Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Ervin

Re: Phil Ervin

Sorry I missed it, but what is going on with Ervin and Winker? Both hurt? Hopefully it's nothing serious. Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Sorry I missed it, but what is going on with Ervin and Winker? Both hurt? Hopefully it's nothing serious. Thanks.

Ervin sprained his wrist a couple of weeks ago, while Winker injured/sprained his foot/ankle area making a catch at the wall. Neither has been reported as serious, and they aren't believed to require surgery. But the timing seems to indicate that the Reds will just shut them down to get healthy for fall instructions, and next spring.

Thanks for the reply.

So what would be the best guess estimate to Ervin's ETA in the big leagues?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    So what would be the best guess estimate to Ervin's ETA in the big leagues?
    2016 or 2017. Would not expect to see him in Cincy before 2016, unless Hamilton falls flat and Ervin sets the world on fire a la Bruce in 2007-2008.
    Go BLUE!!!

He is also competing against Winkler and Yorman who are both younger and more accomplished minor league players. Also Yorman may have the best tools in the minors.

As a college guy, Ervin could be as soon as next September, if he goes nuclear. Most likely June 2015.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    As a college guy, Ervin could be as soon as next September, if he goes nuclear. Most likely June 2015.
    He played a hand full of games in low A ball, best hope is he is in AA by the end of 2014. 2015 he starts in AA and is moved to AAA and finishes up 2015 with a call up. 2016 would be his year.

College bats with a knowledge of the strike zone move fast. Dont forget that this was the 2012 Cape Cod League MVP. He is a more polished prospect. I am not saying to push the kid, but it would not surprise me if he was in Cincinnati next September. Quite frankly the farm system needs someone to blossom. 2016 or 2017 would make him a massive disappointment.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

College bats with a knowledge of the strike zone move fast. Dont forget that this was the 2012 Cape Cod League MVP. He is a more polished prospect. I am not saying to push the kid, but it would not surprise me if he was in Cincinnati next September. Quite frankly the farm system needs someone to blossom. 2016 or 2017 would make him a massive disappointment.
    I think it's possible he could be up sometime in 2015 if he really blossoms, but I think it would be incorrect to label him a massive disappointment if he didn't debut until 2016 (or even 2017). Todd Frazier was a first round pick and similar college star who didn't make his debut until four years after he was drafted - the equivalent of 2017 for Ervin. Correctly, no one ever labeled Frazier as a massive disappointment.

I think expecting him to be in the big leagues at any point in 2014 is relatively unrealistic, unless he really lights the world on fire.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    He is also competing against Winkler and Yorman who are both younger and more accomplished minor league players. Also Yorman may have the best tools in the minors.
    I believe Yorman has to stick in the big leagues by 2015.

That could also delay the urgency on Ervin, especially if Hamilton can hold down CF.

I think of ETAs at this time like this (obviously subject to change based off of needs and next year's performance):

Lorenzen 2014
    Stephenson late 2014
    Y.Rodriguez 2015
    Winker 2016
    Ervin 2016
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Todd Frazier was a first round pick and similar college star who didn't make his debut until four years after he was drafted - the equivalent of 2017 for Ervin. Correctly, no one ever labeled Frazier as a massive disappointment.
    I recall a LOT of people being very disappointed in Frazier circa winter of 2010 through spring of 2012 when he was a 24-26 year old LF putting up an 800 OPS with crappy plate discipline over parts of four AAA campaigns. In 2011 pre-season rankings, Jon Sickels had him rated as a B- prospect. Kevin Goldstein dropped him down to 15th best prospect in the system (an unusually low position for a former 1st round pick). The general view was that his ceiling was a decent bench bat who could play multiple corner positions. He improved marginally in 2011, but he entered 2012 as a guy who was in his third season at AAA and already 26 years old. No one considered him a prospect at that point.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 10-03-2013 at 10:32 AM.

I believe Yorman has to stick in the big leagues by 2015.
    Let's hope so.

He HAS to be in the big leagues by 2016, so hopefully he is ready before it becomes mandatory.

I think it's possible he could be up sometime in 2015 if he really blossoms, but I think it would be incorrect to label him a massive disappointment if he didn't debut until 2016 (or even 2017). Todd Frazier was a first round pick and similar college star who didn't make his debut until four years after he was drafted - the equivalent of 2017 for Ervin. Correctly, no one ever labeled Frazier as a massive disappointment.

I think expecting him to be in the big leagues at any point in 2014 is relatively unrealistic, unless he really lights the world on fire.
    Benihana wrote on 6-7-2007
    Who's first to the majors- Drew Stubbs or Todd Fraizer?

Put the house on Frazier for me.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...er#post1377125

There was also this thread from 2011
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89027

And?
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?