Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Mount Rushmore

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    RedsZone Mt. Trashmore:

Dunn, Graves, Milton & Taveras
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Reds Mount Rushmore

If "best ever at his position" counts then you must have both Morgan (back-to-back MVPs as a 2B) and Bench. Harry Wright is the George Washington of Cincinnati baseball (Bid McPhee would fit in this spot as well, being the first HOFer to spend his entire career in Cincy). As for the fourth, it is a toss-up between Frank, Ernie Lomardi and Larkin. Frank was the best ballplayer of the three, but Ernie would represent an earlier period (and a WS) and Barry spent his entire career in Cincy, and won a WS here.

So to recap:

Morgan
    Bench
    Wright or McPhee
    Lombardi, Robinson or Larkin.

If I was forced to make the decision right now it would be Morgan, Bench, Wright and Lombardi.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

4. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (06-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Pete Rose doesn't belong. He is a black mark on the franchise.

\.
    Pete would buy a truck load of gravel and put it in Ziploc baggies, claim it was the shavings from the artist when he made the statue and charge $10 a bag.

I'm not kidding either.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-06-2013), Captain13 (06-06-2013), Old school 1983 (06-06-2013)

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Pete would buy a truck load of gravel and put it in Ziploc baggies, claim it was the shavings from the artist when he made the statue and charge $10 a bag.

I'm not kidding either.
    Sounds about right. Pete would do anything for a dollar!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    RedsZone Mt. Trashmore:

Dunn, Graves, Milton & Taveras
    I understand you're being humorous, but both Dunn and Graves, while having their flaws, were good players for a good bit of time with the Reds. Obviously Milton & Taveras never were.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    If "best ever at his position" counts then you must have both Morgan (back-to-back MVPs as a 2B) and Bench. Harry Wright is the George Washington of Cincinnati baseball (Bid McPhee would fit in this spot as well, being the first HOFer to spend his entire career in Cincy). As for the fourth, it is a toss-up between Frank, Ernie Lomardi and Larkin. Frank was the best ballplayer of the three, but Ernie would represent an earlier period (and a WS) and Barry spent his entire career in Cincy, and won a WS here.

So to recap:

Morgan
    Bench
    Wright or McPhee
    Lombardi, Robinson or Larkin.

If I was forced to make the decision right now it would be Morgan, Bench, Wright and Lombardi.
    I was thinking that one of the Wrights should be on it, as you noted for being the founders. Clearly Harry organized the club, but George was the premier player at its onset. I hadn't even thought of McPhee.

This is a very tough exercise - I agree someone from the 1939-1940 teams ought to be there and Lombardi, Walters and McCormick would be fitting. Someone already noted too that Edd Roush was voted greatest Red at the clubs centennial celebration.

Seriously, there are no easy answers here.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

10. Likes:

Chip R (06-06-2013)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Johnny Vander Meer > Joe Nuxhall

I go with Mr. Double No-Hit.

Bench, Rose and Morgan round out mine.

Immortalize the BRM and the pitcher from the '40 WS team with the 12-year Reds career and unique accomplishment.
    /r/reds

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I understand you're being humorous, but both Dunn and Graves, while having their flaws, were good players for a good bit of time with the Reds. Obviously Milton & Taveras never were.
    Hehe. I meant these are the champs of being trashed on RZ, not that they were all players of inferior quality.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Amazing player. I would tend to think that the Reds have enough great players to pass up someone that would already be on another teams list like this.
    I'll always consider Robinson a Red. I still expect to find, maybe someday in the other world, that his years with that other team were some kind of strange cosmic mistake or joke.

Danny Graves, Pokey Reese, Kelly Stinnett, Brandon Claussen

Good topic.

Bench, Larkin, Robinson, Morgan.

I might let Pete run his own tourist trap with the largest rubber band ball just outside the monument.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Hehe. I meant these are the champs of being trashed on RZ, not that they were all players of inferior quality.
    Ah, oops!

The Baseball Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

I'm not kidding either.
    How else are he and Kiana going to afford all of those bedroom sets?

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Amazing player. I would tend to think that the Reds have enough great players to pass up someone that would already be on another teams list like this.
    Yep

Robbie was a truly awesome player, but for my personal Reds Mount Rushmore, it is a prerequisite that the player spends most of his career in Cincinnati. If that disqualifies amazing players like Robinson, Morgan and Crawford, so be it.

Would Bob Howsam, architect of the Big Red Machine, be eligible? If so....

Rose
    Larkin
    Bench
    Howsam
    Last edited by texasdave; 06-06-2013 at 09:57 AM.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Turn Off Ads?