Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Official Draft Picks and Signings Thread

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: 2013 Official Draft Picks and Signings Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Apparently Abreu will not be signing with Reds

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/O...o-Miami-135854

Mater Academy outfielder Willie Abreu, a 14th-round draft pick by Cincinnati, has decided he will attend the University of Miami spurning a big offer by the Reds.
    Great.

So, is this unexpected?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?

He asked for $450K and Reds agreed so it was 50/50 I think

He could have always gone back to college with that kind of money.
    He must be really good and figures he can get drafted higher and get more?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Great.

So, is this unexpected?
    You got to figure if he asked for 450k, and the Reds offered it.. the Reds were pretty confident he would sign. (Otherwise, why negotiate and use a pick on him?) This is a disappointment to me.
    I understand, it's part of the draft game. Lots of kids say they will sign, only to go to college. Probably strokes their egos to say the Reds drafted them and offered 450k to sign..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I wasn't a big fan of Abreu. I'd rather see them get Morales or Collins. Even the kid Freeland is more interesting to me.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-20-2013)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...-lorenzen.html

The Reds have agreed to terms with competitive balance pick Michael Lorenzen, MLBTR's Chris Cotillo has learned. The Cal State Fullerton product is advised by the Boras Corporation. He will receive a $1.5MM signing bonus, which is slightly more than the $1,470,500 assigned pick value reported by Baseball America in April.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-20-2013)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I wasn't a big fan of Abreu. I'd rather see them get Morales or Collins. Even the kid Freeland is more interesting to me.
    I agree. I would like to see the Reds give whatever is left of the bonus pool to Morales or Collins. I love high upside starting pitchers and catchers.

By my calculation, the Reds have $1,137,300 to sign Franklin, Weiss and whoever goes over the $100,000 cap for non-Top 10 round picks. If the Reds go at slot for Franklin and Weiss, they can only offer $98,400 more to the non-Top 10 round picks. Since Franklin seems like a reach, let's hope the Reds can sign him a few hundred thousand below slot and throw all of that money at Morales or Collins.

If the Reds can sign Franklin, Weiss and one of Morales or Collins, I will be very happy with the Reds signing effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I agree. I would like to see the Reds give whatever is left of the bonus pool to Morales or Collins. I love high upside starting pitchers and catchers.

By my calculation, the Reds have $1,137,300 to sign Franklin, Weiss and whoever goes over the $100,000 cap for non-Top 10 round picks. If the Reds go at slot for Franklin and Weiss, they can only offer $98,400 more to the non-Top 10 round picks. Since Franklin seems like a reach, let's hope the Reds can sign him a few hundred thousand below slot and throw all of that money at Morales or Collins.

If the Reds can sign Franklin, Weiss and one of Morales or Collins, I will be very happy with the Reds signing effort.
    Agree with this but I thought Collins was definitely going to college? If that's indeed the case, I really hope they go all out to sign Morales, even if it means completely foregoing Weiss. Morales has a LOT more upside than Weiss.

I'm disappointed Abreu didn't sign.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post

I've updated the Spreadsheet. It shows a lower number. Just over a million.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agree with this but I thought Collins was definitely going to college? If that's indeed the case, I really hope they go all out to sign Morales, even if it means completely foregoing Weiss. Morales has a LOT more upside than Weiss.

I'm disappointed Abreu didn't sign.
    The problem is that if the Reds do not sign Weiss, they forefit the entire $206,200 they have in the bonus pool for that pick. Therefore, if the Reds don't sign Weiss, they only have $931,100 to spend on Franklin plus the overages on the non top-10 picks. Therefore, the Reds really should sign Weiss unless he is wanting significantly more than $206,200 to sign.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I've updated the Spreadsheet. It shows a lower number. Just over a million.
    Jax, is Lorenzen getting 1.55 million as you have on the spreadsheet or 1.5 million as http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...-lorenzen.html says?
    Last edited by Edd Roush; 06-20-2013 at 03:44 PM.

I'm sure it's 1.5 I misread it. Fixed

Michael Lorenzen ‏@Lorenzen55 4h
    California ✈ Cincinnati!
    https://twitter.com/Lorenzen55

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Michael Lorenzen ‏@Lorenzen55 4h

https://twitter.com/Lorenzen55
    I like the DH everyday and SP every fifth day.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I like the DH everyday and SP every fifth day.
    Never going to happen.

Turn Off Ads?