Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: Official 2013 Day 1 Draft Thread

Re: Official 2013 Day 1 Draft Thread

Ervin - Dayton (too good of an opportunity to pass up an OF of Winker
    Are the Reds really going to leave Winker in Dayton all season?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Ervin was a solid pickup, Lorenzen and Franklin are pure wildcards, but not really great value- it seems as though both of them could've been taken at least a round later than where they went, given their question marks.
    I saw one of the cubs writers say that the reds taking lorenzen was a blow to the cubs, who had the 41st pick. Some writers seemed to like him a lot too, so I don't think he was really a reach. He would have been gone. At 67 for sure

Predictions on where they start?

Ervin - Dayton (too good of an opportunity to pass up an OF of Winker - Ervin - Gelalich)
    They'll surely do what seems best for Ervin, as a first-rounder, but Junior Arias is just getting his feet wet as Dayton's center fielder--having been moved there from third base--and having a fine season. I have no idea what his defense looks like, but it stands to reason that they'd be reluctant to mess with him at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    They'll surely do what seems best for Ervin, as a first-rounder, but Junior Arias is just getting his feet wet as Dayton's center fielder--having been moved there from third base--and having a fine season. I have no idea what his defense looks like, but it stands to reason that they'd be reluctant to mess with him at this point.
    Agreed.

I don't think there is anything wrong with letting Ervin get his feet wet and build confidence in the outstanding hitting environment of the Pioneer league. Let him rake at Billings this year and then consider skipping him over Dayton in 2014 depending on how he performs. Or start him at Dayton in 2014 and consider skipping him over Bakersfield if/when he earns a promotion and send him straight to AA.

While it's always a very silly exercise to grade drafts, especially a baseball draft, right after they occur, I give the Reds a C+ for today's effort.
    I tend to agree. The Reds didn't pick anyone I would have preferred they avoid, but they didn't draft anyone who got me tremendously excited.

I'd classify it as a wait-and-see group. Maybe they tapped some players with serious upside, but we're not going to know that for a little while (possibly another year or more).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Anyone else think the Pirates will regret for years not giving Appel what he wanted last year. Say what you want about money given to draft picks; it's nothing compared to what MLB free agents get. You draft a college pitcher and he's good, you control him for several years at a relatively cheap rate.

Pirates failed on that one. I know they made a nice pick at #9 this year to "make up for" losing Appel, but I bet they will regret not giving Appel what he wanted.
    My guess is that the owners were united in making this new "slotted" system work. I doubt we see any club breaking the system and giving a #1 pick significantly over slot. They aren't going to let Boras shake this new system apart.

Someone had to be the sacrificial lamb to prove that this new system is ironclad..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Pretty sure you can't copy/paste that much content from somewhere per the site rules.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Pretty sure you can't copy/paste that much content from somewhere per the site rules.
    Thanks Doug. I have been able to copy the info into the top post of the signings thread. I put it up there temporarily to use the info to copy into the post.

Bump, quick update.

Notable out-of-the-chute performances from 1st rounders...

Strong
    Frazier, Meadows, Dozier, DJ Peterson, JP Crawford, Ervin (several others are off to good starts)

Weak
    Shipley, Wilson, Jagielo

Turn Off Ads?