Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you have had Leake bunt in the 3rd today?

Re: Would you have had Leake bunt in the 3rd today?

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Ned Yost of the Royals just has his baseball analytics team devise the best lineups for him to use, and that is what he is doing now. Of course, they don't have many great hitters, but I'm sure the best lineup would not put the lowest OBP and OPS in the two hole (Hosmer is batting 2nd). It is just silly that Cozart is batting 2nd, and frankly it is infuriating. I still can't get over it, especially in situations like last night with two men on, we could have a competent hitter up to bat in the two hole. But no.

*As a side note, I'm a big fan of Cozart, especially defensively. He's just not cutting it on offense. Has anyone asked Dusty why he continues to bat the guy who makes the most outs 2nd?
    I think a writer asked Dusty one day this past week, and Dusty got pissed and said something snippy like "Maybe I should have you come down and run things." I understand it gets frustrating having people question your moves, but that's the life of a big league manager. Dusty needs thicker skin, and you'd think someone who has been managing as long as he has would have learned that.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Likes:

RedEye (06-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Do any managers hit their best hitter, one of the best hitters in baseball, in the 2 hole?
    1) While this argument is fine if you're trying to protect Dusty from criticism, it does nothing to affect the actual logic.

2) I would be happy with any other Reds position player not named Zack Cozart batting 2nd.

3) Yes. A number of managers bat their best hitter 2nd. The Cardinals bat Carlos Beltran 2nd. The Yankees bat Cano 2nd. The Orioles bat Machado 2nd. The Jays bat Jose Bautista 2nd. The Twins bat Joey Mauer 2nd. The Braves bat Jason Heyward 2nd. The Nationals bat Jayson Werth 2nd. The Brewers bat Jean Segura 2nd.

While not all of those guys those guys have torn the cover off the ball this year, all are expected to be one of the 2 or 3 best hitters on the team, some obviously the best and a few among the best hitters in the game.

It is not at all uncommon for managers to bat their best, or at least one of their best hitters 2nd. It is relatively uncommon to bat their worst hitter 2nd. When faced with the choice of moving somebody to bat 2nd besides his #1 choice (Phillips), he went with the worst possible option. Forgive me for citing that as a problem.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

5. Likes:

RedEye (06-08-2013),Tom Servo (06-08-2013)

Derrick Robinson batting 2nd tonight...Cozart 8th.

ARod hit second for the Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    ARod hit second for the Mariners.
    Yeah, but that was only because he was a SS. I kid.

Turn Off Ads?