Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Michael Lorenzen

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Michael Lorenzen

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    After reading Buckley's comments, the weird thing is that it doesn't sound like the Reds have a plan for him at all. They are going to try him as a hitter, and as a pitcher - not sure if starter or reliever. Buckley even says "We'll see what Mike wants to do." Very confusing if you ask me. I'd think if you're going to spend a top 40 pick on a guy who was not a consensus top 40 player, you'd have a pretty good idea or vision for where you wanted him to play.
    I agree, if this is not politicking. I hope that the Reds want to make him into a pitcher, but would prefer that he comes to that conclusion after a few rough months at the plate in rookie ball so that the Reds don't have to strong arm him (no pun intended) into being a pitcher.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    thorn

If i'm not mistaken, it was mentioned during the game with UCLA, he would prefer to try hitting first. I think I remember somewhere this was the same with Thompson.

I'd think if you're going to spend a top 40 pick on a guy who was not a consensus top 40 player, you'd have a pretty good idea or vision for where you wanted him to play.
    Sounds to me more like the prospect hounds just got it wrong rather than the Reds reaching for him. It appears there were a number of teams looking to draft him around the same spot.

As far as having a plan goes, I think Buckley is just being diplomatic. You have to sign the guy first. If he comes out and says "I don't give a damn what Michael wants, he's going to be a pitcher", that might impact Lorenzen's willingness to sign and/or attitude about being a Red. I suspect they have a very specific plan in mind, but they want to sell Lorenzen on it before sharing it with the public.

5. Likes:

mth123 (06-08-2013),RedEye (06-08-2013),REDREAD (06-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    As far as having a plan goes, I think Buckley is just being diplomatic. You have to sign the guy first. If he comes out and says "I don't give a damn what Michael wants, he's going to be a pitcher", that might impact Lorenzen's willingness to sign and/or attitude about being a Red. I suspect they have a very specific plan in mind, but they want to sell Lorenzen on it before sharing it with the public.
    Buckley's "we think he can start" comment says a lot about his plan IMO considering how they've handled these guys in the past. I think you're right. Sign him and then convince him what his best option is later. It should be fascinating to watch considering he probably hasn't spent much time on his pitching at all. He's probably got more upside than any other college closer we've converted.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Lorenzen's Cal State stats
    http://www.fullertontitans.com/sport...BSBOverall.pdf

Only 20ks in 22.2 innings. 1.99 ERA .205 BAA
    Hitting: .335/.412/.515.

Arguably the best hitter on his (elite) college team.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Sounds to me more like the prospect hounds just got it wrong rather than the Reds reaching for him. It appears there were a number of teams looking to draft him around the same spot.

He is not a signing risk at all. When is the last time a first/sandwich college player got drafted at or ABOVE where they were supposed to go and didn't sign?
    Go BLUE!!!

The closer I look at his stats and video, the more I like this guy a lot. BUT...if he's made into a reliever it would be a massive disappointment. I hope that was just speculation and he will be made into a position player or a starter.

He is not a signing risk at all. When is the last time a first/sandwich college player got drafted at or ABOVE where they were supposed to go and didn't sign?
    Even without the signing risk, it's just a more tactful way to approach it. They probably haven't had more than a few phone conversations with him. No reason to come right out to the public and immediately say he won't be doing what he said he wants to do.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The closer I look at his stats and video, the more I like this guy a lot. BUT...if he's made into a reliever it would be a massive disappointment. I hope that was just speculation and he will be made into a position player or a starter.
    I'm just playing devil's advocate here...

Top relievers go for 6-7 million/year roughly.
    Look at what Broxton, Chapman and Marshal are making (and their peers on other teams).

Sure, as a general rule an ace starter like Latos is more valuable than an ace reliever like Chapman.. But IMO.. Chapman is more valuable than a middling starter.

I guess I would not be upset if the guy ended up being a reliever.
    Of course, a dominating starter would be better, but if the choice is getting a dominant reliever out of the supplemental pick or a starting pitching prospect that washes out.. obviously a dominant reliever is a success.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm just playing devil's advocate here...

Top relievers go for 6-7 million/year roughly.
    Look at what Broxton, Chapman and Marshal are making (and their peers on other teams).

Sure, as a general rule an ace starter like Latos is more valuable than an ace reliever like Chapman.. But IMO.. Chapman is more valuable than a middling starter.

I guess I would not be upset if the guy ended up being a reliever.
    Of course, a dominating starter would be better, but if the choice is getting a dominant reliever out of the supplemental pick or a starting pitching prospect that washes out.. obviously a dominant reliever is a success.
    A lot of hypotheticals here, but more importantly, if he ends up being a reliever that's one thing. But to put him there immediately when he may be able to be a position player or a starter seems shortsighted.

14. Likes:

redsmetz (06-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    A lot of hypotheticals here, but more importantly, if he ends up being a reliever that's one thing. But to put him there immediately when he may be able to be a position player or a starter seems shortsighted.
    Yea, I agree with that.
    He should be tried as a starter first, for sure.

I guess I'm not disappointed though if he ends up being a quality reliever.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Any one know what the hold up is to this guy signing? Are they still debating if he is going to be a pitcher or OF? Or is he holding out? I was under the impression he didn't have a whole lot of leverage.

I think I would rather see what this guy could do playing every day in the OF, rather than pitch. I know you can't have too much pitching, but I'd love to see how his bat would play.

EDIT: Is Cal State-Fullerton still playing or is their season over?
    Last edited by MikeS21; 06-18-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

EDIT: Is Cal State-Fullerton still playing or is their season over?
    Knocked out by Zach Weiss and UCLA.

The delay could simply be that his season ended late and they want him to get recharged before coming back to baseball full-time.

I too see no harm in allowing him to play OF at Billings for the remainder of this year. If it does not work, then start fresh next year as a starter.

Regarding the signing delay, his slot is the last opportunity to save enough pool money to make a serious run at some of the college committed players.

Regarding the signing delay, his slot is the last opportunity to save enough pool money to make a serious run at some of the college committed players.
    While they could sign Lorenzen below slot, I don't think they'll be able to save much, if any. He was not considered an overdraft.

They can save on Franklin, I think, since he was rated well below where he was selected, and on Weiss.

20. Likes:

Farnsie (06-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?