Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best MLB Stadiums

Re: Best MLB Stadiums

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I kind of agree where the poster was coming from. It's not that I think Miller Park is a dump, I just don't like the look of it. It's not ascetically pleasing to me.
    This. I just don't like the look of it. It's hard to describe, but the place just looks dark. And, it's partly based off of the team that occupies the building. I just can't stand the Brewers!

2. Likes:

MikeThierry (06-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The other thing with Miller Park is the shadows and sun field are among the worst in all of baseball. It's almost annoying watching those games sometime on TV, I can't imagine what it would be like trying to play on that field when the shadows and sun field are at it's zenith.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    The other thing with Miller Park is the shadows and sun field are among the worst in all of baseball. It's almost annoying watching those games sometime on TV, I can't imagine what it would be like trying to play on that field when the shadows and sun field are at it's zenith.
    True. I also don't like Miller because it is such a bandbox. In fact, I'm convinced that in a game earlier this year at PNC between the Brewers and Bucs, Ryan Braun let a routine flyball drop at the base of the wall because he was so used to watching the same hit fly over his head for a home run at home. Clint Barmes hit it, and Braun literally stopped about ten feet short of the wall, turned, and watched it drop on the warning track for an RBI double, and it should have ended the inning.

Since i have never ever had the possibility to see a true MLB game (saw a lot of Spring Training games one year) i can only judge the ballparks from TV. And i really like Target Field and Camden Yards. Plus i think the Yankees really did a great job with the new Yankee Stadium. And of course i like GABP (though i think its too hitter friendly). Wrigely Field and Fenway are no brainers. Tradition all the way.

I havent been to even half of the Major League parks, but of the dozen or so that I have been to, nothing, and I mean nothing compares to AT&T park in San Francisco. From the Luxury Suite Seats (watched a Giants/Reds game in one once), to the bleacher seats, every location is great. The view of the Bay, McCovey Cove...awesome. GABP isnt even in the same league as that place.

While I've only been to a few other major league parks, I think GABP is a good, but not great park. Food selection is great with (overpriced) Skyline, Penn Station, Food network, and Smokehouse BBQ. I actually think the smokehouse is the best deal in the park - $12-15 gets you smoked meat with two sides (and the macaroni and baked beans are both good). It's not cheap, but when you're paying $5+ for a hot dog, I think that's a pretty reasonable price.

Beer selection (behind 3rd base line - home run stand or something?) is great for any major event. They're got a bunch of micro stuff including several locals with Madtree (one of my favorite local breweries). Plus, it's about the same price as the macro beers ($8.75 for a 20 oz. Oberon vs. $8.25 for a 16 oz Bud Light from the walk around vendors). You can also take in your own food - great for season ticket holders or those that can't afford (or refuse to pay for) the overpriced food at the park.

Site lines are good, but you can't see left field from the bleacher seats. I personally think the Moon/Sun deck seats are the best place to sit since you never have people walking in front of you and they're reasonably priced. I also like the World series banners, the HOF numbers, and the riverboat/smokestacks (in concept more than execution). The bronze players out front, the Reds HOF immediately adjacent, and the murals in the stadium make this a pretty decent place to take in a game and consider the history of the team (without being over the top and in your face).

Anyway, I've had a great time at games here in the past few years (more so than when the park first opened) and I continue to hope for stadium improvements. I like the idea of doing something with the turf patch in center field.

Always loved Riverfront stadium. Always gave me chills walking in thinking of the Big Reds Machine Days and the 1990 title season. The seats seemed more roomy than the now GABP seats. (If they say more people are obese now, why do they make the seats smaller )
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

#1 AT&T Park #2 PNC, #3 Petco #4 Camden Yards, #5 Dodger Stadium, #6 GABP, #7 Wrigley Field, #8 Fenway Park, #9 Angel Stadium , #10 Coors Field, #11 Kaufmann Stadium, #12 Busch Stadium, #13 Chase Field #14 Sky Dome (Toronto), #15 Oakland Coliseum

I don't like enclosed stadiums, Fenway and Wrigley are up there.because of the historic value.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Always loved Riverfront stadium. Always gave me chills walking in thinking of the Big Reds Machine Days and the 1990 title season. The seats seemed more roomy than the now GABP seats. (If they say more people are obese now, why do they make the seats smaller )
    I have been to old Crosley Field, Riverfront, and of course GABP, my favorite was Riverfront. In 1990 I got a job with Reds security, and I got to work all over the park from the field to the last row of red seats in the upper tier. I can't tell you how I felt when I step on to the turf at Riverfront the first time. and then to be in the same dugout where Tony, Pete, Joe, and the rest made history..fantastic.

Waffle House is opening a restaurant inside Turner Field tomorrow. That has to skyrocket The Ted up everyone's lists.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMO View Post
    With GABP being number 1, I would have to put PNC #2. Wrigley has a bad smell, and this is no joke. Going to the bathroom there is worse than rolling in a pigpen, and it lingers throughout the stadium.

I'm glad Busch stadium wasn't on your list. It's nothing special and looks stupid with the big empty dirt field outside of it, and you might get stabbed if you take the wrong exit.

I would put Philly #3, Boston #4, and Houston #5.

Its hilarious reading your comments directed at the Cardinals and their organization time after time. You are one of the those sour bigots who will go to the end of the earth to cause a problem/situation/argument. Every major city as parts where you wouldn't want to end up in the middle of the night. And that space is being currently worked on thanks...... I can tell living in the MO area has caused you great jealously because of the success of the cardinals. Such a sob story you seem to be.

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

Parks I've been to in order of enjoyment:

1. Old Tiger Stadium...just a classic, not the prettiest joint, and there was a good chance you would come back to a tire-less car, but what a wonderful place to watch a game...I thought I saw Al Kaline in the Tigers dugout, there was that much of a historic feel to it.

2. Petco Park...just a beautiful stadium in one of the most beautiful areas of the U.S. not a bad seat in the place...if only the Padre brand of baseball was more fun to watch. (At least, I saw my Reds destroy them)

3. GABP...I miss it terribly, loved sitting out in the moon deck.

4 a. Angel Stadium....took my future wife there on one of our first dates, they played Oakland and I couldn't even tell you what the final score was. BUT, I do know it's a nice place to watch a ballgame, and I actually enjoy the "water feature" in the outfield that goes off for Angel home runs.

4 b. Coors Field ... Really liked the feel of this one as it was one of the "retro" stadiums and I saw a game the year after it was built. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

5. US Cellular ... The ballpark is largely unremarkable, but Chicago is a great town, and really this is a fun place to watch a game. Take the subway, makes it a lot easier.

6 a. Dodger Stadium ... This one was disappointing for me. Someone else said they thought it carried its age well...they must not have sat in the outfield bleachers...it's a pretty run down area. Could use a face lift. Food was just "ok" and mega expensive.

6 b. Riverfront ... It only gets this high because I'm a lifer Reds fan. I hate astroturf, so the original Riverfront was blech for me. When they did the mini renovation on it, and put in turf and opened up that section of the stadium in left it felt a LOT more like a ballfield instead of a multipurpose stadium.

Honorable mention: Fifth Third Field (home of the Dayton Dragons) ... yes, it's not a major league stadium, but it's such a great place to watch a ballgame that it had to make the list. The front office really goes out of its way to make families feel welcome and have a great time. Plus the stadium is beautiful! Set the all time single season record for consecutive sellouts and still counting.

Turn Off Ads?