Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will it be possible that Votto & Choo each reach base 300 times this year?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Possible

9 64.29%
  • Impossible

5 35.71%

Thread: Will it be possible that Votto & Choo each reach base 300 times this year?

Will it be possible that Votto & Choo each reach base 300 times this year?

In the past 75 years, the only pairs of teammates to get on base 300 times each were Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams on the '99 Yankees and Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell on the '97 Astros.
    So, if Votto and Choo on the '2013 Reds achieve this feat, they will become the third pair in history.

Until today, Votto and Choo have reached base 122 times(72 hits, 47bb, 3hbp) and 116 times(58 hits, 41bb, 17hbp) respectively.

Votto's best record was 299 times(719 PA and .416 OBP) in 2011 and Choo's was 270 times(685PA and .394 OBP) in 2009.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will it be possible that Votto & Choo each reach base 300 times this year?

It's possible in that it wouldn't violate the laws of physics, but it's very unlikely. I doubt either of them reaches base 300 times.

I imagine Choo's HBP numbers will fall back down. That alone will slow him up enough.

Votto can/will make it, I imagine.

I'd love to see that milestone.... I think we'll have a better idea if Choo can sustain once we hit he All Star break.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    I'd love to see that milestone.... I think we'll have a better idea if Choo can sustain once we hit he All Star break.
    Well Choo had been a notorious slow starter until this year...

I hope they try for it down the stretch. I was disappointed last year when Trout didnt make an all out effort to get 50 steals.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    I imagine Choo's HBP numbers will fall back down. That alone will slow him up enough.

Votto can/will make it, I imagine.
    I was at the game Sunday in Pittsburgh when Choo got plunked twice. It's mind boggling to me as he doesn't crowd the plate that much. I hope it's not starting to wear on him though, he looked extremely frustrated both times.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    I'm almost certain they will achieve that feat unless something unusual happens.

Through 102 games, 199 times for Votto and 197 times for Choo.
    60 remaining games, 101 times for Votto and 103 times for Choo.

It's quite feasible.
    Junkhead, love the statistical information you give in your posts. Thanks.

When I first saw this I thought that Rose and Morgan probably each exceeded the 300 threshold at least once during their seasons together on the BRM, given how Rose played virtually every game while racking up 200+ hits a season and given how often Morgan walked.
    I don't think they did so. The closest I found they ever game to both doing so in the same season was 1975. Rose had 210 hits, 89 walks and 11 hit by pitch, for 310 times reaching base, but Morgan had 163 hits, 132 walks and 3 hit by pitch, for a total of 298--in the words of Maxwell Smart, "missed it by that much."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    I'm almost certain they will achieve that feat unless something unusual happens.

Through 102 games, 199 times for Votto and 197 times for Choo.
    60 remaining games, 101 times for Votto and 103 times for Choo.

It's quite feasible.
    For Votto that would be only 70 hits and 31 walks
    For Choo 70 hits and 33 HBP, he would be quite sore.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

Turn Off Ads?