Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite franchise burger?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • In&Out Double Cheese Burger

14 17.72%
  • Steak and Shake Steak Burger

3 3.80%
  • Big Mac

1 1.27%
  • Wendy's Classic Single

5 6.33%
  • Whopper/Double Whopper

2 2.53%
  • White Castle Mini Burger

2 2.53%
  • JackNThe Box Grilled Sourdough Burger

3 3.80%
  • Rally Burger

2 2.53%
  • 5 Guys Cheese Burger

28 35.44%
  • Hardees Thick Burger

3 3.80%
  • Quarter Pounder W Cheese/Double Quarter Pounder

0 0%
  • Sonic double bacon cheese burger

1 1.27%
  • What-A Burger

4 5.06%
  • Red Robin Build-A Burger

9 11.39%
  • Fudruckers Bacon Double Stack Cheese Burger

2 2.53%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best Burger

Re: Best Burger

I remember about 15 to 20 years ago, McDonalds occasionally ran a special 39 cent cheeseburgers or 29 cent hamburgers. 10 hamburgers for $2.90! The cheeseburgers gave me heartburn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I remember about 15 to 20 years ago, McDonalds occasionally ran a special 39 cent cheeseburgers or 29 cent hamburgers. 10 hamburgers for $2.90! The cheeseburgers gave me heartburn.
    The 90s were a hell of a time
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Meh, give me raw onions and pickles for the texture--there's already plenty of soft stuff on the burger...
    I guess I'm just not a texture guy. I don't get lettuce, don't need anything crunchy.

Thing is that grilling onions totally changes the taste of them for the better, the much, much better.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Meh, give me raw onions and pickles for the texture--there's already plenty of soft stuff on the burger...
    Love the taste of raw onion on my burger.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I guess I'm just not a texture guy. I don't get lettuce, don't need anything crunchy.

Thing is that grilling onions totally changes the taste of them for the better, the much, much better.
    Love the taste of grilled onion and shrooms on my steak.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

8. Likes:

Chip R (08-06-2013), Rojo (08-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    In my high school/pot smoking years (late 70's), we would end our Friday nights by hitting up the local White Castle around 3:00AM. Three or four of us in the car would buy 30 or 40 burgers at fifty cents each and devour them in minutes. Good times.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

How many places can you get a "burger meal" (which I'll assume includes drink and fries) for $5-$7? Frische's is about as anti-hipster as you can get. Actually, now that I think about it, its so anti-hipster and its probably considered hipster, but non the less, I doubt you can get a big boy, fries and drink for much less than $7 if that.

Me thinks you've got to change your standards. A burger that runs over $10 may be considered hipster, but the ingrediants are probably much more telling.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    How many places can you get a "burger meal" (which I'll assume includes drink and fries) for $5-$7? Frische's is about as anti-hipster as you can get. Actually, now that I think about it, its so anti-hipster and its probably considered hipster, but non the less, I doubt you can get a big boy, fries and drink for much less than $7 if that.

Me thinks you've got to change your standards. A burger that runs over $10 may be considered hipster, but the ingrediants are probably much more telling.
    Yeah, a Big Boy meal costs a bit more than $7 but it's a sit down restaurant, so for under $10 it's still a good deal.

As for the quality of the burger, that's my point. It's a burger. It's supposed to be a cheap, greasy, fast meal. If I want to spend more than $10 for lunch, I get a real meal. I just never got the concept of taking an affordable staple and turning it into something gourmet and expensive. I have actually seen places that serve $7, homemade Twinkees. Craziness.

I went there last night. Drive through, #2, Big Boy, fries and a drink. It was 5.69.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I went there last night. Drive through, #2, Big Boy, fries and a drink. It was 5.69.
    thanks for the info, glad to know Friche's hasn't crossed into hipster territory yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JayStubbs View Post
    Yeah, a Big Boy meal costs a bit more than $7 but it's a sit down restaurant, so for under $10 it's still a good deal.

As for the quality of the burger, that's my point. It's a burger. It's supposed to be a cheap, greasy, fast meal. If I want to spend more than $10 for lunch, I get a real meal. I just never got the concept of taking an affordable staple and turning it into something gourmet and expensive. I have actually seen places that serve $7, homemade Twinkees. Craziness.
    Seems like an unreasonable standard. I'll never be confused w/ a hipster (at least I don't think I ever will be), but I get the concept of taking something simple, easy and cheap and upgrading it with better toppings.

I'll take pizza for example, I enjoy a nice simple pepperoni pie, but throw on some chicken, BBQ sauce or buffalo sauce, multiple kinds of cheese, etc... and I'll take that option over a plain pepperoni most every day. I'm going to pay more, but the later will taste better, all else being equal. Same thing with burgers, patty, mustard, pickle, onion and bun are all good. however, swap out the mustard for some A1 sauce, add on some onion rings or bacon (or both) perhaps some blue cheese, etc.. and I've got a better tasting option.

I don't need wheat germ or alpha sprouts on my burger, but take simple items, add them to a simple burger, give me a quality bun and now we're talking.

Seems like an unreasonable standard. I'll never be confused w/ a hipster (at least I don't think I ever will be), but I get the concept of taking something simple, easy and cheap and upgrading it with better toppings.

I'm all for innovation and upgrades. But I wish people would just work on making something better rather than substituting with high-brow ingredients.

There's a foodie hot dog place in SF. I got a corn-dog which was all foody-fied, and terrible. How about just working on making the best dang corn-dog ever?

OTOH, the Mexicans outside of bars with the bacon-wrapped dogs. That's innovation.

Last edited by Rojo; 08-06-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-08-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Isn't the real "hipster" move being the guy who says he doesn't want all the crazy stuff on his burger and claiming that all these attempts to class-up a burger miss what it really means to eat a burger?
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Isn't the real "hipster" move being the guy who says he doesn't want all the crazy stuff on his burger and claiming that all these attempts to class-up a burger miss what it really means to eat a burger?
    Only if he is wearing black framed glasses that he doesn't need, a scarf, knitted hat and he says it on his iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    No. The real hipster move is worrying about being a hipster.

Turn Off Ads?