Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bourbon Thread

Re: Bourbon Thread

I'm really liking Wild Turkey Rare Breed right now. Spicy and packs a real punch, but still smooth. Jimmy Russell is a true master.

2. Likes:

Joseph (01-19-2014),KYRedsFan (06-15-2013),WildcatFan (06-12-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I was sad to hear of the passing of Elmer T. Lee, Buffalo Trace's former master distiller and the first person to commercialize a single barrel bourbon (Blanton's). Here's a good article about his legacy http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/bu...t-93.html?_r=0

I picked up a bottle of his signature single barrel, Elmer T. Lee, and have been REALLY enjoying it. Maybe my favorite bourbon right now. It's a high rye but not too spicy--the sweetness takes over on the nose and throughout the taste.

I also got a bottle of Blanton's (given to me, luckily, not sure I'd fork out the cash myself), and it was pretty harsh right upon opening. A splash of water and an ice cube helped mute that a little bit. I'm letting it breathe for a few days to see how it smooths out. The bottle may be my favorite bourbon bottle out there.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the feedback all on Four Roses. I'm thinking about starting off with the regular Four Roses Single Barrel. That seems to be sort of in the middle.
    Finally bought this bottle. Haven't tried it though yet, as I've been on a big beer kick recently.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I've been on a big beer kick recently.
    Me too. Also not so recently and in the future.

Wow, Jim Beam and Makers Mark part of a $16 billion acquisition of Beam by Japanese company Suntory.

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/01/13/3...-japanese.html
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

The deal will create a global spirits portfolio with annual net sales of $4.3 billion, according to the announcement. Brands include Beam's Jim Beam and the Beam family, Maker's Mark and Knob Creek bourbons; Teacher's and Laphroaig Scotch whiskies; Canadian Club whiskey, Courvoisier cognac; Sauza tequila; Pinnacle vodka (and assorted flavored extensions); Suntory's leading Japanese whiskeys Yamazaki, Hakushu, Hibiki and Kakubin; Bowmore Scotch; and Midori liqueur.

Enjoying some Johnny Drum Private Stock this evening. Very nice if you are into smoother bourbons but don't want to break the bank. I usually like more kick but I'll make an exception for this one.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Wow, Jim Beam and Makers Mark part of a $16 billion acquisition of Beam by Japanese company Suntory.

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/01/13/3...-japanese.html
    Re: Makers Mark, the Samuels family sold out years ago, so swapping corporate conglomerate parents should be a minor thing by comparison, as long as they leave things alone. Of course, they probably won't.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

My wife's idea of compromise.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I've found that my new go-to is Bulleit, either Rye or Bourbon. I'm not sure when exactly it happened.

I still experiment with new and exciting booze all the time, but I've noticed that I get this kind when I can't make up my mind. It's cheap for the value, really.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I've found that my new go-to is Bulleit, either Rye or Bourbon. I'm not sure when exactly it happened.

I still experiment with new and exciting booze all the time, but I've noticed that I get this kind when I can't make up my mind. It's cheap for the value, really.
    Very good whisky for the money. I love their rye.

Turn Off Ads?