Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2013 Day 1 Draft Thread

Re: Official 2013 Day 1 Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Kc61, I just have a few things I would like to say in response to your post. First, Ciuffo is a high school catcher, just like McGuire and Denney. Sure, Mesoraco has taken a while to develop, but I think the Reds are pretty happy with the way that has turned out. Furthermore, Denney may not even see any time behind the dish if the Reds are as down on Denney's glove as 19braves77 is. Either way, if the Reds take either of those three, I would be happy with the Reds "delaying" their bats if they have a legitimate chance to stick behind the dish in the majors.

As for McKinney, I can't imagine the Reds doing anything but cartwheels if another Winker is on the board at #27. I like the scouting reports I have read on McKinney's bat. You can't concern yourself too much with the current make-up of the minor leagues or big league roster because prospect rankings and the big league roster itself is so fluid. Even if McKinney and Winker develop into monster bats and we still have Bruce in a corner outfield spot, I am sure we will find somewhere for all three bats to play and if we can't, it is a problem I am fine with having.

Sure, I wish McKinney played a more "premium" defensive position, but I would rather have a premium bat than a premium glove.

I have already stated my opinion of Gonzales in the other draft pick thread. I have no problem with it, but he seems to be falling out of the first round in the mocks I have seen so he could be there at #38.

I wouldn't mind a high upside high school arm, but I think I may prefer a bat. Either way, I hope the Reds go BPA unless the BPA has ridiculous bonus demands.
    Sorry about the mistake about the catcher, as I said I'm not that familiar. I recall when Mes was picked some said HS catchers are a big risk. As for McKinney, Reds might tend toward someone who plays a more premium position.

Tim Anderson and Gonzalez sound good to me, but just on paper. I've been too busy lately watching the Reds relievers give up eighth inning homers, etc.

2. Turn Off Ads?

My list

Want
    McKinney
    Denney
    Harvey
    Green

Guys I don't want at all
    Austin Wilson don't like his swing
    Aaron Judge hate his swing, given frame looks like a K machine
    Kaminsky don't like his frame
    Marco Gonzales no crafty lefties in first round
    Oscar Mercado bat made of balsa
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Some of those guys have since been linked to the Reds, but weren't at the time of writing.

As for me pushing my own stuff out there.... it is against the site rules.
    I thought it was okay if it was in an existing thread about a topic? Do I have that wrong.

I'd find it hard to believe that anyone would have a tough time with you posting about your draft work/findings in an existing draft thread. It's not like your some spammer.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Sorry about the mistake about the catcher, as I said I'm not that familiar. I recall when Mes was picked some said HS catchers are a big risk. As for McKinney, Reds might tend toward someone who plays a more premium position.

Tim Anderson and Gonzalez sound good to me, but just on paper. I've been too busy lately watching the Reds relievers give up eighth inning homers, etc.
    I can see the Reds wanting a premium position guy, but I feel like most would be a reach at #27. Tim Anderson and Phil Ervin seem to be the two that would make the most sense, but I still prefer the premium bats of McKinney or Denney over the positional value.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ral-replace-it

Excellent article about the absurdity of the draft and an alternative that may be better.

Wait, have the Reds EVER taken someone we all thought they would in the Jocketty era? I dont believe they have.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Excellent article about the absurdity of the draft and an alternative that may be better.
    Do you think any player under the free agent system would want to play for the Astros, Mariners, or Rays when they were bad ? Ask any HS kid from Alabama and his dream is to play for the Braves or Yankees. You would have teams like Seattle with a bunch of tenth round talent options while the Dodgers get all the 2nd Round talent. The kids would take a discount to play for the Yankees.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (06-10-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Wait, have the Reds EVER taken someone we all thought they would in the Jocketty era? I dont believe they have.
    Of course Jocketty doesn't really make the pick, so that doesn't matter much. The Reds have been tied pretty strongly to a few guys that they wound up taking since Buckley took over. Stubbs, Alonso, Mesoraco.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Extremely provocative article....but it makes so much sense owners will never go for it....mlb has the dumbest owners of all major sports. They can never create rules that work because they have the least cooperation between owners of all major sports. Then you layer that with the PA and any smart decisions are nearly impossible. Greed and self interest rule instead of fairness or common sense.

PG reporting Astros will decide between Moran or Stewart. Appel out of picture.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I thought Stephenson was linked heavily 2 years ago to the Reds? Maybe I have that wrong, but I thought he was the pick all along.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    PG reporting Astros will decide between Moran or Stewart. Appel out of picture.
    Aren't they getting cute, eh?

Travis Demeritte is a guy I would love to see the Reds take at 38 if he's still there.

Doug this is random but do you know anything at all about this Connor Heady kid from North Oldham HS in Kentucky? Supposedy he is supposed to go in the first few rounds.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I thought Stephenson was linked heavily 2 years ago to the Reds? Maybe I have that wrong, but I thought he was the pick all along.
    Yep, the Reds were al .over Stephenson 2 years ago.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?