Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incoming Cardinals fan for this weekend's series. First time in Cincy. Suggestions?

Incoming Cardinals fan for this weekend's series. First time in Cincy. Suggestions?

I am a St. Louis native who this weekend will, for the first time, be gracing America's illustrious Queen City with my presence. I will be attending parts I and II of the three-game set at Great American Ballpark, and I am anxiously looking forward to continuing the National League's most stellar rivalry of the past three years in person. As it is my first time in the Tri-State area, I am eager to enjoy all that Cincinnati is able to offer over the course of a weekend.

I am something of a an urban enthusiast; I am very involved in St. Louis's neighborhood associations and civic activism scene, and I have a deep appreciation for experiencing the urban fabric of American cities, especially in the midwest. I am therefore curious about which districts my friends and I should explore, and I don't mind being directed to the less touristy, more off-the-beaten-path areas that are perhaps more up-and-coming; I would like to see the places that residents of the city of Cincinnati are most proud of these days.

I would appreciate not being sent to the projects, although as a Cardinals fan I'll take what I have coming to me on this form!

Thanks in advance, all.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Welcome.

I always go to Kings Island amusement park and the Newport Aquarium. Cincinnati Zoo isn't bad either. I'm a thrill seeker and love wildlife so that what I do.

Thanks for helping increase our payroll.

4. Likes:

LexRedsFan (06-03-2013)

Re: Incoming Cardinals fan for this weekend's series. First time in Cincy. Suggestion

Thank you for the suggestions.

Re: Incoming Cardinals fan for this weekend's series. First time in Cincy. Suggestion

Are you looking more for daytime attractions or going out at night?

Given your interest in urban renewal I'd suggest looking into the Over-the-Rhine area or Northside if you're looking for something a little further off of the beaten path. If you're looking for something to do during the day I'd suggest checking out Findlay Market or one of the Cincinnati underground tours. For night time activity there are a ton of bars / restaurants in the OTR, my favorites being Neon's and Bakersfield OTR. For Northside I've always loved the Northside Tavern and The Comet.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

If want to brave it, you could always visits the banks before the game. This area is across the street from the Reds stadium and it is always packed with Reds fans. There are a lot of restruants and bars you could check out like Holy Grail, Crave, Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grille, Morelein House, The Yardhouse, and there is even an Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt place on the other side. Again, this is where a lot of Reds fans go, but it is also a good example of an up and coming project that has changed the landscape of the Riverfront.

Furthermore, you could also visit the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum if are inclined to learn more about our team and its past. It is really neat to see all of the history and the greats of past teams and players.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Head up to OTR, for sure.

OTR sounds exactly like your scene. Or go to my personal favorite place in Cincy, Mt Adams.

10. Likes:

JB12 (06-04-2013),remdog (06-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kcbuckeye22 View Post
    Welcome.

I always go to Kings Island amusement park and the Newport Aquarium. Cincinnati Zoo isn't bad either. I'm a thrill seeker and love wildlife so that what I do.

Thanks for helping increase our payroll.
    Did I hear that The Cincinnati Zoo has improved some of its animal habitats? The last time I was there was '98, and at the time I was disturbed at the size of some of the enclosures for big cats and, iirc, elephants. It seems like I heard that improvements have been made. Anyway, 15 years is a long time. One thing I loved when I was there was the red pandas. Sorry; really bad subject-verb agreement there.

I've been to the St. Louis Zoo a couple of times since then, and its one of my favorites, with big, roomy, naturalistic habitats and really fun penguin and bird exhibits. I need to go back to the Cincy Zoo and check out the improvements.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime58 View Post
    OTR sounds exactly like your scene. Or go to my personal favorite place in Cincy, Mt Adams.
    My sister raved about Mt. Adams when she visited a few years back.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Over the Rhine/Findley Market
    There are several great urban parks: I'd go to Eden and/or Ault
    Eat/Drink at Arnold's Bar and Grill. It's the cultural center of the revitalization of Cincinnati's urban core.
    Cincinnati Art Museum or the Krohn Conservatory (could easily be combined with a trip to Eden Park)
    The Zoo is great, with one the country's most mature urban botanical collections.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Reading the OP I immediately thought of "Over The Rhine"

Don't wear a Molina jersey. If you do, don't act like you don't know why people give you a hard time. Enjoy the best food in any ballpark in baseball.

Also check out Covington's german area a good area.. Clifton and the UC campus is a big Urban reneweal slowly going on. Clifton is a fantastic area with a lot of pre and post ww1/2 houses.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    My sister raved about Mt. Adams when she visited a few years back.
    I went to Miami, and Mt Adams reminds me of a grown-up version of Oxford.

Mt. Adams, Over the Rhine, and the Banks are great suggestions. Great restaurants, bars, pubs, and tons of stuff to do and see. Enjoy your stay in Cincinnati USA!!!! .com

Turn Off Ads?