Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ump ejects player (from a game that's already over)

Re: Ump ejects player (from a game that's already over)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I think football uses replay very extensively and in college football they do it the right way. They use the technology available to them and don't ignore it like baseball does. Basketball is more limited in how they can use replay because the action is more fluid and non stop. There's plenty of complaining in other sports too. I stand by statement, if a robot can do a better job and get the call right, then so be it. I can live with the calls being made by a machine.
    But in football you have a huge number of highly influential judgement calls being made in a game as well- holding, pass interference, roughing the passer, unsportsmanlike conduct, chop blocks, etc. that all have huge impact on the game. The parallel to baseball is that when you have hundreds of judgement calls in a game, it doesn't matter if they are strike calls or safe calls or PI calls- they are true judgement calls.

If your stance is that MLB needs to look at expanding replay, then I agree with you and I think you would he hard pressed to find someone on this board who didn't. But replacing MLB umpires with robots is very different than expanding replay.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    There is no reason for the umpire to signal because what he saw was simply a foul ball and signaling for a foul ball is not always required.

Also the umpire has jurisdiction over the field the minute he is on it to the minute he is off it. He was totally in his right to eject the player because if the precedent is set that players can act however they wish with no repercussions even if the game is over then there will be many problems.
    This. While on the field, players are required to conduct themselves accordingly.

Players going crazy on calls they disagree with is just wrong, sorry. If the ump needs to be approached, then it has to be by the manager, period. It's his responsibility to represent the team on the field. Who would you rather be tossed from a game, Joey Votto or Dusty Baker?

I'm not talking about a players initial reaction of disbelief. I'm talking about when the player just blows up and has to be restrained. There is no excuse for it. At that point, they need to walk away and let the manager handle it. That's his job.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

4. Likes:

George Anderson (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    But in football you have a huge number of highly influential judgement calls being made in a game as well- holding, pass interference, roughing the passer, unsportsmanlike conduct, chop blocks, etc. that all have huge impact on the game. The parallel to baseball is that when you have hundreds of judgement calls in a game, it doesn't matter if they are strike calls or safe calls or PI calls- they are true judgement calls.

If your stance is that MLB needs to look at expanding replay, then I agree with you and I think you would he hard pressed to find someone on this board who didn't. But replacing MLB umpires with robots is very different than expanding replay.
    If they expand replay and get most of the calls right I'm all for it. But if a computer or robot can do it better then why not?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    everyone that complains about umpires, let me ask you this......would you rather see robots out there making calls and getting everything 100% correct?
    Yes.

7. Likes:

Raisor (06-05-2013)

[QUOTE=lidspinner;2872764]would you rather see robots out there making calls and getting everything 100% correct?

Absolutely I would! If you can get the call right every time, which robots have been proven to get balls and strikes right every single time, then you have to do it.

How can people object to making the game as fair as possible?

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-05-2013)

[QUOTE=Red Buckeye;2872820]
    would you rather see robots out there making calls and getting everything 100% correct?

Absolutely I would! If you can get the call right every time, which robots have been proven to get balls and strikes right every single time, then you have to do it.

I missed it.

When did a robot or another non human form ever call a game at any level?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

For a Level Playing Field

Like the calls tend to even out in the end?

<not aimed at you lidspinner> Why not have a robot do all of our jobs? I am sure we are all guilty of human error in our jobs. Make it a perfect world. UTOPIA! Be kind of boring, but "perfect" is the way to go. Now how will we make money for ourselves? Perhaps the robots can give us money.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I missed it.

When did a robot or another non human form ever call a game at any level?
    Did you miss that game managed by Issac Asimov?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Did you miss that game managed by Issac Asimov?
    Im waiting for R2 D2 to call a game one day.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

everyone that complains about umpires, let me ask you this......would you rather see robots out there making calls and getting everything 100% correct? and you cant tell me that a MLB batter will not question a robots call, they will say that computers can be tampered with, they will say computers can be wrong too....

one of the reasons that sports are so fun to watch, at least according to me, is that humans play the game and humans moderate the game.....there will be mistakes on a nightly basis but the simple fact that these umpires get it right 90% of the time is amazing to me.....when a tv crew puts a play at the plate or at first base in slow motion and we see that the umpire truly got the call correct, I usually sit in amazement at how he got that right......umpires normally get the "bam-bam" calls right.......

I umpire kids games and slow pitch softball from time to time and I will admit to the teams before the game that I will give it 100% effort and they can get on my if I am not hustling to a play or not getting myself in correct postion to make the call but dont argue a close call that I make because I will not change my call.....and you will be correct from time to time, I will mess up a call....its not easy making a call at first when the difference in ball hitting glove and foot hitting bag is so minute that I dont even know if I am making the right call or not......

I agree that umpiring has been bad this year and I agree that maybe more teaching and more replays should occur.....but to argue a call such as the one in the video is meaningless, how can Mike Aviles argue that call thinking that he would have not called the exact same thing? the commentators on TV act as if that was the worse call they have seen in long time.....looked pretty close to me.

I was watchign the Miami Heat and Pacers the other night and the ball goes out of bounds off one of the players......I could have swore it hit a guy in the hand and the replay showed it hitting a guy in leg......there is almost no prefect way to call that in real time, thank god they have replay but in real time how can anyone expect those guys to be 100% on those calls?

Like I said, I am amazed at how many times i see a replay and admit that the umpire was in fact, correct when I sat in my recliner and would say that he missed that call by a mile.

I will take the robots ...especially on balls and strike calls. You see zones moving all game sometimes and expanding/shrinking near the end of the game. I want to watch the players....not some official making a judgement call or just a plain out bad call.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

For the record, if we had robots calling the strike zone, fans would still complain. Can you imagine the outrage if they started calling those pitches at the upper edge of the strike zone a strike? I haven't seen one of those called in ages.

For the record, if we had robots calling the strike zone, fans would still complain. Can you imagine the outrage if they started calling those pitches at the upper edge of the strike zone a strike? I haven't seen one of those called in ages.
    I have always said if they did ever go to a computerized system people would still complain. MLB gives the big market team a different computerized zone or such and such superstar. You will never make people happy.

Then you adjust it and make sure everyone knows what it is?
    The good hitters are going to hit. The games might even move a lot smoother and faster. Give me Giant Robot. Gigantor too.

High five!

I'm all for a replay system and computer-assisted pitch calling to augment the current umpiring crew. Managers get two-three challenges each game and if they're wrong, they lose a remaining challenge or forfeit an out/base if they don't have a remaining challenge.

I could care less if it "slows down" the game but I'd have to try to care less which would actually be caring more...PARADOX.

Another terrible call by an arrogant ump that leads to him ejecting someone because of a blown call...so what else is new?

Turn Off Ads?