Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton's Position

Billy Hamilton's Position

So here is a hypothetical:

What if the Reds are able to re-sign Choo, yet Ludwick's contract is relatively untradeable.

Would you consider moving Billy Hamilton back to SS? 2B?

With Choo in CF for 2013 and 2014, and Jesse Winker potentially being ready around 2015, is there room for Hamilton? Would he be able to help the big league club more as a SS or 2B? What would this do to Hamilton's development?

There are zero middle infield prospects currently in the minor leagues. Zack Cozart is probably the biggest weakness in the everyday starting lineup. If Hamilton can't play SS, but he can play 2B, is it worth revisiting the idea of Phillips playing SS beginning next year?

I'm not saying I'm advocating this move at all- my answer is likely that Hamilton should stay in CF, but thought it might be worth having a hypothetical discussion.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Billy Hamilton's Position

No on Phillips to SS. I was wondering myself if using Hamilton in a Chone Figgins role with starts in LF, SS, CF and once in a while at 2B or 3B might not be a good way to use him this year if he starts hitting. Not sure he has much time at 2B though. He needs to hit first.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No to moving Phillips and no to moving Hamilton. If the Reds can get Choo back, it wouldn't be the worst thing to just let Hamilton go back to AAA for a year until that Ludwick contract is up.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No to moving Phillips and no to moving Hamilton. If the Reds can get Choo back, it wouldn't be the worst thing to just let Hamilton go back to AAA for a year until that Ludwick contract is up.
    Agree totally on Phillips. On Hamilton, is this because he'd just be sub-average in the field at SS? Just asking for your judgment.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Agree totally on Phillips. On Hamilton, is this because he'd just be sub-average in the field at SS? Just asking for your judgment.
    Hamilton can be a special defender in center. Leave him there. They didn't make the move to center only to ship him somewhere else in a few months.

When they moved Hamilton to centerfield it was because they wanted to plug a huge weakness in CF (Stubbs). They didn't know at the time that they would later be able to plug that weakness by bringing in Choo. Now that they have an All Star centerfielder in Choo perhaps in retrospect it would have been better to leave Hamilton at shortstop a while longer to see if he could develop into a good one. Ultimately it probably won't matter because Choo is likely not going to be here next year, and even if he does re-sign he will probably be moved to left field.

Hamilton's success or failure as a major league player will be determined solely by his ability to get on base at a high rate. His defense will be at least adequate in centerfield and probably much better than that. The defense and the stolen bases are a given with Hamilton, the question is will he be an out machine or a legitimate offensive asset.

I don't think you plan two years ahead around a 19-year old in single-A. I don't even know that you plan around Ryan Ludwick, a guy whose had two good years in his career. If Choo comes back, then Hamilton stays in AAA, ready to come up if Ludwick doesn't pan out, or ready to replace him in 2015, with Choo taking over LF. If Winker ends up in that mix, deal with it then. Maybe you swap him for a good SS. Beats playing musical chairs.

9. Likes:

Pacman Fever (06-07-2013)

If Billy were to prove himself ready and kick down the door, I'd put him in CF move Choo to LF and have possibly the best defensive OF in baseball (not too shabby on offense either). I'd have not problem making Ludwick my fourth OFer, top RH bat on the bench and DH in interleague games for one year. I also consider trading him at the deadline next year if he's playing well.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Second to what corkedbat said.

As an organization, the Jocketty-era Reds have made good defense a priority. Playing Choo in center field has been a rare exception, albeit a defensible one under the circumstances, but it's an exception nonetheless and I suspect Walt would be thrilled to keep his bat but move his glove to a corner at the first good opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    When they moved Hamilton to centerfield it was because they wanted to plug a huge weakness in CF (Stubbs). They didn't know at the time that they would later be able to plug that weakness by bringing in Choo. Now that they have an All Star centerfielder in Choo perhaps in retrospect it would have been better to leave Hamilton at shortstop a while longer to see if he could develop into a good one.
    The Reds didn't announce Hamilton's move to center field until after the season, and the Choo trade was in December. They could have easily and painlessly reversed course if they'd wanted to, but they didn't, which tells me they'd already seen enough to make up their minds about the long-term shortstop thing.

The rest of your post, agreed.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Billy Hamilton's game-winning inside-the-parker from last night.

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.j...19191&sid=milb

Anyone rethinking this at all after the Ervin pick?

Ervin's value is as a CF. He is likely only 2-3 years away from the bigs as a polished first round college hitter. If Choo is re-signed, Hamilton could be traded or moved. We have a complete dearth of middle infielders in the system. Zack Cozart is the weak link in the lineup, and the aging Brandon Phillips has no heir apparent.

Im still not necessarily advocating it- Just food for thought.
    Go BLUE!!!

Thats a good question. Ervin better stay in center, as it seems his bat probably isn't as valuable in a corner spot. If he stays in center and pops 15-20 hrs a year, you can't turn that down in CF. I would say to keep Hamilton in center for good and react as necessary when Ervin and/or Winker are ready. It will be close to the end of Bruce's contract by then anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Ervin's value is as a CF. He is likely only 2-3 years away from the bigs as a polished first round college hitter. If Choo is re-signed, Hamilton could be traded or moved. We have a complete dearth of middle infielders in the system. Zack Cozart is the weak link in the lineup, and the aging Brandon Phillips has no heir apparent.

Like with Alonso and Grandal, I don't think this pick has much to do or any influence on the MLB roster. Best Player Availble.

However, if I am reading anything into this, it's that the Reds don't expect to re-sign Choo.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

mdccclxix (06-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Just for reference, Phillips and Bruce are signed on for 2017. That's a mile off still.

If they are enamored with Choo enough to spot him 5-100, then that would be bad for Billy. However, if Choo is gone then I can see Ervin - Hamilton - Bruce in the OF, with Bruce even moving to LF if he slows down and/or signs a lifetime Red type contract.

That would be a great defensive outfield in 3 years. Add 4th outfielder with power to supplement and it would be just fine offensively as well.

Of course, if Hamilton himself becomes a 4th or 5th outfielder, then we could be seeing a whole other alignment, one that could really still fit Choo in LF.

We've seen that a 4th OF will get some at bats, so Hamilton and Ervin will be keys.

Choo isn't going to be back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?