Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did Cingrani start Sunday?

Re: Why did Cingrani start Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Cueto pitched May 31. Cingrani pitched June 2. The Reds knew Cueto felt pain on May 31. I'm just surprised they didn't make more effort to cover their bases. Approaching the middle of the season in a tight pennant race and they put themselves in a spot where they have to go with their 2nd or 3rd guy in the rotation at AAA.

"He felt it a little bit after he pitched in Pittsburgh [Friday]," Baker said. "He told us after the game he felt it again. But like I said, it's not nearly as bad as last time, so we just think being cautious is the way to go with this thing."
    So every time a pitcher says he's sore you act reactive and thus move all your pitchers in the next level around?

Fantasy

2. Likes:

jimbo (06-06-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

With the injury to Cueto being something the Reds have known about since his start in Pittsburgh, I'm just wondering why they didn't have Tony Cingrani skip his scheduled start for Louisville last Sunday as a "just in case".
    Don't ask questions above your pay grade

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    So every time a pitcher says he's sore you act reactive and thus move all your pitchers in the next level around?

Fantasy
    when its a pitcher who has had the same nagging injury before then yes you do what you have to do to make your MLB club be in good position to win ball games....you dont care what it does to your AAA club.....what is skipping Cingrani going to do to hurt his devolopment? nothing......pitchers skip starts all the time late in the season to rest or heal up an injury.....

you kind of have to look at it as the boy who cried wolf....if Cueto is calling injury problems after every start then no you dont skip AAA pitchers each and every time JC cries injury, but if its not a normal thing for him to do then by all means you make a scenario for JC's spot in the rotation to work out if he cant make it.

I have said it thousands of times before.....to many managers and way to many fans act like 1 or 2 games here and there is not a big deal....I was always taught from watching the BRM that each and every game before the all star break is just as important as each and every game after the ASB.....at the end of the season you dont get less points for winning or losing a game in April, they all count the same. It truly hurts when you miss the Central or the wild card by 1-3 games......you can always look back to games like this and wonder what would have happened had we just taken a more "pro-active" approach.......Not using Chapman for a 4-5 out save might have cost us a few wins this year, its no big deal right now because we all think there is ample time to make it up but talk to me when we are sitting at home in the fall because we were 2 games from the wild card. The exact same deal applies in this case.......you do anything and everything you have to do to assure that your best option is pitching in yesterdays game...bottom line. we did not do that.

Lingering would not be a sore shoulder

That's a new injury correct?

BTW you learned from the BRM eh?

The same team that started their best eight players together around 80 times in two seasons?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Lingering would not be a sore shoulder

That's a new injury correct?
    I think there's some confusion on the injury because they posted it as a shoulder...but from what I've heard and read, it's the same back muscle as before. Regardless, your point remains. They didn't know for sure until late...you don't juggle guys on a "what if".
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Tony LaRussa juggled his pitching staff every chance he got in order to make sure the Reds were facing his best pitchers. And some of you guys act like you don't want to skip Cingrani a start in Triple A in order to benefit the big league club, if need be? In the words of John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious!"
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

In the words of John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious!"
    You are correct. I am Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    In a pennant race where it is going to come down to a 2-3 game race...it matters when you punt a game, which Reds did last night. Stuff like this, insisting on Broxton in the 8th with his current performance, etc.. is costing possible wins for the team.
    They didn't punt a game. They pitched someone in an emergency situation. It's not like they said "gee, let's do whatever we can to lose this game."
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    They didn't punt a game. They pitched someone in an emergency situation. It's not like they said "gee, let's do whatever we can to lose this game."
    Agreed, youre quote perfectly explains the situation. Last night was one othe 1/3 you're gonna lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I don't think they punted the game either. I am surprised that they didn't do a better job of covering themselves in this situation. Had the Cueto injury came out of leftfield, then you're stuck. Just felt like they could have set themselves up better. Best case scenario would have Cingrani missing one start in the minors; Big deal.

It's all water under the bridge at this point. Just a curious move.

Evidently, they did not know that Cueto was a scratch until Tuesday night. Dusty was not available until about an hour after the game because he was meeting with front office people. Assume it was a little like Strausburg. They had hoped the muscle strain would clear up after a couple days or got a bad MRI report.

On one hand, they had the day off today. So bringing some better pitchers in after Pedro got shellacked wasn't a total move of idiocy. The pen would have gotten a days rest.

On the other hand, Simon and Parra are being paid to pitch. Being down 6-4 early is a good time to put them in and say "give us 1-2 quality innings".

With Cingrani pitching on Sunday, the only thing I can figure is they must have still thought Cueto could have taken his turn. If not, yeah, jigger the Bats' rotation and have Cingrani in your hip pocket. I really couldn't give a flying fig about Louisville's W-L record.

But if they knew Sunday Cueto wasn't going to go, then it was a bad move.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    On one hand, they had the day off today. So bringing some better pitchers in after Pedro got shellacked wasn't a total move of idiocy. The pen would have gotten a days rest.

On the other hand, Simon and Parra are being paid to pitch. Being down 6-4 early is a good time to put them in and say "give us 1-2 quality innings".

With Cingrani pitching on Sunday, the only thing I can figure is they must have still thought Cueto could have taken his turn. If not, yeah, jigger the Bats' rotation and have Cingrani in your hip pocket. I really couldn't give a flying fig about Louisville's W-L record.

But if they knew Sunday Cueto wasn't going to go, then it was a bad move.
    Lord knows I could care less what the Bats record is, I don't think you should make a move until you're sure and it sounds like the Reds knew little, but even if Cueto was sore I'd have a hard time seeing the team tell someone to "wait" skip a start and sit on his hands for 60 hours on the 1st of June

But that's me

16. Likes:

Brutus (06-07-2013)

Lord knows I could care less what the Bats record is, I don't think you should make a move until you're sure and it sounds like the Reds knew little, but even if Cueto was sore I'd have a hard time seeing the team tell someone to "wait" skip a start and sit on his hands for 60 hours on the 1st of June

But that's me
    I think if they'd gone to Cingrani and told him they were holding him out in case they needed him to start for Cueto, he'd have had no problem with it at all. Don't understand why having a guy skip 1 start in the minors is such a big deal.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I think if they'd gone to Cingrani and told him they were holding him out in case they needed him to start for Cueto, he'd have had no problem with it at all. Don't understand why having a guy skip 1 start in the minors is such a big deal.
    But would Cingrani have a problem with being "off-schedule"? Perhaps this causes him to give up 7 runs in the 1st inning against a good offensive team. Then we have a thread questioning the FO's decision to have Cingrani start.

It just isn't that simple. Sure it might work. Hindsight is always 20/20, but the formula to call up a starter on short notice (key, since no one knows the real facts) is not so simple.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?