Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Ervin

Re: Phil Ervin

New Comp: Kevin McReynolds. Kind of a RF/CF tweener, decent power, some speed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Speaking of Ervin, he's cooled off a bit. Only .257 with .824 OPS his last 10 games.

Ervin has heated back up. .294/.415/.559 last 10 games. Wouldn't mind seeing a promotion now. He struggled, then came back from it so would be a good time to advance with confidence high.

Interesting.

Could Ludwick's rehab stint in Dayton slow an Ervin promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
    Interesting.

Could Ludwick's rehab stint in Dayton slow an Ervin promotion?
    Different positions, I'd bring Ervin up to shadow Ludwick as he has an excellent reputation about putting in the work to sucdeed.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Different positions, I'd bring Ervin up to shadow Ludwick as he has an excellent reputation about putting in the work to sucdeed.
    So, then, minor league squads don't have roster size limits? Or do rehabbing players not count towards roster size?

Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
    So, then, minor league squads don't have roster size limits? Or do rehabbing players not count towards roster size?
    Rehabilitation assignments do not count as optional assignments nor do they count against the minor league affiliate's active roster.
    Yes, as the link from the bottom of my answer will show. Here's the primary info, straight from Minor League Baseball's website:

Triple-A: International, Pacific Coast — 24 players may be active at one time; 38 players may be under team control.
    Double-A: Eastern, Southern, Texas — 24 active; 37 under control.
    Class A Advanced: California, Carolina, Florida State — 25 active; 35 under control; no more than two players and one player-coach on active list may have six or more years of prior Minor League service.
    Class A: Midwest, South Atlantic — 25 active; 35 under control; no more than two players on active list may have five or more years of prior Minor League service.
    Class A Short-Season: New York-Penn, Northwest — 30 active; 35 under control, but only 25 may be in uniform and eligible to play in any given game; no more than three players on the active list may have four or more years of prior Minor League service.
    Rookie: Appalachian, Pioneer, Arizona, Gulf Coast leagues — 35 active, but only 30 may be in uniform and eligible to play in any given game; no player may have three or more years of prior Minor League Service.
    Rookie: Venezuelan Summer, Dominican Summer — 35 active, but only 30 may be in uniform and eligible to play in any given game; no player may have four or more years of prior Minor League Service.

Typically, when one player is demoted, another player is either promoted to replace him or it sets off a series of demotions that ends in someone getting put on a reserve list for one of the teams (which accounts for the difference between the active roster and total players under team control).

FAQs: The Business of MiLB | MiLB.com Official Info | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-23-2013 at 11:50 AM.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (07-26-2013)

I attended the Brewers/Mustang game in Helena last night. Ervin was dialed in getting 4 hits with 2 Home Runs. This is the 2nd time that I have seen him play this summer and he looked much more relaxed, not pressing as much.

11. Likes:

Kiko (07-27-2013),OnBaseMachine (07-26-2013)

Dialed in is right.

Ervin's stats in his last 14 games: .358/.443/.736/1.178 4HR 17RS 15RBI 12XBH

I would love to see Ervin promoted to Dayton ASAP.

14. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (07-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Dialed in is right.

Ervin's stats in his last 14 games: .358/.443/.736/1.178 4HR 17RS 15RBI 12XBH
    Add elite amounts of stolen bases and 100 points to that BA and you get Gary Redus
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=redus-001gar

I try not to get too gaga over most prospects knowing few will succeed, but between Ervin and Winker, I admit I'm pretty excited about the possibilities. It seems both are legitimately talented hitters who seem to know what they're doing at the plate.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

17. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (07-28-2013),Edd Roush (07-27-2013),mdccclxix (07-26-2013),OnBaseMachine (07-26-2013),Tom Servo (07-26-2013),WrongVerb (07-26-2013)

Ervin hammered another homer in Helena last night in a home run derby in Helena---8 home runs hit in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I try not to get too gaga over most prospects knowing few will succeed, but between Ervin and Winker, I admit I'm pretty excited about the possibilities. It seems both are legitimately talented hitters who seem to know what they're doing at the plate.
    I don't even care if the stats are or aren't similar, but Winker reminds me so much of Joey Votto when he was in Dayton. I had the pleasure of seeing Votto play about 50+ games in Dayton. Anyone close to the team knew he was legit.

What happened with his wrist? When was that?

Turn Off Ads?