Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon Thread

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Bourbon Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    You can still call a New York bourbon a "bourbon" however, so long as it meets the requirements of a bourbon. A bourbon does not need to be created in Kentucky to be a bourbon.
    Yep
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    That's fascinating abut the Single Oak Project. I was just talking to our distiller today about the parts of the tree they use. The inner cut tends to be more dense and not as porous, so you get a little less extract from it, but more wood flavor, while the outer is where you really get that vanilla and caramel flavored because the wood is more open. I'd love to read more about that project.

Interesting about the Hudson Bay, too. What did it taste like? Really sweet/smooth, but delicate? Is the mash bill itself all corn, or do you just mean all the corn is from NY?
    Yeah the Single Oak Project website is really worthwhile to read. They go into some detail about the whole process and all. I'm not sure what part of the tree the bottle is that I have bought is from. I'll have to research that a bit more.

As for Hudson Baby Bourbon, it says on the bottle that it's made with 100% New York corn. The taste is awesome. It's smooth, mildly sweet, with hints of vanilla and caramel. I think you can taste a difference between this and a Kentucky bourbon, but it tastes so unique and good by itself. It's the first bourbon producer in NY since prohibition.

4. Likes:

WildcatFan (06-04-2013)

Eagle Rare is delicious. But I think the best bourbon is 1792. talk about smooth

Absolutely love the Four Roses single barrel. I prefer it neat. As someone else mentioned, I typically go rye for a cocktail (Manhattan for me).
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

We are taking a Bourbon Trail vacation later this month. We are new to bourbon but love it like true descendants of Kentuckians should. My entryway was Woodford Reserve and it provides great bang for your buck. My wife loves Knob Creek but I'm lukewarm to it. I look forward to trying everyone's favorites.

Thanks! To legally be a bourbon, it has to be made in the US, though most bourbon is made in Kentucky. There are some other specs as well a producer most follow to fit the "bourbon" moniker
    If I remember correctly from my recent tour of Woodford Reserve, in order for a whiskey to be called a bourbon, it's grain mixture must be made of at least 51% corn, has to be at least 80 proof, and must be aged a minimum of 2 years. Maybe Wildcatfan can verify this. I'll have to look you up at Town Branch. I have friends that live in Lexington and we keep talking about heading over for a tour sometime.

I just got introduced to bourbon a few years ago, but am becoming an avid fan. I haven't yet reached the levels of the some of the higher end bourbons, but I have developed an affection for Woodford Reserve. On the cheaper end I like Evan Williams and if I'm mixing I usually go with something like Very Old Barton.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Absolutely love the Four Roses single barrel. I prefer it neat. As someone else mentioned, I typically go rye for a cocktail (Manhattan for me).
    I read somewhere that most of the cocktails that we now associate with bourbon were originally rye drinks. Rye is grown in the mid-Atlantic states -- Pennsylvania, NY, Maryland -- and for many years Northerners drank rye and Southerners drank bourbon.

With prohibition, rye went into decline. It's production on the East Coast was much more visible, whereas bourbon makers were hidden in the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee.

Confusing the matter is that Canadians use the word "rye" for their own blended whiskeys that may not actually contain any rye wheat. In the US it has to be 51% rye to be labelled as such.

I'm not a foodie about anything. I believe in finding something you like and sticking with it. Four Roses is my go-to.

Love sipping on Jefferson's Presidential select or Old Pogues. Lower down the price point usually keep a bottle of Four Roses single barrel or Makers for tossing on the rocks. Four roses yellow label or makers for mixing.

Wild turkey 101 or rittenhouse for a solid old fashioned
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

I'm not a big whiskey drinker, nor much a drinker at all but I'm partial to Jim Beam's Booker's bourbon. Add a little tap water and that'll do.

I'm not overly familiar with Four Roses. Have seen it before, but never tried it I don't think.

Has anyone tried any of the higher priced bottles of Four Roses? The Single Barrel? Private Selection Single Barrel? Single Barrel Limited 2011 Release? Or the Small Batch Limited 2011 Release?

Just curious. May have to pick up a bottle of 1 of these sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I read somewhere that most of the cocktails that we now associate with bourbon were originally rye drinks. Rye is grown in the mid-Atlantic states -- Pennsylvania, NY, Maryland -- and for many years Northerners drank rye and Southerners drank bourbon.

With prohibition, rye went into decline. It's production on the East Coast was much more visible, whereas bourbon makers were hidden in the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee.

Confusing the matter is that Canadians use the word "rye" for their own blended whiskeys that may not actually contain any rye wheat. In the US it has to be 51% rye to be labelled as such.

I'm not a foodie about anything. I believe in finding something you like and sticking with it. Four Roses is my go-to.
    That's my understanding as well re: rye & cocktails; however, the Old Fashioned is definitely a bourbon drink.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    That's my understanding as well re: rye & cocktails; however, the Old Fashioned is definitely a bourbon drink.
    Hilariously, of all the bourbon/rye cocktails, the Old Fashioned is the one that I would say I've always heard is definitely a rye drink I guess it depends on which bartender you talk to. And the song "Make It Another Old-Fashioned Please" references rye so I always have that in my head.

I also grew up being told that you're never supposed to drink whiskey or bourbon totally straight. They dry out as they age, so you're supposed to add just a splash of water to release the flavor. However, I order whiskey this way all the time and most of the time the bartender misunderstands and gives it to me on the rocks or neat, so this may be an obscure/untrue thing as well. Really I know very little about whiskey, just that I like it. I'm not very discerning.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I also grew up being told that you're never supposed to drink whiskey or bourbon totally straight. They dry out as they age, so you're supposed to add just a splash of water to release the flavor. However, I order whiskey this way all the time and most of the time the bartender misunderstands and gives it to me on the rocks or neat, so this may be an obscure/untrue thing as well. Really I know very little about whiskey, just that I like it. I'm not very discerning.
    A lot of people do add a little bit of water for that very reason. Or, as I usually do, an ice cube or two accomplishes the same thing if you're sipping it slowly.

Some of the twice-barreled bourbons (Maker's 46, Angel's Envy, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked etc.) seem to benefit from a little "breathing" after going from bottle to glass, so I've read. Seemed to work for me with 46 although I don't claim to have a refined palate.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I'm not overly familiar with Four Roses. Have seen it before, but never tried it I don't think.

Has anyone tried any of the higher priced bottles of Four Roses? The Single Barrel? Private Selection Single Barrel? Single Barrel Limited 2011 Release? Or the Small Batch Limited 2011 Release?

Just curious. May have to pick up a bottle of 1 of these sometime.
    Just get the cheapest. Otherwise you'll be overpaying for an incremental quality increase that you won't be able to discern.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Hilariously, of all the bourbon/rye cocktails, the Old Fashioned is the one that I would say I've always heard is definitely a rye drink I guess it depends on which bartender you talk to. And the song "Make It Another Old-Fashioned Please" references rye so I always have that in my head.
    Yeah, I think an Old-Fashioned is a rye drink but I could be wrong. It always me think of Jim Bachus in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, "what could happen to an Old Fashioned?"

Turn Off Ads?