Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pirates promote Gerrit Cole; starts Tuesday

Pirates promote Gerrit Cole; starts Tuesday

Cole will start Tuesday vs. the Giants.

His last two starts have been good, but the ball is still getting put in play against him. Only 47 K in 68 IP this year in AAA. His walks have gone down, but I could see him running up high pitch counts early.

He was discussed in the "Are the Pirates for real" thread. I mentioned his control was poor this year...I guess we'll see.

This could be a big boost for the Pirates, or the start of their demise. A lot riding on his arm.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=543037

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Pirates promote Gerrit Cole; starts Tuesday

You had to figure this would happen sometime soon. Cole is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    You had to figure this would happen sometime soon. Cole is legit.
    I'm honestly not on him yet. Still has a lot of refinement. Maybe he was bored at AAA, I don't know. But his number are not good at AAA. 28 bb and 47 k in 68 innings is not a recipe for success. His stuff is definitely good, and it shows that guys aren't getting hits off him.

But big league hitters won't let him get away with wildness. It will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I'm honestly not on him yet. Still has a lot of refinement. Maybe he was bored at AAA, I don't know. But his number are not good at AAA. 28 bb and 47 k in 68 innings is not a recipe for success. His stuff is definitely good, and it shows that guys aren't getting hits off him.

But big league hitters won't let him get away with wildness. It will be interesting.
    Reminds of Homer's promotion. The ERA and name probably has the fans clamoring for him, but I don't see it going particularly well unless Cole picks up his game.

6. Likes:

marcshoe (06-08-2013),remdog (06-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Reminds of Homer's promotion. The ERA and name probably has the fans clamoring for him, but I don't see it going particularly well unless Cole picks up his game.
    I actually thought the same thing. Homer's numbers weren't begging for a promotion, but I think we were looking for a bit of a boost or some energy. Feel they may be thinking the same. Unfortunately for them, their offense is the real problem, and they don't have anyone to boost that unless they feel Tony Sanchez is ready. But he's only had a couple good months at AAA.

Big deal. We've got Curtis Partch!
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Good comparison, I think. IIRC, Homer's stats were pretty similar to Cole's.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?