Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did Cingrani start Sunday?

Why did Cingrani start Sunday?

With the injury to Cueto being something the Reds have known about since his start in Pittsburgh, I'm just wondering why they didn't have Tony Cingrani skip his scheduled start for Louisville last Sunday as a "just in case".
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Why did Cingrani start Sunday?

No idea. Seems that they like to wait for the ship to hit bottom before starting to bail water.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

It makes no sense at all. You'd think they'd want to get Cingrani as much experience as possible up here -- even if it's just a couple more starts -- but I guess not.

I'm not one to doubt Walt or Dusty very much. But this one has me really scratching my head. If they were caught totally off guard by the injury to Cuteo, I could understand. But it seems to me if you know you have a possible developing situation with Cueto, u skip Cingrani in case u need him tonight.

TC is a pro player on a schedule too

7. Likes:

Cursh14 (06-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    TC is a pro player on a schedule too
    Come on, man. The ultimate goal is to do whatever you have to in order to support the big league club. Backing Cingrani off 3 days would have hurt absolutely nothing and given the Reds an insurance policy at the same time. From the way it sounds, they knew Cueto missing a start was a real possibility.

Thom and Chris said that Cueto first brought it to the Reds' attention during his throwing day.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Thom and Chris said that Cueto first brought it to the Reds' attention during his throwing day.
    Which was Monday IIRC, and the day after TC's start in Toledo.

Coddle thy pitchers

11. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-06-2013)

Is there any doubt after tonight that Cingrani needs to make Cueto's next start?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Which was Monday IIRC, and the day after TC's start in Toledo.

Coddle thy pitchers
    Exactly.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Is there any doubt after tonight that Cingrani needs to make Cueto's next start?
    Nope. He will be here for the next start in this spot. He may throw some time between now and then, but it will be something low like 30 pitches just to keep him from being super rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Nope. He will be here for the next start in this spot. He may throw some time between now and then, but it will be something low like 30 pitches just to keep him from being super rusty.
    I don't know about that. I thought Pedro did a good job keeping the Reds in the game and located his pitches very well. I wouldn't be mad if Tony got Cueto's next scheduled start but would that be fair to Pedro?
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I don't know about that. I thought Pedro did a good job keeping the Reds in the game and located his pitches very well. I wouldn't be mad if Tony got Cueto's next scheduled start but would that be fair to Pedro?
    It's not like Pedro gave them a solid 5 or 6 innings, he gave up 6 ER and 3 HRs and couldn't make it out of the 4th inning. There were times he looked okay but he left a lot of balls up in the strike zone and those pitches ended up getting crushed by Gonzalez and Tulowitzki.

I'm not saying he's a zero, but Cingrani gives them a much better shot at winning and ultimately that'll be the only determining factor.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

18. Likes:

Bumstead (06-06-2013),dubc47834 (06-06-2013)

"Fair" to Pedro?

"Fair" comes on Friday when he gets his paycheck.

20. Likes:

Bumstead (06-06-2013),OnBaseMachine (06-06-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (06-06-2013),The Operator (06-06-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (06-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?