Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Reds re-sign Bronson Arroyo?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 13.00%
  • Yes, but only if he'll sign at discount

31 31.00%
  • No

29 29.00%
  • Maybe (Wait to see how this season goes)

27 27.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re-Sign Bronson Arroyo?

Re: Re-Sign Bronson Arroyo?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Well it depends on the discount. 1 year, less than $5M. Doubt he takes it, but you never know, and you can never have enough pitching.
    I think he'll get at least 1/10 or 2/20, maybe more. I'd make him a 1 year qualifying offer, and I'm happy if he takes it or he walks (and we get a pick).

If he takes it and Homer won't extend, I think about trading Bailey or Leake for a young ML-ready LF or a SS. (Maybe packaging Bailey with Lutz for Profar?)
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I picked maybe and, provided the season continues to go well, I'll probably fall into the "yes, but at a discount" group.

Aside from that, I think it's kind of awesome that Arroyo's about to become the first pitcher since Mario Soto to record 100 wins in a Reds uniform.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Love Bronson, probably a Reds Hall of Famer, but they'll need the money for Bailey, Leake, Latos, and other younger guys.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Hard to imagine a situation where this becomes a smart move, but I'm gonna hate seeing him go. His flowing locks will live in Reds lore forever.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Does anyone here not even make a qualifying offer?
    I wouldn't, unless they are willing on keeping him. He'd be foolish to turn down 14 million (about what the qualifying offer would be.) Nobody in their right mind would pay that much, plus give up a draft pick for him.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

All time, the Reds are 8-0 in games in which Arroyo is the starting pitcher and I'm in attendance at the ball park.

My wife and son recently attended their first ever Reds game against the Cubs. Arroyo was the starter, and the Reds won. Their each 1-0 now in games where Arroyo is the starter.

I voted yes, but admittedly, I may be a bit biased.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Love Bronson, probably a Reds Hall of Famer, but they'll need the money for Bailey, Leake, Latos, and other younger guys.
    The big difference between Arroyo and the above (Leake, Latos, Bailey -- add Cueto to that mix too) is that Arroyo can probably be had on a 2 or 3 year deal whereas everyone else is going to be looking for a 5-7 year deal. That's a long time to financially commit to a pitcher, much less several pitchers.

I don't know that the Reds will have the cash (or the will, in some of these cases) to sign more than 1 or 2 to a market-rate deal, and I don't know they have in-house options to fill 3 rotation spots over the next 3 years.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    It just depends on how Leake finishes the year and how Cingrani progresses. Arroyo gives up 35 starts and 200 IP EVERY YEAR with an ERA under 4, amazingly consistent.
    Also, we should see who we draft here soon, always a chance we snatch up one or 2 polished college SP who are similar to Leake.

Our depth for 2014 if we resign Arroyo:

Cueto
    Latos
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Leake
    Cingrani

Corcino ( I would turn him into a RP)
    C Rogers (will be in AAA)
    Stephenson (prob will be in AA)

So honestly if we didn't keep burning money on RP, Masset, Madson and Broxton, we would have better chances to afford Arroyo. This team needs to keep developing big time pitching
    Don't think this year's draft will have an iota of impact on what we do with Arroyo, because even if we decide to keep him, it would not be beyond one year IMO- and no one we're taking at 27 or 38 will be in the big league rotation next year.

Also, agree that we've been burning good money on RP, but Madson and Masset (2/3 of your example) will be off the books heading into next year. Broxton does hurt though.

I'd demote Corcino if he's not hurt. See if he can still be a starter in AA. He's not even 23 yet, and there is no rush or lack of depth. If he continues to falter, and he's not injured, then you can make him into a reliever or trade him to a team that still sees greatness. I think Rogers is a big league reliever as well, although I'd also be trying to use him as trade bait to someone who sees the shiny numbers.

Keep Cingrani as a starter (obviously) and maybe try Chapman too if Marshall is healthy over the offseason. Marshall and Broxton make WAYYYY too much money to have someone else closing.

Getting back to the original point of the thread, I'd make BA a qualifying offer, and let him walk if he wants a nickel more than that. I don't go 2 years and I don't commit a penny or day more than the $13 or 14 million one year qualifying offer- and that's only if he continues to pitch the rest of the year like he has the first two months. My first priority would be to resign Latos and Bailey (and possibly Choo if he'll take a 3 year deal after that). If any two of those happen, it's bye bye (and thank you) Bronson. However if none of those three are signed/extended by the end of the year, I'll give Bronson the qualifying offer.

Worst case scenario he takes it and you trade Leake or Bailey (now that you know he won't extend) for a young promising major league SS or LF. Profar and Puig are two guys who fit that bill and I'd love to see in Red, but I doubt it will ever happen.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-05-2013 at 12:33 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Hard to imagine a situation where this becomes a smart move, but I'm gonna hate seeing him go. His flowing locks will live in Reds lore forever.
    I could imagine him coming back if a starter has an injury (knock wood it doesn't happen) that could keep him out a significant part of 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    All time, the Reds are 8-0 in games in which Arroyo is the starting pitcher and I'm in attendance at the ball park.

My wife and son recently attended their first ever Reds game against the Cubs. Arroyo was the starter, and the Reds won. Their each 1-0 now in games where Arroyo is the starter.

I voted yes, but admittedly, I may be a bit biased.
    I guess your karma is better than mine. Each year my parents come to town and we go to a Reds game. Almost every year it is 110 degrees in the stands and Bronson is on the mound for the Reds and gets hammered early and often. I don't think my parents have witnessed a Reds victory since the new stadium opened. I guess this year we should pick a day when you are going to be there too. Maybe our luck will change.

I wanted the Reds to pay Cespedes AND Puig, but neither happened. I thought one of those 2 guys would have been PERFECT for this team, especially protecting Votto for the next decade. Not to mention, both players played with Chapman for Cuba so it'd be nice for the players to reunite with each other in Cincinnati. The Reds def need a true #4 RH prospect who can play LF. That is who I am looking at in the draft along with PITCHING and PITCHING

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think he'll get at least 1/10 or 2/20, maybe more. I'd make him a 1 year qualifying offer, and I'm happy if he takes it or he walks (and we get a pick).

If he takes it and Homer won't extend, I think about trading Bailey or Leake for a young ML-ready LF or a SS. (Maybe packaging Bailey with Lutz for Profar?)
    I think players like Arroyo would jump at a qualifying offer, after seeming what turning one down did to Bourn, Lohse and the others. They all got much less than they thought. Those draft picks are too valuable these days.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I like Bronson, and if they can AFFORD TO, and it's a reasonable rate in years/money, then do it. But not if it prevents them from throwing da' money at Choo. We have to do everything possible to bring this guy back.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-05-2013 at 05:05 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

If they can bring him back with no more than a two year contract at whatever the going rate is for someone like BA, then I say do it. I'm a firm believer in you never have enough pitching. BA is never hurt (knock on wood) and consistently gives you 200 innings. Not many pitchers do that in todays game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I love me some Bronson but I am ready for him to be gone....not this year, but next....it has nothing to do with his performance or anything like that, I just am of the opinion that his salary needs to be used elsewhere on other pitchers to make this team a force for the next 5-7 years.....I am not looking at next year or the year after, I am looking at 5 years from now and the fact that I really dont want Mat or Homer or JC to walk, I want them in a Reds uni for 5-7 more years.....toss in a side helping of Cingrani and Leake and you have a really good staff for the next 2 years...then Leake will start getting preicey so we will have Bronson money for Mike LEake...BAM there is our staff for the next 5-7 years......and that still allows us wiggle room for a injury, a trade or someone like Homer just not wanting to be here.....we will have a few minor league pitchers who are not far from scratching the surface of GABP in a few years so the wiggle room is there.....

I just dont see to many good scenarios where keeping Bronson will be helpful to this team.....maybe it will, I dont know.....thats why I am a fan and Walt gets paid big money to make these choices....that way I can get on here and blast him if he screws up!!!!!!

Honestly though, we are getting to that point in our teams life where players that we love are going to either get traded or let go at the end of their contract.....Walt will continue making trades and if he does I think we will continue to have minor league players knocking on the door and minor league pitchers forcing our hand......its not a bad problem to have but Walt will have to gamble on some of those choices and some will not work out, lets just hope a few do work out in our favor.....

Turn Off Ads?