio Gotay) are totally relatable.

The Natural was too "unnatural" for me. Unlike some of the fantasy films, which were clearly fantasy, I think "The Natural" tried to walk the line of believability and failed miserably with the baseball fan in me.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

8. Likes:

Chip R (06-07-2013)

Just watched An ESPN 30 for 30 film, Catching Hell. Looks at a few famous scapegoat moments in baseball, primarily focusing on the Steve Bartman incident with the Cubs.

Pretty good, it's on Netflix.

I stumbled on this movie,Chasing 3000, a couple of years ago and watched it on one of the movie channels. It wasn't bad at all.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0483586/?ref_=sr_1
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Just watched An ESPN 30 for 30 film, Catching Hell. Looks at a few famous scapegoat moments in baseball, primarily focusing on the Steve Bartman incident with the Cubs.

Pretty good, it's on Netflix.
    Yeah I really like that story. The narrator/director really captures how unfortunate it was for Bartman to touch the ball even though like 4 or 5 other fans also reached for. It was really eye opening for me (since I was a kid when it happened) to see that Alou's antics and the tv broadcast really turned the tides in the series to blame it on him. I also think this was funny because a fan just did something similar to Bartman in the Pirates series here at GABP. Luckily, Heisey didn't throw a fit and the tv broadcast didn't link him to Bartman. Whoever was pitching struck out the batter too.

My other favorite movies:
    Sandlot
    Field of Dreams
    42: Jackie Robinson stroy
    Reds Memories
    The Rookie
    Rookie of the Year
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Ken Burns Baseball is great. 10/10

Moneyball was ok, not great but not bad. 5/10

Bad News Bears with Tatum O Neal is great. 7/10

Rookie Of The Year is good. 6/10

42 was ok, not great but not bad 5/10

The Sandlot though is BY FAR the best baseball movie. 10/10
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

What, no "Angels in the Outfield," or "Mr. 3000?"

I liked "For the Love of the Game," and "Bad News Bears," which my boys have now discovered on mlb network. "Sugar" was a pleasant surprise that was mentioned earlier. A good change of pace movie, was glad I watched it if you can handle subtitles.

Speaking of which, am I remembering that Engelberg put down the middle finger after getting shaken off several times, or was that another baseball movie? Was looking all over google and couldn't find it the other day (classy guy that I am).
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Yeah I really like that story. The narrator/director really captures how unfortunate it was for Bartman to touch the ball even though like 4 or 5 other fans also reached for. It was really eye opening for me (since I was a kid when it happened) to see that Alou's antics and the tv broadcast really turned the tides in the series to blame it on him. I also think this was funny because a fan just did something similar to Bartman in the Pirates series here at GABP. Luckily, Heisey didn't throw a fit and the tv broadcast didn't link him to Bartman. Whoever was pitching struck out the batter too.
    I found it interesting that he offered counter points to the scape goats. What about the crazy pitch before buckner let the ball roll through? What about the fact that the Marlins score 8 runs in the inning.

It almost begs to add the infamous Don Denkinger call. Yeah it was a bad call, but they got the out back (orta didn't score), and they had a few opportunities to close the game that they blew (will clark not catching an easy foul)....

Pretty good, I'm going to recommend it to my Cubs friends.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    The Sandlot is probably my favorite. I guess it's because like some of the older folks here, I actually played quite a bit of baseball on a sandlot.
    Scenes like having to retrieve a ball from someone's yard (with a fierce dog) or using an autographed baseball in an actual game (sorry Julio Gotay) are totally relatable.
    http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/07/24/T...1271374679770/
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?