Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Ervin

Re: Phil Ervin

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If Ervin goes b-a-n-a-n-a-s bananas this season it would improve the Reds future quite a bit. He can play any outfield position and seems like a perfect 2 hole hitter. Also, and I know people don't like this thought - but, if Billy can't get on base, Ervin could step in and take over CF maybe as soon as next year (Prob 2017 though).

With that said, if Billy figures out how to get on base at a consistent rate, a 1-2 punch of Billy and Ervin at the top of the lineup in front of Votto for years is enough to get one salivating.

It also opens up a bunch of trade possibilities. If Ervin goes off it makes the likes of Waldrop and Yorman expendable if the Reds are in it come the deadline.

Getting way ahead of myself here, though.
    I'm excited to follow him too. He's a college guy so he could be fast tracked...especially after his lost season.

4 HR in 14 games...over half of his total from last year in 130 some games.

If he ends up a top-50 prospect somehow, that alone should solidly put the Reds with a consensus top-10 minor league system. Rankings going into next year should be shaken up a bit...it seems a lot of top talent is graduating to the bigs this season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Doug kept saying that Ervin's fundamentals were strong, even when he was slumping, so we needed to be patient. Chalk up another one for Doug.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-24-2015),HokieRed (04-24-2015),Hoosier Red (04-29-2015),kaldaniels (04-23-2015),kpresidente (04-24-2015),REDREAD (04-24-2015),VottoFan54 (04-24-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Doug kept saying that Ervin's fundamentals were strong, even when he was slumping, so we needed to be patient. Chalk up another one for Doug.
    He's 1-for=2 (Yorman).

I'm going to go ahead and re-post this, since Ervin's hot start in 2015 has fan expectations soaring once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Ervin is a perfect illustration of the fickleness of baseball fans.

When he was tearing it up in 2013, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but when he stumbled out of the gate in 2014, his bandwagon emptied out in a hurry. Player development is a marathon, not a sprint. A prospect is always going to have highs and lows. Fans need to learn to temper their enthusiasm during the highs and do the same for their disappointment during the lows.

7. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (04-24-2015),REDREAD (04-24-2015),Rojo (04-24-2015),Tom Servo (04-24-2015)

I'm going to go ahead and re-post this, since Ervin's hot start in 2015 has fan expectations soaring once again.
    Wrist injuries for baseball players often take a year to fully head and for the area to regain it's strength. Phil's production is the result of being healthy for the first time in a year.

Ervin didn't have a HR until 5/14 last year, and didn't have 4 (his current total) until 6/21.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wonder how aggressively they'll promote him if this continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I wonder how aggressively they'll promote him if this continues.
    Hopefully not too, too aggressively because I am going to see Daytona on May 30. I believe a June 1st promotion should work for me.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

12. Likes:

Plus Plus (04-24-2015),SirFelixCat (04-25-2015)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Is princeton used to say: "Challenge thy hittes, coddle thy pitchers."

If Ervin is hitting like this at the minor league All-Star break, he should be promoted to see how he can do in Pensacola.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Is princeton used to say: "Challenge thy hittes, coddle thy pitchers."

If Ervin is hitting like this at the minor league All-Star break, he should be promoted to see how he can do in Pensacola.
    That's generally how the Reds do it. Midseason promotions for guys that are performing well.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That's generally how the Reds do it. Midseason promotions for guys that are performing well.
    Seems right. I forget who made the comment, and obviously it was made awhile back, but I remember someone in the front office saying that Ervin was a guy that could help rapidly within the next year or two. I agree with you on how the Reds usually promote, but that blurb made me think they might push the guy more aggressively than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Wrist injuries for baseball players often take a year to fully head and for the area to regain it's strength. Phil's production is the result of being healthy for the first time in a year.
    Could be .... or it could be the result of a guy getting off to a hot start. Ervin had his fair share of hot streaks last year too, just not enough to offset his even more frequent icy cold streaks.

Could be .... or it could be the result of a guy getting off to a hot start. Ervin had his fair share of hot streaks last year too, just not enough to offset his even more frequent icy cold streaks.

I don't think it's a hot streak with his HR tally this year. The HR's indicate he has his wrist strength back.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/finding...rist-injuries/

good article on it.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Apparently I missed that high A is no longer in Bakersfield. The FSL typically dominates hitters; Ervin's numbers look even better. I'm a fan.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (04-27-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Apparently I missed that high A is no longer in Bakersfield. The FSL typically dominates hitters; Ervin's numbers look even better. I'm a fan.
    The Milb App has apparently missed that as well. I keep getting notifications on the Blaze. Is there a fix?

Turn Off Ads?