Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2013 Day 1 Draft Thread

Re: Official 2013 Day 1 Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Extend it back a little further, though I'm not sure if Buckley was in the organization at this point:

2007 they got Mes, plus Frasier & Lotzkar in the sandwhich round
    2006 brought Drew Stubbs
    2005 gave them Jay Bruce
    2004 provided David Homer Bailey
    2003 flashed Ryan Wagner

That's a pretty solid track record for the top of the draft. Throw in some other low round picks like Votto and it gets even better.

Of course the 14 years prior the Reds #1 picks looked like this:

Scott Bryant, Dan Wilson, Pokey Reese, Chad Mottola, Pat Watkins, CJ Nitkowski (no pick in 95 1st round), John Oliver, Matt Mclendon, Brandon Larson, Austin Kearns, Ty Howington, David Espinosa, Dustin Mosely, the punting of Jeremy Sowers, Chris Gruler and Mark Schramek. That's a big ol' chain with only a few above average ML seasons to show for it.

When Pokey Reese (or would you argue Kearns or Dan wilson) is your most successful 1st round pick over 14 years, you're bound to struggle.
    IIRC Buckley started at the helm in 2006, which was clearly his worst draft (but still not bad considering it produced Stubbs and Heisey, as well as fringe major leaguers Turner, Valaika, and Roenicke.) 2010 may be rivaling it, as the only two looking like major leaguers at this point are Grandal and hopefully Drew Cisco.

But when praising how awesome these guys have been (and they have been awesome drafters), don't forget a few of the better picks after the first round (Cingrani, Winker, Hamilton, Stewart, etc.)
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-06-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Extend it back a little further, though I'm not sure if Buckley was in the organization at this point:

2007 they got Mes, plus Frasier & Lotzkar in the sandwhich round
    2006 brought Drew Stubbs
    2005 gave them Jay Bruce
    2004 provided David Homer Bailey
    2003 flashed Ryan Wagner

That's a pretty solid track record for the top of the draft. Throw in some other low round picks like Votto and it gets even better.

Of course the 14 years prior the Reds #1 picks looked like this:

Scott Bryant, Dan Wilson, Pokey Reese, Chad Mottola, Pat Watkins, CJ Nitkowski (no pick in 95 1st round), John Oliver, Matt Mclendon, Brandon Larson, Austin Kearns, Ty Howington, David Espinosa, Dustin Mosely, the punting of Jeremy Sowers, Chris Gruler and Mark Schramek. That's a big ol' chain with only a few above average ML seasons to show for it.

When Pokey Reese (or would you argue Kearns or Dan wilson) is your most successful 1st round pick over 14 years, you're bound to struggle.
    Buckley became the Reds Scouting Director in 06, so Stubbs and Mesoraco are his as well, though it was under the Krivsky administration.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Law's final mock has Reds taking Denney, with Wilson and T.Anderson off the board but McKinney and Clarkin still available - the latter of which falls all the way to the last pick in the 1st round.

Kaminsky, Dozier, Green and Krook also go first round in Law's Mock.

I'm starting to get some weird feeling the Reds may draft Ciuffo or Jagielo - two names I can't pronounce and don't know a ton about. They'd certainly fit into the same motif as Travieso and Mesoraco.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-06-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Manaea dropping due to injury concerns with his hip or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Manaea dropping due to injury concerns with his hip or something.
    Yep. Sounds like he's a guy that will need to re-enter the draft next year to get the money he'll want.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm really big into watching video and studying NFL Draft prospects but I have to read reports for the MLB Draft. I couldn't find anything on whether Denney will stay at catcher. Does anyone know if he can stay there? If he has to move, his appeal obviously decreases a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Boro_BG_Red View Post
    I'm really big into watching video and studying NFL Draft prospects but I have to read reports for the MLB Draft. I couldn't find anything on whether Denney will stay at catcher. Does anyone know if he can stay there? If he has to move, his appeal obviously decreases a bit.
    Denney will be moved just like Will Myers was moved to get his bat to the Majors quicker.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Final BA Mock has Reds taking Ervin.

Other names mentioned are Harvey, T.Anderson, C.Anderson, Ciuffo, Jagielo, Denney, Green, and McKinney.

Ervin is interesting because he has a lot of "all-around skills." The pessimist in me worries about Ryan LaMarre and other polished CF types without a standout skill. Another comp for him could be an OF version of Rickie Weeks (great bat speed and athleticism).
    After I read this post, I looked at some more scouting reports on Ervin and I definitely thought of LaMarre immediately. Count me in the camp that does not want Ervin especially if Jagielo, Denney, Harvey and McKinney are on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Denney will be moved just like Will Myers was moved to get his bat to the Majors quicker.
    If Denney can swing it like Myers, I really want him... at any defensive position.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Law's final mock has Reds taking Denney, with Wilson and T.Anderson off the board but McKinney and Clarkin still available - the latter of which falls all the way to the last pick in the 1st round.

Kaminsky, Dozier, Green and Krook also go first round in Law's Mock.

I'm starting to get some weird feeling the Reds may draft Ciuffo or Jagielo - two names I can't pronounce and don't know a ton about. They'd certainly fit into the same motif as Travieso and Mesoraco.
    I like the way Law's mock has it going. Can't go wrong with Denney or McKinney and to a lesser degree, Crowe.

I would not mind Ciuffo or Jagielo. Ciuffo definitely looks like he is going to stick behind the dish and could be an above-average regular.

Jagielo seems to be a pretty polished third baseman prospect. Doesn't seem like there is tons of upside with either Ciuffo or Jagielo, but both could be great picks.

I still prefer Denney or McKinney.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    If Denney can swing it like Myers, I really want him... at any defensive position.
    If he had a Myers bat, I'd imagine he would go earlier, no? Anyway, Law has had Denney to the Reds in his past three mocks, has to be something there.

I don't know much about this year's draft.

Based on my reading I hope the Reds take Marco Gonzalez or Tim Anderson. Gonzalez sounds to me like a lefty Mike Leake. He has a good pedigree. The Reds need lefty pitchers coming up. "High ceiling" is generally synonymous with velocity. This guy sounds like a pitcher more than a thrower, but that doesn't mean he can't be very good. If Anderson is available he sounds like a middle infielder or CF with a good bat and a very good athlete. Guys at those positions who hit are important.

Based on recent history, however, I'm expecting the Reds to take a projectable HS pitcher like Hunter Green, Hunter Harvey, Bickford, Clarkin, Kaminsky or Serrano.

I doubt they will go for a high school catcher. The Mesoraco experience shows how tough a grind that is. The college catcher, Ciuffo is a much better likelihood, if he is available. McKinney sounds a bit like Winker to me. I doubt they go for another corner outfielder in the first round.

So I'm hoping for Gonzalez or Anderson, but expecting a high school pitcher. College catcher Ciuffo would be someone else I can see them taking, if available.

If they don't take a HS pitcher in the first round, I'd expect it with their second pick.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-06-2013 at 01:47 PM.

My prediction (not necessarily what I want) is that the Reds will take a college player at 27.
    Go BLUE!!!

Some outstanding links to Doug's work on this year's draft prospects. They are complete with video and hard to find stats, as well as info on if they've been linked to the Reds...Doug, why didn't you refer us earlier!?!?:

Nick Ciuffo – Catcher – Lexington High School (South Carolina)
    Phillip Ervin – Outfield – Samford
    Rob Kaminsky – Left Handed Pitcher – St. Joseph High Regional High School (New Jersey)
    http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/05/...orts-part-one/

Jonathan Denney – Catcher – Yukon High School (Oklahoma)
    Hunter Harvey – Right Handed Pitcher – Bandys High Schol (North Carolina)
    Phil Bickford – Right Handed Pitcher – Oaks Christian High School (California)
    Chris Anderson – Right Handed Pitcher – Jacksonville
    Billy McKinney – Outfielder – Plano High School (Texas)
    Marco Gonzales – Left Handed Pitcher – Gonzaga
    Austin Wilson – Outfielder – Stanford
    Aaron Judge – Outfielder – Fresno State
    http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/05/...orts-part-two/

Hunter Green – Left Handed Pitcher – Warren East High School (Kentucky)
    Matt Krook – Left Handed Pitcher – St. Ignatius High School (California)
    Connor Jones – Right Handed Pitcher – Great Bridge High School (Virginia)
    http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/05/...ts-part-three/

Tim Anderson - SS – East Central Junior College
    Kyle Serrano – RHP – Farragut High School (Tennessee)
    Bobby Wahl – RHP – Mississippi
    Ryan Eades – Right Handed Pitcher – LSU
    Oscar Mercado – Shortstop – Gaither High School (Florida)
    http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/06/...rts-part-four/

Hunter Dozier – Shortstop – Stephen F. Austin State
    Cord Sandberg – Outfield – Manatee High School (Florida)
    Aaron Blair – Right Handed Pitcher – Marshall
    Alex Balog – Right Handed Pitcher – San Francisco
    Alex Gonzalez – Right Handed Pitcher – Oral Roberts
    http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/06/...rts-part-five/

Devin Williams – Right Handed Pitcher – Hazelwood High School (Missouri)
    Andrew Thurman – Right Handed Pitcher – UC Irvine
    Tom Windle – Left Handed Pitcher – Minnesota
    Corey Knebel – Right Handed Pitcher – Texas
    http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/06/...orts-part-six/

I got to say Doug, you are too modest when it comes to pushing your info out there. Thanks a ton for this stuff.

Turn Off Ads?