Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Mount Rushmore

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Reds Mount Rushmore

With the off day, recent losing, and impending Cardinals series I ask you the ORG who would be on your Reds Mt. Rushmore? It's a lot more difficult than I had originally thought, below is mine. Feel free to disagree.

Johnny Bench: Career Red, Hall of Famer, multiple MVP Awards and multiple rings. Throw in the World Series MVP and the fact he's the best catcher ever, make him a no-brainier to me. Bench is also the franchise leader in home runs with 389 and RBIs with 1,376.

Pete Rose: A native son who is the all-time hits leader. Not to mention an MVP, two rings, and a World Series MVP. Rose is the club's all-time leader in hits, doubles, total bases, and runs scored. As a Red, he led the league in hits six times, doubles four times, runs scored four times, and batting average three times.

Bucky Walters: Some may argue but, here is my case. The MVP in '39 and led the Reds to the World Series in '40. Walters hurled two complete games in the series, both wins, including a complete game five hit shutout in game six. Walters ranks fourth in Reds history with 160 wins and third in WAR among pitchers at 37.7. In '39 and '40, he led the league in wins, era, innings pitched, era+, and whip.

Barry Larkin: A Hall of Famer, career Red, World Series champion, MVP, and three gold gloves. Also a native son, Larkin is widely recognized as the best shortstop in Reds history (sorry Davey). Larkin is second in team history in hits and runs scored. For his career, he lined 441 doubles, 198 homers, and knocked in 960 runs.

Best of the rest: Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Bid McPhee, Ernie Lombardi, Joey Votto, Sparky Anderson, Frank Robinson, and Joe Nuxhall (his overall impact not just his on field attributes).
    Last edited by redsfaninbsg; 06-06-2013 at 01:14 AM.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Re: Reds Mount Rushmore

I think Bench, Rose, and Larkin are probably no-brainers. Before opening the thread I thought of those four and Robinson, although so much of his greatness came with the Orioles. It's hard to leave Morgan off but it's also hard to include three from the BRM. Walters is a good interesting choice, but I'm not sure many casual Reds fans know anything about him. So I'm going with my gut reaction and saying Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    I think Bench, Rose, and Larkin are probably no-brainers. Before opening the thread I thought of those four and Robinson, although so much of his greatness came with the Orioles. It's hard to leave Morgan off but it's also hard to include three from the BRM. Walters is a good interesting choice, but I'm not sure many casual Reds fans know anything about him. So I'm going with my gut reaction and saying Robinson.
    Over half of Robinson's hits, homers and RBI came as a Red.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Mount Rushmore is going to last forever. May as well make it something that will be accurate in 100 years.

Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Barry Larkin, Joey Votto.

Sorry to the teams prior to 1963.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Mount Rushmore is going to last forever. May as well make it something that will be accurate in 100 years.

Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Barry Larkin, Joey Votto.

Sorry to the teams prior to 1963.
    If Mount Rushmore was constructed today it probably would not have the same four Presidents. While Washington and Lincoln's rankings at the very top of the presidential heap are secure, most rankings I have seen in recent decades do not put Jefferson and especially Teddy Roosevelt in the top four. They are still highly ranked but not in the Fab Four of Presidents.
    I mention that by way of an explanation as to why I am not including Joey Votto in my Reds Mount Rushmore. I suspect he may finish his Reds career as the greatest Red ever but it is too early to pick him, in mid-career.
    It should also be noted that in professional baseball's centennial in 1969 Edd Roush was selected as the greatest Red of all time--but I am not taking him either.
    My Reds Mount Rushmore is Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Frank Robinson and Barry Larkin. Rose and Bench are unquestionable picks. But for Bill DeWitt 's trade, Robinson would also be an unquestionable pick, and Larkin rounds out the group. If Joe Morgan had played his entire career as a Red, then he might join the group.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    If Mount Rushmore was constructed today it probably would not have the same four Presidents. While Washington and Lincoln's rankings at the very top of the presidential heap are secure, most rankings I have seen in recent decades do not put Jefferson and especially Teddy Roosevelt in the top four. They are still highly ranked but not in the Fab Four of Presidents.
    I mention that by way of an explanation as to why I am not including Joey Votto in my Reds Mount Rushmore. I suspect he may finish his Reds career as the greatest Red ever but it is too early to pick him, in mid-career.
    It should also be noted that in professional baseball's centennial in 1969 Edd Roush was selected as the greatest Red of all time--but I am not taking him either.
    My Reds Mount Rushmore is Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Frank Robinson and Barry Larkin. Rose and Bench are unquestionable picks. But for Bill DeWitt 's trade, Robinson would also be an unquestionable pick, and Larkin rounds out the group. If Joe Morgan had played his entire career as a Red, then he might join the group.
    Actually, if you take an aggregate ratings of presidents like they do on Wiki (16 different rankings), the top 5 are...

1) Lincoln
    2) FDR
    3) Washington
    4) Jefferson
    5) Teddy Roosevelt

At the time it was being made, FDR was either not president yet or still in the middle of his presidency. Other presidents near them in rank are Woodrow Wilson (had not been out of office long when the project started), Truman (not president yet), Eisenhower (again, not in office yet), and Andrew Jackson (a very controversial president).

So, even if it was done today, only FDR was be used instead of Teddy, and it's actually pretty relevant to your Votto inclusion. FDR was president for most of Mt Rushmore's construction.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Pete Rose doesn't belong. He is a black mark on the franchise.

Johnny Bench and Barry Larkin are easy ones. After that, it gets tougher with a whole slew of guys who had 10 or so year stretches with the Reds that were outstanding.

8. Likes:

New York Red (06-06-2013),reds44 (06-06-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    lol.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Johnny Bench and Barry Larkin are easy ones. After that, it gets tougher with a whole slew of guys who had 10 or so year stretches with the Reds that were outstanding.
    IMO, if there's no Rose, then don't bother having a Reds Mount Rushmore.

History will ultimately judge Rose (the player) kinder than many here on RZ do.

What he did on the field of play, and the numbers he put up, were 2nd to none in Reds history.

For some of younger folks, go back and take a look at his 1968 and '69 seasons, and remember those were accomplished during a strong pitching plus era.

11. Likes:

Bumstead (06-07-2013),Number_Fourteen (06-06-2013),Old school 1983 (06-06-2013),OnBaseMachine (06-06-2013),Red in Chicago (06-06-2013),redsfandan (06-07-2013),remdog (06-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    IMO, if there's no Rose, then don't bother having a Reds Mount Rushmore.

History will ultimately judge Rose (the player) kinder than many here on RZ do.

What he did on the field of play, and the numbers he put up, were 2nd to none in Reds history.

For some of younger folks, go back and take a look at his 1968 and '69 seasons, and remember those were accomplished during a strong pitching plus era.
    In my opinion, if you put Rose up there you might as well not do it. How many players are on the permanently ineligible list? Pete is one of a very few. He cheated this city, this team and all of baseball out of a whole lot of things because he was too darn selfish and thought he was bigger than the rules of the game.

In my opinion, if you put Rose up there you might as well not do it. How many players are on the permanently ineligible list? Pete is one of a very few. He cheated this city, this team and all of baseball out of a whole lot of things because he was too darn selfish and thought he was bigger than the rules of the game.
    It is my opinion that during his career as a Red, he gave the city of Cincinnati much more than he ever cheated it.

14. Likes:

Always Red (06-06-2013),moewan (06-07-2013),Number_Fourteen (06-06-2013),OnBaseMachine (06-06-2013),Red in Chicago (06-06-2013),RedEye (06-06-2013),redsfandan (06-07-2013),RedsLvr (06-06-2013),remdog (06-06-2013),texasdave (06-06-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (06-06-2013)

I got my money's worth every single time I paid to see Pete Rose play.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

16. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I got my money's worth every single time I paid to see Pete Rose play.
    Did you every time you paid to see a team he managed though? Maybe that comeback fell just short in the 9th because in the 7th when they were down 3 runs he didn't use someone he would have otherwise if he didn't have some money on the game tomorrow when he thought he might need to use that reliever.

\.
    Pete would buy a truck load of gravel and put it in Ziploc baggies, claim it was the shavings from the artist when he made the statue and charge $10 a bag.

I'm not kidding either.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-06-2013),Captain13 (06-06-2013),Old school 1983 (06-06-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Pete would buy a truck load of gravel and put it in Ziploc baggies, claim it was the shavings from the artist when he made the statue and charge $10 a bag.

I'm not kidding either.
    Sounds about right. Pete would do anything for a dollar!

Turn Off Ads?