Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Ervin

Phil Ervin

Here we go...

The "experts" seem to love him. Both Sickels and Callis list him as one of their favorite players. The anchor on MLB Network said he was his absolute favorite player in this draft, comparing his defense to Denard Span and his swing to Andrew McCutcheon.

He is also a great athlete with phenomenal bat speed.

That all sounds great.

What scares me is his lack of any great tool - the fact that he is a very good "all-around" player. That gives me nightmares of Ryan LaMarre. I hope they're just that - nightmares, and not reality. I've also compared him to an OF version of Rickie Weeks. Hopefully he has better success.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-06-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phil Ervin

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Here we go...

The "experts" seem to love him. Both Sickels and Callis list him as one of their favorite players. The anchor on MLB Network said he was his absolute favorite player in this draft, comparing his defense to Denard Span and his swing to Andrew McCutcheon.

That all sounds great.

What scares me is his lack of any great tool - the fact that he is a very good "all-around" player. That gives me nightmares of Ryan LaMarre. I hope they're just that - nightmares, and not reality. I've also compared him to an OF version of Rickie Weeks. Hopefully he has better success.
    He sounds like he has a much higher ceiling than Lamarre. Potential plus power which is something I was hoping we would see. Not the most glowing scouting report here, but it does seem like it acknowledges his upside:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...vin-of-samford

Here we go...

That all sounds great.

I would take an OF version of Weeks, until the past 2 years, Weeks has been a good bet when healthy to have a .350+ OBP with decent power and put up between 09 and 11 an OPS of .800+

You combine that with at least a decent defense in CF and its a very valuable player.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I'd like to see Phillip Ervin fall to us. Cape MVP, athletic college OF'er. BA has him as the 3rd best pure hitter in college.

http://samfordsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3793
    I'm happy!

one thing i've learned is to trust the reds scouting department. i have no reason to see why this pick would change that
    Just call me Legs

7. Likes:

edabbs44 (06-07-2013),icehole3 (06-08-2013)

Someone else mentioned Kirby Puckett as a comp. I think that sounds pretty good.
    Go BLUE!!!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I'm happy!
    So am I.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

I've also compared him to an OF version of Rickie Weeks.
    Weeks is a terrible defender. Ervin can play CF. Poor comp there.

His swing does compare well to Weeks' though.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Someone else mentioned Kirby Puckett as a comp. I think that sounds pretty good.
    I'll take that.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Weeks is a terrible defender. Ervin can play CF. Poor comp there.

His swing does compare well to Weeks' though.
    I was referring more to his swing/bat speed, athleticism, power/speed combo, body type, and pedigree.

It's also unclear whether or not Ervin can stay in CF. And it's possible Weeks would be at least as good as a defensive CF as Ervin, if in fact he played there.

I think "poor comp" is a little aggressive.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-06-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Will be interesting to see if Ervin starts in Billings or Dayton.

A Dayton OF of Winker - Ervin - Gelalich would be pretty fun to watch and follow.
    Go BLUE!!!

Reminds me a bit of Dave Sappelt. Both are the shorter side, but still generate pop with quick bat speed and have a solid all-around game. Ervin looks like he has a better arm and more natural power, so I'm hopeful that he turns out better.

Quote Originally Posted by Drugs Delaney View Post
    He sounds like he has a much higher ceiling than Lamarre. Potential plus power which is something I was hoping we would see. Not the most glowing scouting report here, but it does seem like it acknowledges his upside:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...vin-of-samford

That was written before this season

The guy hit 11 home runs with a wood bat in the Cape Cod league (38 games). He definitely has some power.

Turn Off Ads?