Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ump ejects player (from a game that's already over)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Ump ejects player (from a game that's already over)

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Re: Ump ejects player (from a game that's already over)

MLB umpires are terrible. They have turned into a running joke. Instant replay is a mandatory now, this non sense can't continue.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

3. Likes:

DocRed (06-05-2013),redsrule2500 (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    MLB umpires are terrible. They have turned into a running joke. Instant replay is a mandatory now, this non sense can't continue.
    Randazzo has a history of being a blue howl. He's exactly the type of ump that needs to be disciplined by mlb.... he blew an important call at a meaningful moment then blew his stack in a meaningless moment and created a story where umpires can be portrayed as overreacting to a player and taunting a manager.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

5. Likes:

DocRed (06-05-2013),redsmetz (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Randazzo has a history of being a blue howl. He's exactly the type of ump that needs to be disciplined by mlb.... he blew an important call at a meaningful moment then blew his stack in a meaningless moment and created a story where umpires can be portrayed as overreacting to a player and taunting a manager.
    I think you're hitting the nail on the head. I noticed that the umpire gave no indication that he considered the ball to have been fouled. Now whether that's required, I don't know, but it would have gone a good way to not precipitating what occurred. Likewise, as you note, there was no reason for the ump to have done anything but to have ignored the player on his way off the field.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think you're hitting the nail on the head. I noticed that the umpire gave no indication that he considered the ball to have been fouled. Now whether that's required, I don't know, but it would have gone a good way to not precipitating what occurred. Likewise, as you note, there was no reason for the ump to have done anything but to have ignored the player on his way off the field.
    There is no reason for the umpire to signal because what he saw was simply a foul ball and signaling for a foul ball is not always required.

Also the umpire has jurisdiction over the field the minute he is on it to the minute he is off it. He was totally in his right to eject the player because if the precedent is set that players can act however they wish with no repercussions even if the game is over then there will be many problems.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 06-05-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

8. Likes:

Bumstead (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    There is no reason for the umpire to signal because what he saw was simply a foul ball and signaling for a foul ball is not always required.

Also the umpire has jurisdiction over the field the minute he is on it to the minute he is off it. He was totally in his right to eject the player because if the precedent is set that players can act however they wish with no repercussions even if the game is over then there will be many problems.
    I understand what you're saying. It appears that umpires giving a bit of a brush signal clarifies that it's a strike, albeit as a foul ball. In this case Randazzo gave no indication, which generally means it's a ball. Just a cursory reading indicates strikes are to be called with some signal and a ball without one (one site I read indicated this is what they're taught, but acknowledged, each ump takes on their own system). After he handed the catcher a new ball, he raised his hand. I was thinking he was holding up one finger indicating he called it a strike, but looking at it a second time, it seems more to be a timeout signal, although that would seem unnecessary since there was no one on.

Again, I'm not fan of umpires who don't have thicker skin. I think this ump blew the call. He could have mitigated the situation had he given some clearer indication that he believed it was a strike. Finally I agree with those who have said, MLB needs to do a much better job of policing their umpires. There are too many that are really rummies, IMO.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

10. Likes:

Always Red (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

This. While on the field, players are required to conduct themselves accordingly.

Players going crazy on calls they disagree with is just wrong, sorry. If the ump needs to be approached, then it has to be by the manager, period. It's his responsibility to represent the team on the field. Who would you rather be tossed from a game, Joey Votto or Dusty Baker?

I'm not talking about a players initial reaction of disbelief. I'm talking about when the player just blows up and has to be restrained. There is no excuse for it. At that point, they need to walk away and let the manager handle it. That's his job.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

12. Likes:

George Anderson (06-05-2013)

Regardless of whether the game was over, act like a donkey's rear end, you probably deserve to be run even if it's meaningless. Complaining about a meaningless gesture seems as bad as the gesture itself.

The announcers are acting like idiots anyhow, like they're so perfect they'd never miss a call.

Frankly, I think the complaining about umpires has gotten far worse than the actual umpiring.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

14. Likes:

bengalsown (06-05-2013),Big Klu (06-05-2013),Bumstead (06-05-2013),CySeymour (06-05-2013),George Anderson (06-05-2013),Hubba (06-05-2013),JB12 (06-05-2013),jimbo (06-05-2013),lidspinner (06-05-2013),OGB (06-05-2013),Roy Tucker (06-05-2013),texasdave (06-05-2013),traderumor (06-05-2013),TSJ55 (06-05-2013),westofyou (06-05-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

The player might get fined... cha-ching. Ejections sometimes involve more than having to leave a game/dugout.

16. Likes:

Hubba (06-05-2013)

Announcer called him a clown. Didn't Marty and Joe get called to MLB for complaining like that about umps? Whether its a bad call or not, there is no place for announcers to editorialize about it that way. It does no good.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Announcer called him a clown. Didn't Marty and Joe get called to MLB for complaining like that about umps? Whether its a bad call or not, there is no place for announcers to editorialize about it that way. It does no good.
    Does no good for who exactly? The MLB Monopoly?

Having the announcers actual opinions is refreshing and appreciated, I don't want sugar-coated crap. MLB already has a linch pin on their mouths, why are you supporting this be taken even further to the point that they are simply MLB-Corporate talking clones?
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

everyone that complains about umpires, let me ask you this......would you rather see robots out there making calls and getting everything 100% correct? and you cant tell me that a MLB batter will not question a robots call, they will say that computers can be tampered with, they will say computers can be wrong too....

one of the reasons that sports are so fun to watch, at least according to me, is that humans play the game and humans moderate the game.....there will be mistakes on a nightly basis but the simple fact that these umpires get it right 90% of the time is amazing to me.....when a tv crew puts a play at the plate or at first base in slow motion and we see that the umpire truly got the call correct, I usually sit in amazement at how he got that right......umpires normally get the "bam-bam" calls right.......

I umpire kids games and slow pitch softball from time to time and I will admit to the teams before the game that I will give it 100% effort and they can get on my if I am not hustling to a play or not getting myself in correct postion to make the call but dont argue a close call that I make because I will not change my call.....and you will be correct from time to time, I will mess up a call....its not easy making a call at first when the difference in ball hitting glove and foot hitting bag is so minute that I dont even know if I am making the right call or not......

I agree that umpiring has been bad this year and I agree that maybe more teaching and more replays should occur.....but to argue a call such as the one in the video is meaningless, how can Mike Aviles argue that call thinking that he would have not called the exact same thing? the commentators on TV act as if that was the worse call they have seen in long time.....looked pretty close to me.

I was watchign the Miami Heat and Pacers the other night and the ball goes out of bounds off one of the players......I could have swore it hit a guy in the hand and the replay showed it hitting a guy in leg......there is almost no prefect way to call that in real time, thank god they have replay but in real time how can anyone expect those guys to be 100% on those calls?

Like I said, I am amazed at how many times i see a replay and admit that the umpire was in fact, correct when I sat in my recliner and would say that he missed that call by a mile.

20. Likes:

Hubba (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    everyone that complains about umpires, let me ask you this......would you rather see robots out there making calls and getting everything 100% correct? and you cant tell me that a MLB batter will not question a robots call, they will say that computers can be tampered with, they will say computers can be wrong too....

one of the reasons that sports are so fun to watch, at least according to me, is that humans play the game and humans moderate the game.....there will be mistakes on a nightly basis but the simple fact that these umpires get it right 90% of the time is amazing to me.....when a tv crew puts a play at the plate or at first base in slow motion and we see that the umpire truly got the call correct, I usually sit in amazement at how he got that right......umpires normally get the "bam-bam" calls right.......

I umpire kids games and slow pitch softball from time to time and I will admit to the teams before the game that I will give it 100% effort and they can get on my if I am not hustling to a play or not getting myself in correct postion to make the call but dont argue a close call that I make because I will not change my call.....and you will be correct from time to time, I will mess up a call....its not easy making a call at first when the difference in ball hitting glove and foot hitting bag is so minute that I dont even know if I am making the right call or not......

I agree that umpiring has been bad this year and I agree that maybe more teaching and more replays should occur.....but to argue a call such as the one in the video is meaningless, how can Mike Aviles argue that call thinking that he would have not called the exact same thing? the commentators on TV act as if that was the worse call they have seen in long time.....looked pretty close to me.

I was watchign the Miami Heat and Pacers the other night and the ball goes out of bounds off one of the players......I could have swore it hit a guy in the hand and the replay showed it hitting a guy in leg......there is almost no prefect way to call that in real time, thank god they have replay but in real time how can anyone expect those guys to be 100% on those calls?

Like I said, I am amazed at how many times i see a replay and admit that the umpire was in fact, correct when I sat in my recliner and would say that he missed that call by a mile.
    Yes I would like seeing robots. I like the calls being correct and if that is what it takes then so be it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

22. Likes:

Chip R (06-05-2013),dwyerbrg (06-05-2013),mth123 (06-05-2013),pahster (06-05-2013)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yes I would like seeing robots. I like the calls being correct and if that is what it takes then so be it.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Do we do this in basketball, football, hockey, soccer, cricket, rugby, and the olympics as well? There are a lot of sports directly influenced by umpire judgement calls.

I prefer human umpires in all of these sports because of the element of skill and deception that goes in to feathering an outside corner to get a called strike, the drama it creates in discussing what might happen in a game based on umpire trends, and the fact that it holds people accountable. Right now we have a thread talking about replacing umpires with robots, but also recently had a thread about how the increase of cursing in MLB is concerning. Having automated umpires won't solve the problem of players acting like divas or arguing with one another or people getting their feelings hurt in a game. And it isn't outside of the realm of possibility that instead of CB Bucknor getting known as the horrible umpire, the computer in Atlanta will be known as the one that is always a little out of whack.

The problem is that accountability for umpires at the MLB level is very low, IMHO. I think the solution should involve fixing umpires and getting them better at their jobs before it involves removing umpires and having computers dictate all calls in a game that is significantly more fluid than maybe we are giving credit for.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

25. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (06-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?