Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Michael Lorenzen

Re: Michael Lorenzen

The Reds are almost to the point where they have a lot of pitching, but need some lumber in the OF.
    Outfield depth right now is really good: Hamilton, Lutz, Yorman, Arias, Winker, Ervin (and maybe Reynoso, who was considered a top 10 prospect in the system coming into the year).

I think they need Lorenzen to develop as a pitcher -- starter or high leverage reliever, either one.

2. Likes:

Benihana (06-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I could live with Lorenzen as a starting pitcher or as an OF. But to turn him into a bullpen arm after drafting him so high would be a huge HUGE disappointment. To me, the bullpen arm is the 4 year college guy drafted in the 5th round, who either makes it in the bullpen or not at all.

I still want to see him hit. The Reds are almost to the point where they have a lot of pitching, but need some lumber in the OF.
    Agree with the first part, disagree with the second. Reds have more OF depth as lollipop said above than any other position in the system at this point. Plus with respect to Lorenzen, he's not bringing the lumber. His superior skill is his OF defense, not his ability to hit - there are a lot of questions about his bat.

I'd start him every fifth day on the mound in Billings and let him DH everyday. He should dominate that level on the mound. Meanwhile, if an advanced college hitter can't hit in Billings, he's probably not going to hit. The issue of what position he plays should sort itself out by the end of the summer, if the Reds haven't decided already.

Then for 2014 what level he starts at is determined by what position he ends up at:
    If he's gonna play OF, he starts in Dayton
    If he's gonna be a SP, he starts in Bakersfield
    If he's gonna be a RP, he starts in Pensacola
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-22-2013 at 05:31 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I could live with Lorenzen as a starting pitcher or as an OF. But to turn him into a bullpen arm after drafting him so high would be a huge HUGE disappointment. To me, the bullpen arm is the 4 year college guy drafted in the 5th round, who either makes it in the bullpen or not at all.

I still want to see him hit. The Reds are almost to the point where they have a lot of pitching, but need some lumber in the OF.
    The comment about the "bullpen arm" being the "4 year college guy drafted in the 5th round" is exactly the reason the Reds are in third place.

Bullpens are important. Not only that, but relievers often aren't effective for too long. You need fresh ones, new ones. And relievers get hurt, you need injury depth. The Reds this year had to reach for Partch, a guy barely at AAA.

It's unfortunate, I know that everyone dreams of every good arm becoming Sandy Koufax. But we live in an age of six and seven inning starters, at best.

If the Reds think this guy is cut out to be a late inning reliever, so be it, let 'er rip.

Lorenzen is showing on the AZL Reds roster as a pitcher. It could mean nothing. That may have been the only roster with a spot and a further move is to come. Or, it could mean that they are going to keep him there for awhile and work on developing him as a starter. Stay tuned.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Why not let him do both to start out?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The comment about the "bullpen arm" being the "4 year college guy drafted in the 5th round" is exactly the reason the Reds are in third place.

Bullpens are important. Not only that, but relievers often aren't effective for too long. You need fresh ones, new ones. And relievers get hurt, you need injury depth. The Reds this year had to reach for Partch, a guy barely at AAA.

It's unfortunate, I know that everyone dreams of every good arm becoming Sandy Koufax. But we live in an age of six and seven inning starters, at best.

If the Reds think this guy is cut out to be a late inning reliever, so be it, let 'er rip.
    Is it also the reason they have the third-best record in the entire NL and would easily qualify for the playoffs at this point?

Let's be real. The reason the Reds are "in third place" is because they play in the toughest division in MLB this season. It's that simple. The Reds have a damn good record.

Turn Off Ads?