Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: 6/7/2013 Reds v. Cardinals (The Return of Phillips...this time it's personal)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: 6/7/2013 Reds v. Cardinals (The Return of Phillips...this time it's personal)

Dusty had nothing to do with that blood-letting tonight.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 6/7/2013 Reds v. Cardinals (The Return of Phillips...this time it's personal)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Dusty had nothing to do with that blood-letting tonight.
    Yep...he wasn't the reason why they lost. He never is IMO.

However, pitching Ondrusek in the 6th was a death sentence. He pitched poorly but it was his inning so Dusty threw him.

Paint by Numbers

If your behind.... Ondrusek, Parra, Hoover, Simon
    If your ahead Brox, Marshall, Chapman

Lecure is typically the only reliever allowed to pitch regardless of score

Brox and Marshall never before the 7th, Chapman never before the ninth

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Verse righties

Choo
    Paul
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Mesigan
    Cozy
    Pitcher

Verse Lefties
    Choo
    Frazier
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Mesigan
    Cozart
    Robinson
    Pitcher
    This is better:
    Verse Lefties
    Choo
    Robinson
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Mesigan
    Cozart
    Pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    This is better:
    Verse Lefties
    Choo
    Robinson
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Mesigan
    Cozart
    Pitcher
    Crossed my mind...Robinson doesn't hit enough for me...he's fast but he isn't a particularly good base stealer unless dusty just isn't giving him the steal signal.
    (1 for 3). I want someone in the 2 hole who can drive Choo in from first with a gap shot or a long ball. I also think Todd will benefit from the fastballs he'll see with Votto behind him.

Games like today's are the worst thing about baseball.

Knowing we get another stab at 'em tomorrow is the best.

I was leery about getting a W here knowing that it was Wainwright vs. Leake. Tomorrow it's Lynn vs. Latos. If we let that game slip away from us, I don't think there's any chance we win on Sunday. Cardinals have had momentum from the beginning of the season and the Reds have been on a skid. This is probably the worst time all season for this series to take place.

Knowing that Sunday night we could be 6 games back has me very nervous. I don't know if this team has a monstrous run in them like they did last July/August. But even if there isn't, there's no way the Cardinals can keep this up. You rarely see teams (and never see the Reds) hit like this with RISP. Especially on a stretch like this. It's almost historic production coming from that lineup.

Losing to them sucks, but they could sweep us the rest of the season and as long as they're taking major lumps elsewhere, we could beat them out for the division.

And we need a new hitting coach. Hell, we need an entire new hitting culture injected into Cincinnati. I'd kill to get Dwayne Murphy down here. Is Rudy Jaramillo working anywhere right now? I know he didn't have much success Cubs, but it's the Cubs. Everywhere else he went he developed monsters.

The Cardinals came in here more tired than the Reds ...should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I try to stay positive about the Reds

But it feels like the Reds will always play little brother to the Cards. Even in years recently where the Reds have been better, the Cards still always have our number and they still end up advancing further in the postseason. I'm tired of it.
    It is like the Bengals against the Steelers and Ravens...NO Matter how many steps are taken and they get better....the other team does not go into any down time or period. They are always there.... bringing in new blood to help or signing just the right FA.

Giving up runs with 2 outs for just about every loss.... Disappearing on offense for almost whole games. How can you not be frustrated how they are playing and giving away a games?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    It is like the Bengals against the Steelers and Ravens...NO Matter how many steps are taken and they get better....the other team does not go into any down time or period. They are always there.... bringing in new blood to help or signing just the right FA.

Giving up runs with 2 outs for just about every loss.... Disappearing on offense for almost whole games. How can you not be frustrated how they are playing and giving away a games?
    Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

We did take the division twice, but I would argue the scouting, think tank and managing is in the Cards favor. Obviously, the Bengals would fall into the same category.

What goes up must come down. I'm hoping that a week of ridiculous hitting peaked tonite for the dirty birds.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    What goes up must come down. I'm hoping that a week of ridiculous hitting peaked tonite for the dirty birds.
    I hope you're right, but I doubt it. What they are doing with RISP is flat out ridiculous, but I don't think they're done yet. If the Reds win tomorrow, I think we have a chance to win on Sunday too. But if we have another game like today, I think the Cardinals sweep us.

They call me "chef"

You can't pitch to Kozma and expect to win games. Baker needs to tell Latos to IBB Kozma everytime. The kid is a natural.

That Manny Parra is a pitcher. I see how he made the team now.

IMO, Dusty punted the game when he brought Ondrusek. I think everyone saw what was to come then. He's a pigeon hole manager. You can't go out of the hole in his view. No it probably didn't cost them the game. I doubt they were coming back on Wainwright but they were still in the game at that point. No chance after Ondrusek came in. He and Parra should have been on that bus with Villareal back to Louisville and never to be seen again.
    The Cards look awfully good. I know some of their numbers will come back down to earth but still will be a tough team to catch. The way they work the pitchers remind of those late 90's to mid 2000's Yankee and Red Sox teams. Everyone in the lineup knows how to work a pitcher then get the hit when they need it most. They are hitting .340 in RISP. If they drop 50 points they will still be at .290. That's really good after losing 50 points. Its going to be a very tough way to overtake them. It may take massive injuries to the Cards starting 8 to overtake them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (06-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    This is just sickening.

I've never been in the "Fire Dusty" camp, but I'm about to join it. Ondrusek even being on this team just blows.

Told you before, 2011 all over again.
    2011 they were under .500 after June. They were never more than 6 games over the whole year....after that hot six, or seven and 0 start.

Turn Off Ads?