Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 219

Thread: Phil Ervin

  1. #166
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,200

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Ervin is a perfect illustration of the fickleness of baseball fans.

    When he was tearing it up in 2013, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but when he stumbled out of the gate in 2014, his bandwagon emptied out in a hurry. Player development is a marathon, not a sprint. A prospect is always going to have highs and lows. Fans need to learn to temper their enthusiasm during the highs and do the same for their disappointment during the lows.
    Agree. I sometimes think it is a contest in RZ to be the first to pronounce a prospect a bust.

  2. Likes:

    corkedbat (06-14-2014), HokieRed (06-13-2014), Old school 1983 (06-13-2014), Tom Servo (06-13-2014)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #167
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,580

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Ervin is a perfect illustration of the fickleness of baseball fans.

    When he was tearing it up in 2013, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but when he stumbled out of the gate in 2014, his bandwagon emptied out in a hurry. Player development is a marathon, not a sprint. A prospect is always going to have highs and lows. Fans need to learn to temper their enthusiasm during the highs and do the same for their disappointment during the lows.
    Mind your business Steve! I want my gratification for everything RIGHT NOW.

    *never jumped off of the Ervin bandwagon*
    *some people call me crazy*

    Those things may not be related.

  5. #168
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,695

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mind your business Steve! I want my gratification for everything RIGHT NOW.

    *never jumped off of the Ervin bandwagon*
    *some people call me crazy*

    Those things may not be related.
    I was right there with you on the bandwagon. I figured the guy either had a mild injury or was working on some things in his game. Sometimes those changes to one's technique are a step back before 2-3 leaps forward can happen.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

  6. #169
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    9,560

    Re: Phil Ervin

    I'm still off the bandwagon.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  7. #170
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    6,227

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Still a fan of Ervin, I've just tempered my enthusiasm a bit. I thought he was going to be a fast mover. He's still beats the 4th OF dreck we were getting 4-5 years ago.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-13-2014 at 02:20 PM.

  8. Likes:

    RedTeamGo! (06-13-2014)

  9. #171
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,084

    Re: Phil Ervin

    If we are having a roll call, I'm onboard w/ Ervin.

  10. Likes:

    powersackers (06-13-2014), Tom Servo (06-13-2014)

  11. #172
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,572

    Re: Phil Ervin

    I jumped on the Ervin bandwagon last year very early and also on the Winker bandwagon. I've remained on both this year through the thick (Winker) and the thin (Ervin).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  12. #173
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,605

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I jumped on the Ervin bandwagon last year very early and also on the Winker bandwagon. I've remained on both this year through the thick (Winker) and the thin (Ervin).
    Get on the Seth Mejias-Brean bandwagon too Brutus before it's too late!
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  13. Likes:

    powersackers (06-13-2014)

  14. #174
    Arbiter of Good Taste OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Last year Ervin struck out 34 times but walked 25. This year he's off to a bad start hitting, but his OBP is still .063 higher. I've tempered my enthusiasm slightly as far as how fast he'll move, but I love his approach.
    In three years, I dream of a Reds team with Winker, SMB, and Ervin in the lineup all OBPing .375+
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

  15. #175
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,695

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Last year Ervin struck out 34 times but walked 25. This year he's off to a bad start hitting, but his OBP is still .063 higher. I've tempered my enthusiasm slightly as far as how fast he'll move, but I love his approach.
    In three years, I dream of a Reds team with Winker, SMB, and Ervin in the lineup all OBPing .375+
    I have high hopes for Blandino to be right there with them.

    C Mez/Tucker
    1b Votto
    2b Blandino
    SS ??? (Daal?)
    3b SMB
    LF Ervin
    CF Hamilton
    RF Winker

    *shrug* Too early to project, definitely
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

  16. #176
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,214

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I have high hopes for Blandino to be right there with them.

    C Mez/Tucker
    1b Votto
    2b Blandino
    SS ??? (Daal?)
    3b SMB
    LF Ervin
    CF Hamilton
    RF Winker

    *shrug* Too early to project, definitely
    I like your optimism, but if all of those guys become everyday players on the Reds, that would be an almost unprecedented success story for a minor league development team.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  17. Likes:

    Edd Roush (06-14-2014)

  18. #177
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,891

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I have high hopes for Blandino to be right there with them.

    C Mez/Tucker
    1b Votto
    2b Blandino
    SS ??? (Daal?)
    3b SMB
    LF Ervin
    CF Hamilton
    RF Winker

    *shrug* Too early to project, definitely
    Of course it's too early, but here is how I like to think of 2017/2018:

    CF Hamilton (or Ervin)
    1B Votto
    LF Winker
    C Mesoraco
    RF Bruce (could be Ervin or Yorman)
    3B Frazier (could be SMB, Sparks or Rahier)
    2B Blandino (or very likely someone currently outside the org)
    SS Daal (or very likely someone currently outside the org)

    SP Latos or Cueto
    SP Bailey
    SP Stephenson
    SP Lorenzen
    SP Cingrani (could be Moscot, Lively, Travieso or Howard)

    CL Chapman (could be Cingrani or Contreras)

    Question: Could SMB ever be considered for 2B or does he not have the range?
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-14-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

  19. #178
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    6,227

    Re: Phil Ervin

    If they plan on having Aroldis as part of this organization much longer, they best start working him into the rotation in the next 12 mos. because I don't want to see any $12-14M closers on this squad. No way that Chapman should still be a Red if he's still in the pen come 2017 or 18.

  20. #179
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,695

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Of course it's too early, but here is how I like to think of 2017/2018:

    CF Hamilton (or Ervin)
    1B Votto
    LF Winker
    C Mesoraco
    RF Bruce (could be Ervin or Yorman)
    3B Frazier (could be SMB, Sparks or Rahier)
    2B Blandino (or very likely someone currently outside the org)
    SS Daal (or very likely someone currently outside the org)

    SP Latos or Cueto
    SP Bailey
    SP Stephenson
    SP Lorenzen
    SP Cingrani (could be Moscot, Lively, Travieso or Howard)

    CL Chapman (could be Cingrani or Contreras)

    Question: Could SMB ever be considered for 2B or does he not have the range?
    Doug said that SMB doesn't have the range for it.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

  21. #180
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,695

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I like your optimism, but if all of those guys become everyday players on the Reds, that would be an almost unprecedented success story for a minor league development team.
    I don't disagree. I think Winker is the only absolute Sure Thing, and we all know every Sure Thing ever in the history of baseball has gone on to incredible major league success.

    But I do think this system is as stocked or more than the early-mid 80s when Davis, Larkin, etc were coming through. Look at the talent that graduated to the major leagues during that time. Just thinking back, it's incredible. (And there were STILL a lot of flame-outs like Wade Rowdon, Scott Scudder, etc)
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25