Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Official 2013 Draft Day 2 Thread

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Official 2013 Draft Day 2 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Going back to Buckley's first two drafts, you could add Neftali Soto, Justin Turner, Josh Roenicke and of course Chris Heisey to the list of people who have "mattered." Still a thoroughly unimpressive list (and that's not a knock on Buckley, but on anyone who gets too worked up after the 3rd round of the draft).
    Very interesting. But I can't see how it isn't a very real knock on his drafts.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    You should include the words...SO FAR. You never know who'll take off in the next year or so.
    There are a couple prospects who are a little bit interesting. Cisco and Romano in Dayton. Rogers and Barnhart in Pensacola. We'll see what happens once Langfield comes back healthy. But it's not as if there are a whole host of top shelf prospects from this bunch that are knocking on the door- they will most likely be backups and fringe players if they do reach the bigs someday.

It's not, as I said, so much of a knock on Buckley & Co. but it's more reflective of how meaningless the draft is for every team after the first couple rounds. It just doesn't really move the needle, and it's rare when it does.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-07-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    What is the reason for wanting a LHP? Just to say you have one? RHP have the platoon advantage more often, so no statistic reason to take one. Usually they are more over valued than rhp so you end up taking the lesser talent just due to handedness.
    Aren't about 40% of MLB pitchers LHP?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

I believe Sickels had him rated as his 50th best pitcher in the draft. I guess that's OK value for pick 135...

I really wish we'd take more guys with upside in rounds 3-10. In this case that would be a guy like Jacob Brentz or Dustin Driver. I don't get what the point is of having solid college players that don't project to anything at the major league level, which seems to be Buckely's specialty- especially after the 3rd round.

Even if they don't sign, at this point who cares? You lose nothing by not trying.
    Agree 100%. I know they want guys who move quickly but it is not working.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Aren't about 40% of MLB pitchers LHP?
    About half of that.

There are a couple prospects who are a little bit interesting. Cisco and Romano in Dayton. Rogers and Barnhart in Pensacola. We'll see what happens once Langfield comes back healthy. But it's not as if there are a whole host of top shelf prospects from this bunch that are knocking on the door- they will most likely be backups and fringe players if they do reach the bigs someday.

It's not, as I said, so much of a knock on Buckley & Co. but it's more reflective of how meaningless the draft is for every team after the first couple rounds. It just doesn't really move the needle, and it's rare when it does.
    With where Albert Pujols went, as rare as it may be, it always gives you hope.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    With where Albert Pujols went, as rare as it may be, it always gives you hope.
    Yep. Matt Kemp, Mat Latos, Roy Oswalt and Jake Peavy also.

Don't forget our old friend Kevin Youkilis, who Relaxed Larry so wisely proposed we trade a declining Barry Larkin for back in 2001 (yet was mocked for it on this very board.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

What is interesting is that if you look back on the last six drafts, after the first 100 picks, here are the most interesting names who have logged big league time we have drafted:

Tony Cingrani
    Dave Sappelt

That's it. No one else is remotely interesting, unless you count Pedro Villareal. Shows you how little things matter after the 3rd round of the draft (Cingrani was a late 3rd rounder, so he came after the 100th pick).

Going back to Buckley's first two drafts, you could add Neftali Soto, Justin Turner, Josh Roenicke and of course Chris Heisey to the list of people who have "mattered." Still a thoroughly unimpressive list (and that's not a knock on Buckley, but on anyone who gets too worked up after the 3rd round of the draft).
    LeCure was a fourth-rounder. I know that was just past your cutoff of "last 6 years" but that was one hell of good pick by Buckley and his staff. (Or was that just before Buckley was hired? Can't remember for sure.)
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 06-08-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    LeCure was a fourth-rounder. I know that was just past your cutoff of "last 6 years" but that was one hell of good pick by Buckley and his staff. (Or was that just before Buckley was hired? Can't remember for sure.)
    LeCure was in the 2005 (Jay Bruce) draft. That was pre-Buckley I believe.
    Go BLUE!!!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

LeCure was in the 2005 (Jay Bruce) draft. That was pre-Buckley I believe.
    Gotcha. Thx.

You make good points. The MLB draft in itself is a crapshoot (even the first two rounds). But the odds become even more microscopic after you get past the third round.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    About half of that.
    Let's split the difference, Doug.

30.2% (current MLB rosters)

Reds with an MLB low of two are in great company (Cubs, Brewers and Royals).

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rosters
    Last edited by malcontent; 06-08-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Don't forget our old friend Kevin Youkilis, who Relaxed Larry so wisely proposed we trade a declining Barry Larkin for back in 2001 (yet was mocked for it on this very board.)
    Relaxed Larry?

Turn Off Ads?