Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ump ejects player (from a game that's already over)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Ump ejects player (from a game that's already over)

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I'm all for a replay system and computer-assisted pitch calling to augment the current umpiring crew. Managers get two-three challenges each game and if they're wrong, they lose a remaining challenge or forfeit an out/base if they don't have a remaining challenge.

I could care less if it "slows down" the game but I'd have to try to care less which would actually be caring more...PARADOX.
    I've heard this suggested before and I like it. I"m not sure about the forfeiting a base or out...does there have to be some sort of penalty besides losing the additional challenge(s)?
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

For the record, if we had robots calling the strike zone, fans would still complain. Can you imagine the outrage if they started calling those pitches at the upper edge of the strike zone a strike? I haven't seen one of those called in ages.
    As long as its consistent the entire game it would great. Umpires are human and they are going to fluctuate. That's what gets people mad the most. Hopefully with a comterized system there would be no fluctuations. I would really like to see MLB experiment with this during some spring training games. I would like to see how it would work. It may be that it wouldn't work at all. You never know until you try.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I've heard this suggested before and I like it. I"m not sure about the forfeiting a base or out...does there have to be some sort of penalty besides losing the additional challenge(s)?
    I have no problem with one challenge a game with one person in a booth to make the call. Only on plays on the field and not balls and strikes. Also there needs to be a very short time limit so it doesnt drag the game on.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I have no problem with one challenge a game with one person in a booth to make the call. Only on plays on the field and not balls and strikes. Also there needs to be a very short time limit so it doesnt drag the game on.
    How would you feel about the HP ump wearing an earpiece that gives him a beep when the computer says it's in (or out) of the zone? This still allows an ump to make the call, to determine himself what he thinks it is, AND gives him something to lean on if it's a borderline call or he get's blocked out. It could also be used to maybe judge an umps performance because the ump would have the same info the computers have. It's a fairly radical change...I'm just curious if it could even work, I'm wondering if it would impede the pitch calling process.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    As long as its consistent the entire game it would great. Umpires are human and they are going to fluctuate. That's what gets people mad the most. Hopefully with a comterized system there would be no fluctuations. I would really like to see MLB experiment with this during some spring training games. I would like to see how it would work. It may be that it wouldn't work at all. You never know until you try.
    So just to clarify- if you were named all-powerful leader of MLB tomorrow with absolute authority, what would you change about the game? No umpires on the field, but there are robots and cameras at each base making all calls about catches, fair/foul, home runs, balks, balls/strikes, and safe/out? Or just a new model for calling balls and strikes at home plate?

The judgement calls extent a lot further than just balls and strikes, and I don't know if I am clear if you just want balls and strikes to be addressed or if you want to go all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

If I'm the one who gets to decide on the rules (which would be great, BTW!) then, yes.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

8. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-05-2013)

[QUOTE=Red Buckeye;2872820]
    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    would you rather see robots out there making calls and getting everything 100% correct?

Absolutely I would! If you can get the call right every time, which robots have been proven to get balls and strikes right every single time, then you have to do it.

How can people object to making the game as fair as possible?
    This is false. Computers do not get it right 100% of the time. Actually when compared to MLB umpires they were only right 2-3% more than the MLB umpires. No system is without its flaws.

Bum

10. Likes:

George Anderson (06-05-2013)

How would you feel about the HP ump wearing an earpiece that gives him a beep when the computer says it's in (or out) of the zone? This still allows an ump to make the call, to determine himself what he thinks it is, AND gives him something to lean on if it's a borderline call or he get's blocked out. It could also be used to maybe judge an umps performance because the ump would have the same info the computers have. It's a fairly radical change...I'm just curious if it could even work, I'm wondering if it would impede the pitch calling process.
    No way this would work. In the matter if seconds you need to make a call and having a beeping in your ear or waiting for a beeping will just distract.

I just think to many fans make mountains out of mole hills and focus on the very few bad calls that are made and dont appreciate the fact that MLB umpiring as a whole is pretty darn good.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

12. Likes:

Bumstead (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    So just to clarify- if you were named all-powerful leader of MLB tomorrow with absolute authority, what would you change about the game? No umpires on the field, but there are robots and cameras at each base making all calls about catches, fair/foul, home runs, balks, balls/strikes, and safe/out? Or just a new model for calling balls and strikes at home plate?

The judgement calls extent a lot further than just balls and strikes, and I don't know if I am clear if you just want balls and strikes to be addressed or if you want to go all the way.
    I thought it was obvious that you would have to have human umpires for the judgement calls. So you can't eliminate the human element totally. That should keep everyone happy. In theory you can have a compterized system for balls and strikes, tennis has something for line calls now. I would imagine something could be adopted for baseball. Probably could be a system fro safe out calls on most base calls too. All of this theory though. I would like to see something experimented with in the spring to see if would be feasible at all. It very well be that is it not and we just have to live with bad calls like we have for over a hundred years. Baseball has survived so far and probably still would survive for hundreds of more years.
    Hopefully I will be appointed czar of baseball. I could use the raise in salary.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

No way this would work. In the matter if seconds you need to make a call and having a beeping in your ear or waiting for a beeping will just distract.

I just think to many fans make mountains out of mole hills and focus on the very few bad calls that are made and dont appreciate the fact that MLB umpiring as a whole is pretty darn good.
    If people aren't complaining these days people aren't happy.

Almost ejected a coach after the game this weekend. It's always a good thing to remember that the umpires can still toss you for saying stupid stuff until they leave the field/area. Yeah, don't follow me to my car either...

15. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (06-05-2013)

This is kind of what I'd be leery of. Unless they take away the actual decision from the umpire it'd be nothing more than a distraction. If they did go to automated pitch calling...I think they'd have to come up with something besides an ear piece and having the ump signal strike/ball. I'm not in favor of automating the ball/strike calls...but if they DID go that route, it gets me curious of how it could be implemented.

As for replay...I'd be behind expanding it more...but limit it in some way (Nate's way seems like the most plausible) so it's not a drag on the game (as it IS now).

And yes, we agree about the quality of umpiring in today's game. Light years better than even the 70's (and obviously before then).
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

With technology today, the beep would occur before the ump even processes what he sees himself. We are at the nano-second level in terms of speed of a computer processing info and transmitting it. Think of how fast Google can guess what you're trying to type, as you type it.

I do agree that umpiring overall is excellent. But that doesn't mean it can't, or shouldn't be improved.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Yeah, don't follow me to my car either...
    Unless you're smoking hot and the color blue makes you horny. *grin*
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

19. Likes:

Bumstead (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    With technology today, the beep would occur before the ump even processes what he sees himself. We are at the nano-second level in terms of speed of a computer processing info and transmitting it. Think of how fast Google can guess what you're trying to type, as you type it.

I do agree that umpiring overall is excellent. But that doesn't mean it can't, or shouldn't be improved.
    I think the challenge system would provide heightened drama, accuracy and ego checks to players, managers and umpires.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I thought it was obvious that you would have to have human umpires for the judgement calls. So you can't eliminate the human element totally. That should keep everyone happy. In theory you can have a compterized system for balls and strikes, tennis has something for line calls now. I would imagine something could be adopted for baseball. Probably could be a system fro safe out calls on most base calls too. All of this theory though. I would like to see something experimented with in the spring to see if would be feasible at all. It very well be that is it not and we just have to live with bad calls like we have for over a hundred years. Baseball has survived so far and probably still would survive for hundreds of more years.
    Hopefully I will be appointed czar of baseball. I could use the raise in salary.
    Thanks for the clarification- obviously, I made your stance dramatic, but I see what you mean now.

I still think that the first step should be increasing umpire accountability by having real consequences for poor calls and having a review board. Using technology like replay and digital in/out information like in tennis would be a good tool hand-in-hand with this.

Some great suggestions in this thread- maybe Bud will read it!
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

22. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?