Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Mount Rushmore

Re: Reds Mount Rushmore

All of Morgan's great years came as a Red. And he was great for all but the last 2 as a Red.
    8 years. 8 All-Star games. 5 Gold Gloves. Led league in OPS four times. 2 MVPs. 2 WS titles. Led league in OPS twice. All kinds of stolen bases. If Joe Morgan isn't on the Reds' Mount Rushmore, there shouldn't be one.

2. Likes:

New York Red (06-06-2013), remdog (06-06-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Washington
    Jefferson
    Lincoln
    T. Roosevelt.

Just like everybody else's Mount Rushmore.

One thing you gotta remember is you're trying to do a "Reds Mt Rushmore," not just a "BRM Mt Rushmore"...you really gotta honor all eras. Note that's why TR made it onto Mt Rushmore---he was the modern guy. So I dont think you can have Bench, Rose, Morgan and Sparky...great minds can differ as to who comes off, and I think you can have 2 of em because that was the biggest era (just like we have 2 founding fathers on Mt rushmore)...

6. Likes:

redsfandan (06-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In my opinion, if you put Rose up there you might as well not do it. How many players are on the permanently ineligible list? Pete is one of a very few. He cheated this city, this team and all of baseball out of a whole lot of things because he was too darn selfish and thought he was bigger than the rules of the game.
    It is my opinion that during his career as a Red, he gave the city of Cincinnati much more than he ever cheated it.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

8. Likes:

Always Red (06-06-2013), moewan (06-07-2013), Number_Fourteen (06-06-2013), OnBaseMachine (06-06-2013), Red in Chicago (06-06-2013), RedEye (06-06-2013), redsfandan (06-07-2013), RedsLvr (06-06-2013), remdog (06-06-2013), texasdave (06-06-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (06-06-2013)

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Kinda crazy to not put Roush on it, isn't it?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Is Ty Cobb on the ineligible list for baseball? Pete is. And yes, when you build a monument, being an awful person certainly should bear a lot of weight.
    Like Westofyou points out, Rose would be there based on a player but not as a manager. It's two different careers, imo. Pete Rose the player was one of the best in the history of the game. Pete Rose the manager was a disaster.

Isn't Pete Rose in the Red's Hall of Fame? You must have some deep beef against Rose, doug.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Isn't Pete Rose in the Red's Hall of Fame? You must have some deep beef against Rose, doug.
    no he is not
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Like Westofyou points out, Rose would be there based on a player but not as a manager. It's two different careers, imo. Pete Rose the player was one of the best in the history of the game. Pete Rose the manager was a disaster.

Pete bet on the game while he was a player. Read his book, it is in there.

But yeah, I do have a deep beef with Rose. I love this city. Lived here my entire life. I love the Reds. I love baseball. Pete took away something great from every last one of those things because of his own selfishness. They all could have celebrated something great. Instead, they can't do that. All because of Pete thinking he was too big for the games rules.

So yeah, huge, huge beef with that guy.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Some folks take Rose's transgressions personally.

I do not, even though I idolized Rose as a kid, when he lived in the next neighborhood over.

He did nothing to me personally, and I've never been mad at Rose for a single minute. His transgressions were not a black mark on the city, the Reds, MLB, my neighborhood or my soul at all. They are Pete's black marks and Pete's alone. When I do think of Rose and what he once was to this city, I feel sad, not angry.

Rose was actually a decent manager, IMO, but of course his personal life was a disaster. And he bet on baseball, probably had been for years before he was caught. I'm sure he's betting still. I have no problem with his punishment by MLB.

I'm not a Pete Rose apologist.

A mythical Reds Mount Rushmore is outside the jurisdiction of MLB (hey- it's mythical right?), which is why I think you'd have to include Rose. Though Robby, Bench, Larkin, Morgan, Roush, Lombardi and Crosley would all be excellent choices as well.

14. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (06-06-2013), Red in Chicago (06-06-2013), redsfandan (06-07-2013), Trajinous (06-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    All of Morgan's great years came as a Red. And he was great for all but the last 2 as a Red.
    8 years. 8 All-Star games. 5 Gold Gloves. Led league in OPS four times. 2 MVPs. 2 WS titles. Led league in OPS twice. All kinds of stolen bases. If Joe Morgan isn't on the Reds' Mount Rushmore, there shouldn't be one.
    Certainly Morgan was at his best as a Red. But do his 6 great years and two solid years overshadow a few guys who had longer runs as Reds and were either as good (Frank Robinson) or still very, very good as a Red for longer periods of time (Lombardi, Rixey, Roush, Walters and a few others)?

I'd probably choose Roush, Rose, Bench, and Larkin, though I'm not sure it would have to be limited to four guys.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

But yeah, I do have a deep beef with Rose. I love this city. Lived here my entire life. I love the Reds. I love baseball. Pete took away something great from every last one of those things because of his own selfishness. They all could have celebrated something great. Instead, they can't do that. All because of Pete thinking he was too big for the games rules.

You feel a certain way doug, and that's fine, I understand. I think a lot of folks feel that way. It's not right or wrong, it's just how it is. You may not be able to understand how I feel about it.

I recall Rose being banished near the end of the 1989 season, and the Reds winning the World Championship in 1990. That pretty much blew away the Rose stink for me.

+1, What Doug said, plus the cult of Pete Rose drives me nuts. Older people typically 45+ who insist that Pete walked on water, that his opinion matters above all others, want to hear him on radio, to manage the Reds, to be a "ambassador of baseball", etc etc.

Pete Rose is about Pete Rose. Always has been, always will be. People that unabashedly support Pete, are the baseball equivalence of moon landing conspiracy guys. Pete Rose even wrote a book saying he was a liar, (for oodles of money) and they still choose to blindly follow.

My Mt Rushmore
    Lombardi
    Nuxhall
    Bench
    Larkin

Careers spanning 80+ years of Reds Baseball.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Certainly Morgan was at his best as a Red. But do his 6 great years and two solid years overshadow a few guys who had longer runs as Reds and were either as good (Frank Robinson) or still very, very good as a Red for longer periods of time (Lombardi, Rixey, Roush, Walters and a few others)?
    I think so. I don't even think surviving family members of the players you mention would consider them the best players at their positions. Many, myself included, think Morgan is.

So, GOAT at his position has all of his best years in a Reds uniform. If you ask people to imagine what Morgan looked like in his playing days, I doubt very many see him in an Astros, Giants, Phillies or A's uni.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Kinda crazy to not put Roush on it, isn't it?
    It could be called Mt. Roushmore!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

21. Likes:

Chip R (06-06-2013), RedEye (06-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?