Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Lively

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Ben Lively

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    What is his stuff like? Does he have a lively fastball?
    Ha, as predicted, the puns have already started.

Says he topped off around 94 in college. Not sure what he's been clocked at in Billings. (But obviously whatever he's throwing, they aren't hitting. Extremely small sample size, of course.)

I thought Buckley always got his "college pitcher steal" in the third round, not the fourth. Hey, I'll take it though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd have to go back to redsminorleagues.com to be sure, but I think it said...

Fastball in the lower 90s; throws four pitches, but his slider is his main secondary pitch. Apparently, he can throw all of them for strikes.
    Last edited by wastedtime; 07-01-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Ben wondering that myself.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

klw (07-29-2013)

I am always up for some Lively conversation.

I would ask if he has a curve or a slider but that turned out to be a lively debate when it came to Cingrani.

I would ask if he has a curve or a slider but that turned out to be a lively debate when it came to Cingrani.
    The answer would have Ben, "yes."

If his curves are of the same quality as this B. Lively, he will be in the Show in no time.

That is Blake Lively for those of you who might be living under a rock somewhere.

10. Likes:

dougdirt (07-01-2013),PepperJack (07-02-2013)

You guys!

Haha.

Wow, Lively is up to 21 professional innings without giving up a run. Also averaging over a K per inning.

Fourth-round steal:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=594902

wow. For an unexciting guy with limited upside and no real prospects according to the pundits, he is doing quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    wow. For an unexciting guy with limited upside and no real prospects according to the pundits, he is doing quite well.
    Sounds like his fastball is a bit more, uh, er, LIVELY than we were led to believe.

(Now I'm even doing it. Damn. Haha.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Sounds like his fastball is a bit more, uh, er, LIVELY than we were led to believe.

(Now I'm even doing it. Damn. Haha.)

Wasn't his fastball supposed to have been in the lower 90s?

I wonder what we have on our hands.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp..._milb&sid=milb

Lively, who boasts a four-pitch arsenal (fastball, curve, slider, changeup) wrapped up his three-year career at Central Florida in 2013 with the fourth-lowest ERA in school history (3.06) and ranks seventh all-time in wins (21).

The aspects of first-year pro pitching to which Lively has tried to get accustomed are pitch counts and innings limits. Lively has never pitched more than three innings in any start this season, meaning he's never been in line for a victory. He threw 106 innings this past season at Central Florida, so the Reds and Mustangs have been mindful of his workload.

"I always mess around in the dugout: 'Just let me get to five innings, let me get five innings,'" Lively said. "They won't let me."

That's because there's a future to protect.

"He's fun to watch," said Mustangs manager Pat Kelly. "He pitches like you're supposed to. He pitches down in the zone and he pitches to both sides of the plate. He's aggressive, he gets ahead, and he can put you away with the breaking ball or he can elevate the fastball to strike you out. He definitely shows why we drafted him."

Makes me wonder why scouts were so ho-hum about him. Throws with decent velocity. Aggressive. works all the zone. has control. All 4 pitches are quality pitches. Was it because he wasn't in a major conference? He sure seems to be a quality prospect to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Makes me wonder why scouts were so ho-hum about him. Throws with decent velocity. Aggressive. works all the zone. has control. All 4 pitches are quality pitches. Was it because he wasn't in a major conference? He sure seems to be a quality prospect to me.
    Buckley finds a steal from the college ranks almost every year. Usually it's in the third round. Cingrani is of course the most-notable, but it looked like Dan Langfield was on a similar path last year. There was also Donnie Joseph and Zach Stewart who were third-round picks. And this year Buckley nabs Lively in the fourth round. Just unbelievable. This guy's pedigree reads more like a supplemental first-rounder or perhaps a second-rounder at the latest.

Easy to say that now, I realize, but what am I missing? Good resume at a D-I college, four-pitch arsenal, ideal size for a pitcher at 6-4, fastball that tops off around 93-94 (per reports on RedReporter). I don't get it. But I'm sure glad we're the ones who ended up with him. Playing at UCF must have hurt his stock, but I don't understand why it should have. That's still a D-I school playing against top competition.

Turn Off Ads?