Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Gee to retire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gordon Gee to retire

Not sure where to put this so the mods can move this if they please.

So was it something he said?

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...ident-gee.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Re: Gordon Gee to retire

Rumor is Brian Kelly to be offered the position as he now says its always been his dream job

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not sure where to put this so the mods can move this if they please.

So was it something he said?

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...ident-gee.html
    I actually got a good chuckle out of his Notre Dame quip. He went to far insulting Louisville, catholics in general,and SEC. The fathers are holy on Sunday and holy hell the rest of the week. Fits nd like a glove after watching them leech off big east (and contributing to the death be football).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-05-2013),LoganBuck (06-04-2013)

He will truly be missed. But only by the folks in the OSU endowment office (no homo).

6. Likes:

coachpipe (06-05-2013),Joseph (06-04-2013)

I don't know why people can't tell a joke anymore. Now you have to check to see if there are any microphones around before you say stuff like this. The Catholics and the SEC should be able to deal with this

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-05-2013),jimbo (06-05-2013),LoganBuck (06-04-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (06-05-2013),TSJ55 (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't know why people can't tell a joke anymore. Now you have to check to see if there are any microphones around before you say stuff like this. The Catholics and the SEC should be able to deal with this
    Were they really jokes though? It's easy to claim "joke" when you've received a lot of negative press.

10. Likes:

KYRedsFan (06-05-2013)

It's not just telling jokes. It's shooting off your mouth. He was told again and again to not shoot off his mouth but he just loved the attention too much. College presidents should be seen and not heard. I'm sure he's a great guy and he's a great fundraiser but if he wants to be an entertainer, he should go to Vegas.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I simply cannot understand why it's so hard to understand that certain professions and positions have standards. He was acting in his official capacity as a taxpayer funded public official. As an attorney, I simply cannot fathom why this doesn't outrage people. If I had a case with a Catholic or a Jewish lawyer on the other side and I started spouting off about how hard it is to negotiate with the Catholics or the Jews, I'd face some serious consequences. In my mind, Gee should be held to the same standard. He runs a public university for God's sake.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I simply cannot understand why it's so hard to understand that certain professions and positions have standards. He was acting in his official capacity as a taxpayer funded public official. As an attorney, I simply cannot fathom why this doesn't outrage people. If I had a case with a Catholic or a Jewish lawyer on the other side and I started spouting off about how hard it is to negotiate with the Catholics or the Jews, I'd face some serious consequences. In my mind, Gee should be held to the same standard. He runs a public university for God's sake.
    I personally am not offended by the comments, but I agree with you 100%. I'd feel the same way if Eli Capiluto made comments as to why Ohio State would never be accepted in the SEC. It's one thing for the common fan to make those jokes, but when you are a coach, athletic director, or a university president, you are held to a different standard.

As I said, as a UK fan I'm not offended. Just reminds me that the SEC is so much more dominant (the seven consecutive national championships and three of the last four Heisman winners speak for themselves) and the only jabs that can be made is about illiteracy and academic integrity. In the words of DeMarcus Cousins, "This ain't no spelling bee."
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I understand where you're coming from but it's only been in recent years that this becomes a firable offense. We had big boy pants to laugh at ourselves until very recently. We got along fine in those days.

I've been called an SEC Shill around these parts a few times and I didn't mind his comments about that league which is far superior to his. The idea is to laugh it off and then come back with some BCS facts to knock him off his game. As a graduate of OSU, I do not want him fired over this

I understand where you're coming from but it's only been in recent years that this becomes a firable offense. We had big boy pants to laugh at ourselves until very recently. We got along fine in those days.

I've been called an SEC Shill around these parts a few times and I didn't mind his comments about that league which is far superior to his. The idea is to laugh it off and then come back with some BCS facts to knock him off his game. As a graduate of OSU, I do not want him fired over this
    I'd raise two points here: (1) this isn't Gee's first time at the rodeo as it pertains to off the cuff remarks; and, (2) I don't see the importance of whether or not you, me, or anyone else was deeply offended by it. The point is you don't make comments/jokes like this in your official capacity as a professional. Save it for the weekend card game or the part time stand up comedy routine. There's a time and place for everything, and Gee simply could not figure that out over the span of decades. If you want to be one of the most high profile individuals in your profession, learn to have a filter.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I'd raise two points here: (1) this isn't Gee's first time at the rodeo as it pertains to off the cuff remarks; and, (2) I don't see the importance of whether or not you, me, or anyone else was deeply offended by it. The point is you don't make comments/jokes like this in your official capacity as a professional. Save it for the weekend card game or the part time stand up comedy routine. There's a time and place for everything, and Gee simply could not figure that out over the span of decades. If you want to be one of the most high profile individuals in your profession, learn to have a filter.
    I agree with what you've said.

The only thing I'll quibble with is having a sense of proportion. I don't consider what he said an outrage. I'd call it more dumb. These kinds of things slide along an analog scale. They aren't a digital all or nothing thing.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Couple of points. What Gee said was behind "closed doors." It could have been a booster meeting or whatever. But it wasn't something the general public was invited too. Granted as a head of a major university you need to be careful with what you say at all times. In essence it was more of a "weekend card game atmosphere" than a public speaking engagement. Taking pot shots at rivals in a fundraising event is going to get a reaction.

What he said about Louisville and UC were pretty much status quo with everyone's thinking. It was well documented that UC has more to offer from and educational stand point to the ACC but they chose Louisville because of their athletic facilities. What he said about not wanting UC in he B1G I have no problem with. You want the 2nd or 3rd largest city in your state to funnel the best to your university.

They should interview Tressel just to make the media howl!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Good riddance......been an embarrassment for a while now.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?