Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So how about that Yasiel Puig?

Re: So how about that Yasiel Puig?

The Braves just intentionally walked Puig with a runner on 3rd, wonder how often that happens to a guy after just a few games in the MLB.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wonder if Puig knew who Mark Mcgwire was prior to signing with LA

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    I wonder if Puig knew who Mark Mcgwire was prior to signing with LA
    Only after he read the "Gingers in the Majors" thread. He's a lurker.

5. Likes:

RedEye (06-12-2013),Tom Servo (06-12-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Was OPSing around 1.000 as a 21 year old in the minors. As a 22 year old with 34 at-bats in the majors, he's OPSing 1.382. Easily the best prospect in baseball.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 06-12-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Was OPSing around 1.000 as a 21 year old in the minors. As a 22 year old with 34 at-bats in the majors, he's OPSing 1.382. Easily the best prospect in baseball.
    No he isn't.

His OPS last year in the minors is not even worth quoting. He got 82 at bats with half of them coming in rookie ball.

He was a top end prospect, but there are quite a few guys that would be taken ahead of him in a "prospect draft" if we could magically make one happen.

8. Likes:

RedEye (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No he isn't.

His OPS last year in the minors is not even worth quoting. He got 82 at bats with half of them coming in rookie ball.

He was a top end prospect, but there are quite a few guys that would be taken ahead of him in a "prospect draft" if we could magically make one happen.
    So says you.

Factually, he's had 229 at-bats between high A and AA ball, OPSing around 1.000 in each.

Kicking butt over all prospects as he's bolted to the majors not missing a beat.

Production over potential.

Zach Stewart says hi.

So says you.

Factually, he's had 229 at-bats between high A and AA ball, OPSing around 1.000 in each.

Kicking butt over all prospects as he's bolted to the majors not missing a beat.

Zach Stewart says hi.
    I disagree with you, though he has been amazing.

Your Zach Stewart reference left a bad taste in my mouth I might add. Spare me your reasoning.

So says you.

Zach Stewart says hi.
    Kicking butt over all prospects? Seriously? Surely you know too that minor league production does not translate evenly to major league production. And that 229 AB's spread over several levels does not a reliable sample make?

And really, the Zach Stewart references need to stop. You are single-handedly reviving that dead horse every few posts it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Kicking butt over all prospects? Seriously? Surely you know too that minor league production does not translate evenly to major league production. And that 229 AB's spread over several levels does not a reliable sample make?

And really, the Zach Stewart references need to stop. You are single-handedly reviving that dead horse every few posts it seems.
    As politely as I can say this......I'm not looking to argue.

Doug was very insulting to me. Not to mention condescending and arrogant. He speaks as if his opinion is the final and only word that matters with total disrespect to my opinion or others. Hence the need to reference Zach Stewart which points out that he can be wrong too, even though he won't admit it.

He could have simply said, "I disagree and here's why". But he responded more like "you're completely wrong and I'm completely right".

Changing subjects.........let's take your quote "Surely you know too that minor league production does not translate evenly to major league production." Remember that when speaking about Profar.

I'm trying to be polite in the midst of alot of aggressive responses.

It would be nice if we could all respect eachother's opinions and agree to disagree.

They call me "chef"

I want to know if he will walk more than once every 35 at bats.

14. Likes:

RedEye (06-13-2013)

As politely as I can say this......I'm not looking to argue.

Doug was very insulting to me. Not to mention condescending and arrogant. He speaks as if his opinion is the final and only word that matters with total disrespect to my opinion or others. Hence the need to reference Zach Stewart which points out that he can be wrong too, even though he won't admit it.

He could have simply said, "I disagree and here's why". But he responded more like "you're completely wrong and I'm completely right".

Changing subjects.........let's take your quote "Surely you know too that minor league production does not translate evenly to major league production." Remember that when speaking about Profar.

I'm trying to be polite in the midst of alot of aggressive responses.

It would be nice if we could all respect eachother's opinions and agree to disagree.
    If I make a declarative remark saying something like "Brandon Phillips is the best player in baseball" and someone responds "No he's not", its not condescending, it's correct.

16. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (06-13-2013),RedEye (06-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If I make a declarative remark saying something like "Brandon Phillips is the best player in baseball" and someone responds "No he's not", its not condescending, it's correct.
    Comparing opinions about long established major leaguers vs. opinions on short track record prospects are apples and oranges. Bad example.

Comparing opinions about long established major leaguers vs. opinions on short track record prospects are apples and oranges. Bad example.
    Your exact quote about Puig that Doug responded to:

Easily the best prospect in baseball.
    Not exactly a nuanced, hedging-your-bets kinda claim, is it? Doug responded in the same tone:

No he isn't.
    Nothing condescending about a response that matches your own. If you can't take it, don't dish it.

Never once have I said Profar would be a guaranteed success. What I have claimed is that based on the data and evidence we have about him, he is a rare talent for his age and position. Go ahead and try to find a list of SS who have put up an OPS of .800 at AAA at the age of 19 with plus defense. I'm sure it isn't a long one. And based on projections that we have, I am also confident that 6 years of Profar is worth far more than 1.5 years of Homer Bailey. That's a trade I make 8 days a week.

As a 22 year old with 34 at-bats in the majors, he's OPSing 1.382.
    You understand 34 at bats is nothing, right?

This is the equivolent of saying in 1982 Dexi's Midnight Runners was going to be the best band of the 80s because of the overnight success of "Come on Eileen."

21. Likes:

RedEye (06-13-2013),TRF (06-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?