Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: the Difference between Reds and Cardinals

Re: the Difference between Reds and Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by Strike3Called View Post
    LOL.

He meant more proven as in they have more experience and you know what you should be able to expect from them going forward. He means the individual players. Look who the cards are relying on: Mujica, Rosenthal, Miller, Lyons, Matt Carpenter playing 2B for the first time, Freese and Beltran you just don't know how many games they'll miss. The Cards have a lot of rookies and fragile players so these are people who aren't 'proven' and if they are proven (in the case of Freese and Beltran) you just don't know how well they'll hold up. The Reds aren't relying on my rookies so your team is more proven.

LOL cant believe you didn't understand what he meant.
    Regardless of whether they are proven or not...... It's a silly point to argue.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Typical Cardinal logic, lol. Experience only counts if it's in the playoffs. Unbelievable.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Shhh... they is teachin us how to be the best fans ever...

Delete
    Last edited by SporkLover; 06-14-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Come on man I know we are both card fans but why do you have to do this? You just said that we have 'a bunch' of rookies contributing. In my post I acknowledged that we have proven talent and a whole lot of rookies so whats the point of this post? We have a bunch of rookies contributing, period and they have NO rookies contributing so that means that their players have more proven track records than we do, period. Its not about the playoffs...its about baseball games PERIOD.

You know what...that's my fault and I apologize. You disagree with me. You have the right to disagree with me and I shouldn't get bent out of shape about it. Again...I apologize. Its just that I stay away from Cards boards for this very reason and I lurked here for a long time and didn't have to see posts like this and now these posts are everywhere but that is not your problem and I shouldn't take it out on you.
    First of all, you must be all jacked up on some Mountain Dew or something. Chill out.

I simply made a clear point that if you compared the two rosters -- the Cards and the Reds -- the Cardinals have played in far more playoff games. That's it.

If you don't think there's a difference between winning a game deep in October and winning a game in the middle of June... Well, you and I just will never agree.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Regardless of whether they are proven or not...... It's a silly point to argue.
    I disagree wholeheartedly. There's a much bigger pressure in October baseball. I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Typical Cardinal logic, lol. Experience only counts if it's in the playoffs. Unbelievable.
    Well, it does make a massive difference. That's not to say that the Reds couldn't win the division or wild card and then win the Series. They absolutely could. They have the talent. They have some postseason experience. But they haven't broken through that ceiling of winning a series.

Look, it took the Cardinals years of stubbing their toes in the playoffs before winning it all in 06 and later in 11. I'd argue that 06 team was one of the least talented to play for St. Louis in years. But when it came time to perform, they did. I absolutely believe it helped that many of the key contributors had played and won meaningful playoff games before.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 06-14-2013 at 10:31 AM.

[QUOTE=CardsFanBob;2882621I disagree wholeheartedly. There's a much bigger pressure in October baseball. I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.
    Well, it does make a massive difference. That's not to say that the Reds couldn't win the division or wild card and then win the Series. They absolutely could. They have the talent. They have some postseason experience. But they haven't broken through that ceiling of winning a series.

Look, it took the Cardinals years of stubbing their toes in the playoffs before winning it all in 06 and later in 11. I'd argue that 06 team was one of the least talented to play for St. Louis in years. But when it came time to perform, they did. I absolutely believe it helped that many of the key contributors had played and won meaningful playoff games before.[/QUOTE]

The Reds and Cardinals have each made the playoffs twice in the last three seasons. It really doesn't matter how many games in the playoffs they won or played. Playoff experience is playoff experience.

One thing most Cardinals have never done is win a division title. Something many Reds have done twice in the last three seasons. To be honest, it really doesn't matter all that much, what matters is that both teams have been in contention these past three seasons. Just like how many playoff games they won doesn't matter. All that matters is that they experienced the playoffs.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds and Cardinals have each made the playoffs twice in the last three seasons. It really doesn't matter how many games in the playoffs they won or played. Playoff experience is playoff experience.

One thing most Cardinals have never done is win a division title. Something many Reds have done twice in the last three seasons. To be honest, it really doesn't matter all that much, what matters is that both teams have been in contention these past three seasons. Just like how many playoff games they won doesn't matter. All that matters is that they experienced the playoffs.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    First of all, you must be all jacked up on some Mountain Dew or something. Chill out.

I simply made a clear point that if you compared the two rosters -- the Cards and the Reds -- the Cardinals have played in far more playoff games. That's it.
    Trevor Rosenthal has not played in far more playoff games than Brandon Phillips first off. Second I did humbly apologize so id already chilled out before your comment to chill out. Lastly, who has played in more playoff games was not the point another poster and I were talking about when you came in and made the topic about Cardinal playoff experience, so even if your statement was true (which it. isn't) it has nothing to do with the point we were making about the Cardinals having 11 players currently contributing who are either rookies, often injured or playing a defensive position for the first time.

I was talking apples and you came out of nowhere trying to make a point about oranges.
    Last edited by Strike3Called; 06-14-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    I disagree wholeheartedly. There's a much bigger pressure in October baseball. I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.
    Way to put words into my mouth. Never said that October experience isn't valuable.

Putting the thread back into context of post back into the context of the post I quoted........ It is a silly point to argue.

Well, 90% of the topics on sports msg boards are silly points to argure if we're being technical.

The 06 Cardinals team proves the playoffs are a complete crap-shoot.

13. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by ajswartz888 View Post
    The Reds roster is more proven so you would favor them in a playoff series? More proven? Really? How many guys on the Reds roster have World Series rings? How many have even won a playoff series. I disagree with the more proven theory. Sorry.
    LOL.

He meant more proven as in they have more experience and you know what you should be able to expect from them going forward. He means the individual players. Look who the cards are relying on: Mujica, Rosenthal, Miller, Lyons, Matt Carpenter playing 2B for the first time, Freese and Beltran you just don't know how many games they'll miss. The Cards have a lot of rookies and fragile players so these are people who aren't 'proven' and if they are proven (in the case of Freese and Beltran) you just don't know how well they'll hold up. The Reds aren't relying on my rookies so your team is more proven.

LOL cant believe you didn't understand what he meant.
    Trevor Rosenthal has not played in far more playoff games than Brandon Phillips first off. Second I did humbly apologize so id already chilled out before your comment to chill out. Lastly, who has played in more playoff games was not the point another poster and I were talking about when you came in and made the topic about Cardinal playoff experience, so even if your statement was true (which it. isn't) it has nothing to do with the point we were making about the Cardinals having 11 players currently contributing who are either rookies, often injured or playing a defensive position for the first time.

I was talking apples and you came out of nowhere trying to make a point about oranges.

I understand it wasn't your original topic, but ajswartz brought up an interesting question, albeit a little early in the season to discuss, but: Who would you favor in a postseason series? The Reds or the Cardinals?

You say the Reds have more experience. If so, wouldn't that say be a determining factor in deciding who would be favored? It's a simple question, and an interesting one... at least to me.

And to answer your question: No, Trevor Rosenthal hasn't played in more playoff games than Brandon Phillips. Rosenthal has pitched in 7 playoff games. Phillips in 8. (Big difference, I know).

Rosie's stat line in those games: 8.2 IP, 2 hits, 2 walks, 15 Ks, 0.00 ERA, and a WHIP of 0.43.

Phillips stat line in the playoffs: 990 OPS, with 2 homers, and 8 RBIs.

Looks like both guys perform well under the bright lights.

Post season experience is overrated. The 1990's Atlanta Braves had a ton of playoff experience and they had one World Series win to show for it. NO ONE cares what a team did or did not do from year to year. Generally, the playoffs reward the team whose pitching staff can sustain dominance for a month' s time. Whether it is two or three starters and a core group of shut down relievers.... But to say experience makes a team better or worse in the post season because the franchise was there the year before is pretty ludicrous. Look at the 1990 World Series. If experience counted for anything, that Series should have been ALL Athletics. But, in then end, Rijo and the bullpen were lights out, and just being there the previous two years did nothing for Oakland.

Don Cameron
    The man with the right answers

Turn Off Ads?