Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bronson Arroyo pitches per start

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Bronson Arroyo pitches per start

I'd give him 3/30. The guy keeps in shape and could be pitching into his 40s.
    Wonder if that would be enough.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Likes:

marcshoe (06-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'm completely down with resigning Bronson
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-04-2013),marcshoe (06-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I would imagine those numbers are pretty similar to all of MLB. Big shift in way pitchers are handled in last decade.
    And that is the whole point. Back in 2003, if someone criticized manager x for how long he let starting pitchers go, someone else would invariably trot out the tired manager-x-has-forgotten-more-baseball-than-you-ever-knew line. But maybe what they know is wrong. Maybe we are seeing there are better, more efficient ways to play the game. Maybe, as the game conditions change, strategies have to change accordingly. What worked 40 years ago may not work now. If there is, indeed, a big shift in the way pitchers are handled in 2013, leads me to believe what they 'knew' just might have been wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I would imagine those numbers are pretty similar to all of MLB. Big shift in way pitchers are handled in last decade.
    Actually the numbers are not similar. Here's a list of all the teams and how many times they left they're starter in after 120 pitches in 2003:
    Dbacks-6
    Braves-7
    O's-15
    Red Sox-5
    Cubs-29
    White Sox-5
    Reds-2
    Indians-4
    Rockies-0
    Tigers-2
    Astros-2
    Royals-1
    Angels-1
    Dodgers-9
    Marlins-8
    Brewers-5
    Twins-2
    Mets-9
    Yankees-18
    A's-5
    Phillies-5
    Pirates-4
    Padres-6
    Giants-9
    Mariners-7
    Cardinals-13
    Rays-9
    Rangers-7
    Blue Jays-5
    Expos-26

Only the Expos came even close to Baker's Cubs in 2003.
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

8. Likes:

dfs (06-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    But man, Arroyo has been absolutely awesome since he's been in the Queen City. A guy who can pitch 200+ innings, never miss a start and get you a win the majority of the time are hard to come by. And it's not like his skill set is the kind that suddenly falls off a cliff at age 37 either. And you have to wonder if he's played a part in the development of our young pitching staff.

If he does move on to another team, every time he comes back to GABP he should get a 10 minute long standing ovation.
    I've gone on record and admitted to mistakes/past errors in judgement on this board before, so I'm going to pat myself on the back and say I was one of the probably 1/3 of forum members who vehemently defended Arroyo following his 2011 season.
    It'd be funny to collect some quotes from Oct '11 - Mar '12 and compare them to what's being said now.

Edited to add: I'm not accusing you of anything, Joshua
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I'd give him 3/30. The guy keeps in shape and could be pitching into his 40s.
    Wonder if that would be enough.
    Not saying I disagree, but just curious: What would your general philosophy on makeup of the pitching staff be going forward?
    Cingrani to the pen permanently?
    Cingrani to the pen for 1-3 seasons?
    Don't resign Bailey?
    Keep all the current minor league SP in the minors as insurance until all major league contracts are up?
    Trade Leake before arbitration take his salary too high?

Again, just curious, because I've toyed with the notion that it would be good to bring Arroyo back, and I can't figure out the best course of action either--especially considering that if Arroyo got 3 years, Cingrani, Corcino, Rogers, Stephenson, and Cisco could possibly all have been ready for multiple seasons/right on the verge of being ready by the end of it.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I've gone on record and admitted to mistakes/past errors in judgement on this board before, so I'm going to pat myself on the back and say I was one of the probably 1/3 of forum members who vehemently defended Arroyo following his 2011 season.
    It'd be funny to collect some quotes from Oct '11 - Mar '12 and compare them to what's being said now.

Edited to add: I'm not accusing you of anything, Joshua
    How DARE you!

Yeah. I was back and forth whether or not Arroyo was done, or could come back. I think everyone's glad he proves many Reds fans wrong.

I think he's a valuable resource as essentially the only veteran pitcher we have. I'd love to have a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Cingrani and Chapman/Leake next year. That's one dynamite rotation full of young arms...but also full of inexperience and short tempers. I have no idea what the front office plans on doing. But having tough decisions like these are better than the alternative.

Turn Off Ads?