Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Reds re-sign Bronson Arroyo?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 13.00%
  • Yes, but only if he'll sign at discount

31 31.00%
  • No

29 29.00%
  • Maybe (Wait to see how this season goes)

27 27.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re-Sign Bronson Arroyo?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Re-Sign Bronson Arroyo?

In another thread, I said I'd offer him 3/30. I hadn't thought of going with a qualifying offer, which now sounds like a good idea, but if he took the 3/30 in light of a qualifying offer, I'd still give it to him.

Bailey is going to be a FA in 2015 as is Cueto. Latos is a FA in 2016 (Leake also). I can see the Reds keeping one of Bailey and Cueto and the money its going to take will preclude taking the other. I think Bailey's going to get offers the REDS won't match. I could see them dealing him to get some value at some point also and to bring Cingrani in earlier.

I don't know if Arroyo can keep his performance up, but he seems to have the body and arm type that ages well. I think its a reasonable calculated risk and it fills a spot in the rotation with a vet-type guys. Other spots will have to be filled by farm products.

Your 2016 rotation:
    expensive Cueto
    expensive Latos
    Arroyo (in last year of 3/30 contract)
    Cingrani (last cheap year)
    Stephenson (cheap)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

I voted maybe as I'm honestly not really sure what I'd do at this point.

On one hand, I think Arroyo might be the type of pitcher who can succeed well into his late 30s using the same stuff, location and movement that we're seeing now. On the other hand, I think RedsManRick is correct that Arroyo does have a smaller margin for error and he might be at risk of going off a cliff soon. Which do I think is more likely? Flip a coin, because I really don't know.

The only thing I do know is Arroyo has been an incredible asset for the Reds for eight seasons now. He's on pace to average well over 200 innings each year for eight straight years and currently has a 106 ERA+ for the Reds. He's a massive innings eater, and he's giving us above average results in all those innings. That type of performance is valuable, very very valuable. It's the type of production that might be a bit hard to appreciate on a daily basis, but we'll all likely miss it when it's gone.

Plus, as M2 said, Arroyo should get 100 wins in a Reds uniform which will be very cool.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

4. Likes:

Red in Chicago (06-05-2013), Tom Servo (06-05-2013)

Yes re-sign him. He is Old Faithful to this team. He will make a solid 5th starter for a few more years while Cingrani learns more.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I said no, but shed a tear as I did it. Bronson's already going to be on the team payroll into the next decade with that deferred $15 million, and I just feel in my gut that in a couple years he's going to be on the path to Moyerville. He'll go down as one of my favorite Reds ever to watch.

Now, if for some reason he wants to come back at 6-7 million a year just to stay in Cincinnati and play for a team built to win for a long time, I say welcome back. But the way free agent starter contracts are going, I bet he'll be signed for more than that.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    In another thread, I said I'd offer him 3/30. I hadn't thought of going with a qualifying offer, which now sounds like a good idea, but if he took the 3/30 in light of a qualifying offer, I'd still give it to him.

Bailey is going to be a FA in 2015 as is Cueto. Latos is a FA in 2016 (Leake also). I can see the Reds keeping one of Bailey and Cueto and the money its going to take will preclude taking the other. I think Bailey's going to get offers the REDS won't match. I could see them dealing him to get some value at some point also and to bring Cingrani in earlier.
    This is the way I see it too, I just don't think it's realistic to expect the Reds to keep each of Cueto, Latos, and Bailey.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Maybe.

Depends on whether the off season comes and the Reds can count on the other 5 (Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani) for 2014. If they can then it's time to say thanks for the memories and then sign 1-2 cheap fa's on minor league deals for depth.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

I voted no, but if he'll come back for a couple million then sure.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Man, this is a toughie I've been kicking around for a while. He's pitching well, and heck he's been better at GABP than on the road. I wonder about his positive effect teaching pitching to Cueto, Latos, and especially Leake. But I have a feeling at some point, like quite often in games, he's going to hit a brick wall. I think at this point, you make him a qualifying offer and see if he takes it. I would think he would. He seems to have settled in here, and is quite comfortable.

11. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (06-05-2013)

I'm kinda torn. Arroyo is a workhorse, but only time will tell when he starts giving it up big time. I can see him pitching into his 40's due to his durability, but it's probably going to be out of the bullpen.

I'd try for a 1 year deal at a discount, which he's probably not gonna take.

Never missed a start.......

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Never missed a start.......
    which given cueto's dl stints, might be enough reason to bring him back

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    which given cueto's dl stints, might be enough reason to bring him back
    Has today's events with Cueto changed anyones mind?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Has today's events with Cueto changed anyones mind?
    For the record, I had already voted to bring him back (if at a discount) prior to this announcement.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I said maybe but I'd lean towards no for a few reasons the biggest of which is money. Seems Homer and Latos are the 2 that need to be paid now. Leake in a few seasons perhaps and that should leave some room for guys like Cingrani (if he can improve his repertoire) and Stephenson. Cueto is starting to scare me, not sure we will be able to continue to count on him going forward.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

No way, money can be better spent locking up one of our other rotation guys.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?