Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Ervin

Re: Phil Ervin

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The Tortugas' ballpark is known for sapping power to left field, making Ervin's numbers even more impressive.
    Clearly, the solution to that is to have him play in Pensacola.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-01-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    After his soul crushing 2014, I'd rather leave him in a place where he can gleefully mash his opponents like Godzilla rampaging through Tokyo. At least give him half a season to enjoy his success before calling for him to be bumped up a level.

5. Likes:

dfs (05-18-2016),malcontent (05-01-2015),Tom Servo (05-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    After his soul crushing 2014, I'd rather leave him in a place where he can gleefully mash his opponents like Godzilla rampaging through Tokyo. At least give him half a season to enjoy his success before calling for him to be bumped up a level.
    Yeah, as pumped as I am over the prospect of him manning the outfield with Winker in Pensacola, I'd give Ervin at least another month in Daytona.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

That seems to stop Reds hitters from hitting. Is it the air in that place? Hardly anyone hits when they go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    That seems to stop Reds hitters from hitting. Is it the air in that place? Hardly anyone hits when they go there.
    Yet, when Pensacola pitchers get rocked (e.g. Stephenson), people excuse it because it's a "hitter's park." Yet, it doesn't seem to help any of our hitters. Weird how the park just hurts our pitchers, but doesn't help our hitters. Someone will need to explain that one to me.

Also: Phil Ervin is the real deal Holyfield.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Yet, when Pensacola pitchers get rocked (e.g. Stephenson), people excuse it because it's a "hitter's park." Yet, it doesn't seem to help any of our hitters. Weird how the park just hurts our pitchers, but doesn't help our hitters. Someone will need to explain that one to me.

Also: Phil Ervin is the real deal Holyfield.
    The park is built for RH pull hitters. The Reds have not yet sent a true prospect that fits that description through Pensacola. The 2012 team had David Vidal as the lone RH hitter who was supposed to have any power that was a real prospect. The 2013 team had Travis Mattair and outside of his stint in Bakersfield, he easily hit the most home runs in his career that season. Juan Duran hit 17 home runs, his second highest, but he hit homers at a higher rate than he did in Bakersfield (he just had more PA at Bakersfield).

The problem is that the Reds just haven't had any good RHH go through there that are pull oriented hitters. Yorman Rodriguez and Seth Mejias-Brean are both CF/RF hitters, so their right handness doesn't really benefit from the park.

Ervin has been a pull oriented guy for his career. Blandino's been a LF/CF guy this year as well, though last year he was pretty even across the board.

MILB article on Ervin. It states that he is playing center field well.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...b&ymd=20150506

11. Likes:

mace (05-07-2015),REDREAD (05-07-2015),Tom Servo (05-07-2015)

He's hitting .120 in the month of May.

BUST
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He's hitting .120 in the month of May.

BUST
    I'm sure he's working to get his lifetime OPS down to around .700 so that Doug will consider him a serious prospect.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

So what can one make of Phillip's 2015 so far?

Seems like he has about the same plate discipline (12 BB vs 9 BB) and contact (16 K vs 19 K) in May as April, but he's clearly been much worse. Has he just been unlucky, or making weak contact?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So what can one make of Phillip's 2015 so far?

Seems like he has about the same plate discipline (12 BB vs 9 BB) and contact (16 K vs 19 K) in May as April, but he's clearly been much worse. Has he just been unlucky, or making weak contact?
    Power went missing in May.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Power went missing in May.
    Doug, has there been an injury with Ervin? As hot as he was in April, he's struggled mightily since.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Doug, has there been an injury with Ervin? As hot as he was in April, he's struggled mightily since.
    .357 BABiP in April, .222 since. I'm not blaming all luck since his power numbers are down too, but things are never as good as your highest high and never as bad as your lowest low.

.357 BABiP in April, .222 since. I'm not blaming all luck since his power numbers are down too, but things are never as good as your highest high and never as bad as your lowest low.
    .357 BABIP is not unsustainably high though. The .222 BABIP since tells me he's not squaring up the ball. Weak contact will cause a low BABIP (though there are things like just plain old luck that can cause it in small samples, too)
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Always been a big supporter, but he has me flummoxed. Any off-field stuff that gets in the way?

Turn Off Ads?