Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Official Draft Picks and Signings Thread

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: 2013 Official Draft Picks and Signings Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Never going to happen.
    Reading between the lines, what kind of role do you expect Lorenzen to have in 2013?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Never going to happen.
    Why not?
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Why not?
    Because if he is starting as a pitcher, he needs the time between the starts for things that aren't batting practice, game action and things like that. You are going to have him throw his side session before a game? Probably not. You aren't sending your starter out there to face live pitching every day, to run the bases. I mean I guess I could be wrong, but I just can't see a team doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Reading between the lines, what kind of role do you expect Lorenzen to have in 2013?
    Bullpen.

Bullpen.
    Or whatever.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-22-2013),Wonderful Monds (06-22-2013)

Bullpen.
    Then I hope it's at a higher, fast track, level.

I see Boras is involved. Guess that explains the slight delay. I also wonder if Abreu had any impact. The Reds may have been holding the line at a lower number for Lorenzen to have extra cash to throw at Abreu. Now the Abreu is off the table, they decided to get it done. Signed pretty quickly after Abreu's no deal anouncement.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Then I hope it's at a higher, fast track, level.

I see Boras is involved. Guess that explains the slight delay. I also wonder if Abreu had any impact. The Reds may have been holding the line at a lower number for Lorenzen to have extra cash to throw at Abreu. Now the Abreu is off the table, they decided to get it done. Signed pretty quickly after Abreu's no deal anouncement.
    All of that is speculation. Boras may not have had anything to do with it. Abreu could have told the Reds 10 days ago he was going to school, but it just got reported today.

Maybe he stays in the bullpen this year just to get used to pro ball with the look towards perhaps starting next year. There is no need to rush him this year. He wasn't going to help the Reds this season or the first half of next season. If they want to push him fast they can start him in Bakersfield next year and do that in a relief role if they want.

All of that is speculation. Boras may not have had anything to do with it. Abreu could have told the Reds 10 days ago he was going to school, but it just got reported today.

Maybe he stays in the bullpen this year just to get used to pro ball with the look towards perhaps starting next year. There is no need to rush him this year. He wasn't going to help the Reds this season or the first half of next season. If they want to push him fast they can start him in Bakersfield next year and do that in a relief role if they want.
    You're probably right. I'm just looking for as many guys as possible to put in line for a major league spot in front of Logan Ondrusek.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-20-2013)

Reminder, this thread was supposed to be for signing info only, not discussion. I've updated the Spreadsheet to indicate some guys as signed based on their presence on the AZL roster

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ozikowski.html

The Reds have locked up second-round choice K.J. Franklin for $675k, which is more than $150k below the slot recommendation, according to a tweet from Baseball America's Jim Callis. The high-school third baseman was a surprise second-rounder given his 232nd overall rank by BA.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Updated spreadsheet for Franklin signing

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Knowing "Da U's" reputation, I'm sure someone in Coral Gables is paying Abreu under the table for him to turn down $450K. He's not good enough to turn down that kind of money to go play for free for three years. C'mon ... this one stinks to high heavens.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Knowing "Da U's" reputation, I'm sure someone in Coral Gables is paying Abreu under the table for him to turn down $450K. He's not good enough to turn down that kind of money to go play for free for three years. C'mon ... this one stinks to high heavens.
    It happens every year. And while Miami has a good baseball reputation, I really don't think anyone cares enough to fork out the kind of money needed to make someone turn down that kind of money. This is college baseball, not football. What is a lot more likely is that someone convinced him he can be a first round pick and triple that money in three years if he performs.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Reminder, this thread was supposed to be for signing info only, not discussion. I've updated the Spreadsheet to indicate some guys as signed based on their presence on the AZL roster
    I have a request: Is there any way we can please have both in this thread? Would the group have a problem with that? I love this thread and as long as we don't go overboard with it, I think adding some comments/opinions when guys sign or when they don't just adds to the thread. Or talking about how much guys sign for, things like that. I love it for some reason. I realize we could create a separate thread for discussion, but I don't see the harm in streamlining the process and keeping all 2013 draft pick signing updates and discussion in this thread.

Also, the first post of this thread serves as a great "update" because it's constantly showing who has signed, what they signed for, etc.

Thanks for taking this under consideration. Perhaps we can vote on it to see what the group thinks? Having two threads seems like overkill. Let's keep it all here! Pretty please with sugar on top? Ha.

It happens every year. And while Miami has a good baseball reputation, I really don't think anyone cares enough to fork out the kind of money needed to make someone turn down that kind of money. This is college baseball, not football. What is a lot more likely is that someone convinced him he can be a first round pick and triple that money in three years if he performs.
    It's different down there. They take their college baseball very seriously. You're right, not to the point of football, but it's not as far off as one might think. There are definitely plenty of big-money boosters who care about baseball. And don't forget Miami is also (allegedly) the dirtiest program in college baseball PED-wise. The guy that hooked A-Rod, Braun, Grandal, etc up has been hooking "Da U" players up for the last several years.

Turn Off Ads?