Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cory Thompson

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Cory Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I think he was (somewhat) joking. I found it funny.

But you have to admit Buckley's history of taking hitters in the supplemental first round or second round is very poor (with Winker being the lone exception recently; Frazier an exception a few years back). Jeff Gelalich, Ryan LaMarre, Kevin Franklin, Gabriel Rosa ... on and on and on. Just for that reason, I was skeptical of the Blandino pick. Add in the fact that we put up this facade that he could play SS (when everyone on the outside says no way he'll play SS at the MLB level -- he didn't even play SS for Stanford) and I disliked the pick even more.

22 ABs is an extremely small sample size. Let's just hope it's a slow start and he won't turn out like some of the disappointments Buckley took in the supplemental round or second round recently.
    Where do I even start here?

You conveniently left out our starting shortstop and center fielder from that second round list. You included two guys in your "told you so" list who are 19 and 20. You also left off Tanner Rahier, who is hitting pretty well in Dayton right now at age 20.

I think you believe it is a lot easier to draft guys than it actually is. The Cincinnati Reds track record under Chris Buckley is phenomenal in the draft. You should go back and look at this history for how often second rounders don't amount to much before acting like the Reds are having some sort of monumental failure issue going on.

2. Likes:

Chuckie (07-02-2014),Drugs Delaney (07-03-2014),Edd Roush (07-02-2014),New Fever (07-02-2014),OGB (07-02-2014),Old school 1983 (07-02-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Where do I even start here?

You conveniently left out our starting shortstop and center fielder from that second round list. You included two guys in your "told you so" list who are 19 and 20. You also left off Tanner Rahier, who is hitting pretty well in Dayton right now at age 20.

I think you believe it is a lot easier to draft guys than it actually is. The Cincinnati Reds track record under Chris Buckley is phenomenal in the draft. You should go back and look at this history for how often second rounders don't amount to much before acting like the Reds are having some sort of monumental failure issue going on.
    Good point, I forgot about Billy for some reason. (Which, admittedly, is a huge omission.)

I did say I love Buckley overall, I just think the college batters he's selected recently in the supplemental/second rounds have been very bad. And I do not think drafting in MLB is easy. It's the ultimate crap shoot, but it is strange Buckeye seems to do better in the third/fourth rounds than he does in the supplemental/second rounds. Again, overall, I love the guy and think he does a hell of a job.

Good point, I forgot about Billy for some reason. (Which, admittedly, is a huge omission.)

I did say I love Buckley overall, I just think the college batters he's selected recently in the supplemental/second rounds have been very bad. And I do not think drafting in MLB is easy. It's the ultimate crap shoot, but it is strange Buckeye seems to do better in the third/fourth rounds than he does in the supplemental/second rounds. Again, overall, I love the guy and think he does a hell of a job.
    When it comes to hitters (college or not), I'm not sure his track record in the 3rd or 4th round is any better than the supplemental or 2nd? He's had a couple of very good picks in the 3rd round (Stewart and Cingrani) and one in the 4th (Lively). Not sure who else is relevant there - certainly not any hitters?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    When it comes to hitters (college or not), I'm not sure his track record in the 3rd or 4th round is any better than the supplemental or 2nd? He's had a couple of very good picks in the 3rd round (Stewart and Cingrani) and one in the 4th (Lively). Not sure who else is relevant there - certainly not any hitters?
    Dan Langfield, Jon Moscot and Donnie Joseph (valuable trade chip). Buckley is money when it comes to drafting college pitchers in the 3rd and 4th round.

Dan Langfield, Jon Moscot and Donnie Joseph (valuable trade chip). Buckley is money when it comes to drafting college pitchers in the 3rd and 4th round.
    I said hitters? per your previous quote
    Go BLUE!!!

I said hitters? per your previous quote
    Oh, sorry, I was saying Buckley is $ when it comes to college pitchers in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

Looking at the system as a product of Buckley, we see one that's rich in pitching, with some polished bats and sadly lacking middle infielders.

On the whole, he''s done a great job. On the last point, I guess this is my nit to pick. And it's probably why I'm anti-Blandino. Recognizing our own limitations is important and I'd hope that Buckley can see that there's a time to break with his instincts. IOW, I'd really wished he'd occassionally roll the dice on a true SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Looking at the system as a product of Buckley, we see one that's rich in pitching, with some polished bats and sadly lacking middle infielders.

On the whole, he''s done a great job. On the last point, I guess this is my nit to pick. And it's probably why I'm anti-Blandino. Recognizing our own limitations is important and I'd hope that Buckley can see that there's a time to break with his instincts. IOW, I'd really wished he'd occassionally roll the dice on a true SS.
    The irony is, wasn't Buckley the guy when he first arrived that strongly preferred middle of the diamond players? He clearly shifted to pitchers and corner of the diamond players over the last 4 years or so- hasn't drafted a single middle of the diamond player in the first three rounds during that time- unless you count Blandino the college 3B.
    Go BLUE!!!

The irony is, wasn't Buckley the guy when he first arrived that strongly preferred middle of the diamond players? He clearly shifted to pitchers and corner of the diamond players over the last 4 years or so- hasn't drafted a single middle of the diamond player in the first three rounds during that time- unless you count Blandino the college 3B.
    I don't think this is a conscious choice. I just think his yen for polished bats and his "can play multiple positions" thing is blinding him to some players. It's mostly worked, so I'm not asking him to churn it up, just take a flyer on a toolsy SS every once in a while.

19 games into the season, Thompson boats a .333/.356/.580 slash line. It's too early to declare him the future SS of the Reds, but he's quickly becoming a prospect to watch.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (07-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    19 games into the season, Thompson boats a .333/.356/.580 slash line. It's too early to declare him the future SS of the Reds, but he's quickly becoming a prospect to watch.
    Read post #5 in the thread. He's been a prospect to watch since the day he was drafted
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm heartned, truly. But also, Billings.

Pretty fired up about both Thompson and Blandino. They're each raking at Billings. Finally some quality middle infield depth in the Reds' minor league system? We can only hope.

Turn Off Ads?