Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best MLB Stadiums

Re: Best MLB Stadiums

For me, PNC is the nicest park I've been to, and it's not particularly close. I haven't been to as many parks as others, and I'm biased, but PNC is awesome.

I personally can't stand Miller Park. I think the place is a dump. I've never been to GABP, so I can't speak to that. But, I used to live in Denver, so I've seen quite a few games in Ccors. I really like the stadium, but the Rockies fans are kind of baseball clueless I've found.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Loved Old Yankee Stadium. Have not been back to the new ballpark yet. The Yankee fans I sat with in the Bleachers were some of the most knowledgeable fans I have ever met. And best of all NO WAVE.

Don Cameron
    A true Adonis

PNC park for sure. My cousin said AT&T park in San Fran is also very nice.

We took a x-country trip by car last summer and caught games at Miller Park, Safeco, Coors and Kaufmann. Get to Nats Park and Camden pretty regularly since local. GABP at least twice a year (so far once in 2013 for the Nats series) Handful of other parks in the past few years.

Find myself largely agreeing with the OP. We loved the atmosphere and vibe at Miller most on the trip. Something about the scene there is what baseball should be everywhere but isn't really most anywhere. Could have better food but that's true for all parks. AT&T is beautiful. Nats Park is new and serviceable with one good food venue but nothing distinctive. Cumberland is right of course about the metro access--big deal. Surrounding area will be developed over the next few years which will make the experience so much better. Safeco is a depressing place for baseball but that's largely because the team is owned by a video game maker that doesn't get or want to get the game. Really like GABP but that may be due to the obvious bias and due to the fact that I think we had the best tour guide to interpret the place for us before we saw our first game there. The "toothbrush" lights and great 8 mural are two of my favorite features.

Fenway and Wrigley are special category with different criteria in my book. All fans of the game should see games at both but neither wins any points for comfort. Then again, have seen a bunch of games at Fenway but never in the Monstah seats. Next time that for sure.
    Last edited by 1940757690; 06-10-2013 at 02:53 AM.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMO View Post
    With GABP being number 1, I would have to put PNC #2. Wrigley has a bad smell, and this is no joke. Going to the bathroom there is worse than rolling in a pigpen, and it lingers throughout the stadium.

I'm glad Busch stadium wasn't on your list. It's nothing special and looks stupid with the big empty dirt field outside of it, and you might get stabbed if you take the wrong exit.

I would put Philly #3, Boston #4, and Houston #5.

This cracked me up cause it's so true! I think once Ballpark Village is complete, it'll be nicer around the Busch Stadium, but now it's a creepy walk to the cheap parking!

I've always liked Camden Yards, AT&T Park and Fenway. Kaufman Stadium in KC is slowly becoming a nice stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Red View Post
    Any one got any thoughts on the New York stadiums? I'm catching a game at both in August just to say i've done it.
    Citi Field is nice and the seating is comfortable with a good view of the game. The food is okay, for the most part, but if this is your first trip to N.Y., all you need to know is a couple Nathan's hot dogs, a hot pretzel with extra mustard, and a beer or two. There are a large variety of beers available.

The biggest drawback to Citi Field is that there's nothing much going on around the stadium, although Brooklyn isn't far away (Junior's, the best cheesecake on the planet).

Yankee Stadium is a corporate environment, although the stadium itself is beautiful. The food and drink menu is too long to mention, but the same food guidelines apply if you haven't been to N.Y.

Some cool bars and pubs within walking distance to the ballpark.

If you've never been, Little Italy is a must, a gastronomic experience that must be felt to be believed.

The subway is the easiest (and cheapest) way to get around.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

9. Likes:

Don Cameron (06-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmiller21kg View Post
    PNC park for sure. My cousin said AT&T park in San Fran is also very nice.
    My 2 personal favorites, by quite a margin.

Quote Originally Posted by cw0802 View Post
    This cracked me up cause it's so true! I think once Ballpark Village is complete, it'll be nicer around the Busch Stadium, but now it's a creepy walk to the cheap parking!

I've always liked Camden Yards, AT&T Park and Fenway. Kaufman Stadium in KC is slowly becoming a nice stadium.

There's a lot of fun to be had around Busch Stadium, and it will get even better once Ballpark Village is complete.

It's really a shame what happened with Ballpark Village. The stadium was built, and as they were finalizing plans for BPV, the economy absolutely tanked. There wasn't much the Cardinals could do but sit on the property until things improved.

Initially, that area was going to have a boatload of office space and condos, as well as bars, restaurants, and retail. I actually have a friend who put a deposit down on a condo, which would have overlooked the stadium. (He's since gotten his deposit back.)

Now, it's waaaay scaled back -- probably for the best, as there won't be vacant spaces just sitting there unused. That would have been depressing. Now, they'll have some office space, but mostly bars, restaurants, and retail, which will draw during baseball season.

But yes, it's an eye sore at the moment. But I assure you... You will have a great time around Busch if you go even now.

I've been to Busch (obviously), Kauffman, Camden Yards, Turner, and now GABP.

I'd rank them 1. Kaufmann, 2. Camden, 3a. Busch 3b. GABP 3c. Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    Citi Field is nice and the seating is comfortable with a good view of the game. The food is okay, for the most part, but if this is your first trip to N.Y., all you need to know is a couple Nathan's hot dogs, a hot pretzel with extra mustard, and a beer or two. There are a large variety of beers available.

The biggest drawback to Citi Field is that there's nothing much going on around the stadium, although Brooklyn isn't far away (Junior's, the best cheesecake on the planet).

Yankee Stadium is a corporate environment, although the stadium itself is beautiful. The food and drink menu is too long to mention, but the same food guidelines apply if you haven't been to N.Y.

Some cool bars and pubs within walking distance to the ballpark.

If you've never been, Little Italy is a must, a gastronomic experience that must be felt to be believed.

The subway is the easiest (and cheapest) way to get around.
    Sweet thanks for the Info, I'll be going to the US Open Tennis before the game at City Field and my ticket comes with a free Hot Dog and Pretzel so will be giving them a go.

Yankee Stadium wont get to experience to many of the bars around as it's a 1pm game then heading straight to see the NY Red Bulls straight after the game....fair to say i'm a bit of a sports nut!

Will be in NY for 7 days so hoping to fit as much in as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Red View Post
    Sweet thanks for the Info, I'll be going to the US Open Tennis before the game at City Field and my ticket comes with a free Hot Dog and Pretzel so will be giving them a go.

Yankee Stadium wont get to experience to many of the bars around as it's a 1pm game then heading straight to see the NY Red Bulls straight after the game....fair to say i'm a bit of a sports nut!

Will be in NY for 7 days so hoping to fit as much in as possible.
    The U.S, Open is a blast. I used to go every year, and then take in a Mets game if schedules allowed.

You used to be able to bring in a cooler, so we would load it up with food and drink (prices there are through the roof). Nobody would bother it, and we would visit it between matches. I especially loved the first few days, there were a dozen matches going on at once (back courts that sat a couple hundred). Saw many a future great on those back courts.

Have lunch by the globe, there's a fountain and a park. That globe was there for the '64 World's Fair. I lived 5 miles from it, and some poor parents had to take the kids in our apartment building every weekend. We took years off their lives.

After 9/11, everything changed. No more coolers, stricter security, different atmosphere. I'm sure it's gotten back to normal, but I haven't been back since 2002.

Have a blast in the city, hit the museums and the Village, and get a pastrami at Carnegie Deli. Maybe a cruise on the Hudson, but bypass the Statue of Liberty unless you have a few hours to wait in line.

If you can make it out to Coney Island (Brooklyn), take a ride on the Cyclone and then hit Lombardi's, the oldest pizzeria in the U.S. They bake 'em in a coal fueled oven, no taste like it.
    Last edited by SpiritofStLouis; 06-11-2013 at 06:41 AM.

15. Likes:

Australian Red (06-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post
    I personally can't stand Miller Park. I think the place is a dump.
    Why did you think it was a dump? To me it seemed very clean and still had the new car smell. The fans were all super cool and the prices were on par with everyone else. I can see ranking PNC above it, but a dump?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    The U.S, Open is a blast. I used to go every year, and then take in a Mets game if schedules allowed.

You used to be able to bring in a cooler, so we would load it up with food and drink (prices there are through the roof). Nobody would bother it, and we would visit it between matches. I especially loved the first few days, there were a dozen matches going on at once (back courts that sat a couple hundred). Saw many a future great on those back courts.

Have lunch by the globe, there's a fountain and a park. That globe was there for the '64 World's Fair. I lived 5 miles from it, and some poor parents had to take the kids in our apartment building every weekend. We took years off their lives.

After 9/11, everything changed. No more coolers, stricter security, different atmosphere. I'm sure it's gotten back to normal, but I haven't been back since 2002.

Have a blast in the city, hit the museums and the Village, and get a pastrami at Carnegie Deli. Maybe a cruise on the Hudson, but bypass the Statue of Liberty unless you have a few hours to wait in line.

If you can make it out to Coney Island (Brooklyn), take a ride on the Cyclone and then hit Lombardi's, the oldest pizzeria in the U.S. They bake 'em in a coal fueled oven, no taste like it.
    I did notice that you can't even take in a flag! Will no doubt catch a few Aussies out on the back courts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlownLead View Post
    Why did you think it was a dump? To me it seemed very clean and still had the new car smell. The fans were all super cool and the prices were on par with everyone else. I can see ranking PNC above it, but a dump?
    I kind of agree where the poster was coming from. It's not that I think Miller Park is a dump, I just don't like the look of it. It's not ascetically pleasing to me.

I've been to GABP, Cinergy/Riverfront, Old Busch, Turner, Camden, Fenway, and SkyDome.

Out of that list, Fenway was my favorite. It's just....Fenway, man.

I'm hitting Camden again this summer when we're in DC... Sadly the nationals are out of town.

Turn Off Ads?