Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Official 2013 MLB Day 3 Draft Thread

Re: Official 2013 MLB Day 3 Draft Thread

The Oakland A's drafted a player then said can we change our minds. The official said sure and the new player was picked.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Alec Byrd, St Thomas Aquinas HS (FL) LHP L/L HS 6'03" 175lbs DOB: 03/31/95 | Scouting video

Dan Grauer, Liberty U (VA) RHP R/R JR 6'04" 230lbs DOB: 08/07/92

Manny Cruz, Wolcott HS (CT) SS R/R HS 5'11" 170lbs DOB: 08/29/95

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Zack Collins, American Heritage School (FL) C L/R HS 6'02" 210lbs DOB: 02/06/95 | Scouting video
    That's right, another high school catcher to consider -- this one from the same Florida high school that produced Eric Hosmer, among others. Collins' bat is ahead of his glove, and it's sure to get him plenty of attention in the spring. He has a pure stroke and a professional approach at the plate, giving him a chance to hit for average and power at the next level. The jury is still out about Colllins' defensive ability behind the plate, with some unsure if he can stay back there. He does have some skills as a backstop, showing some agility with his strong, powerful frame. It might behoove a team drafting Collins to send him out as a catcher, knowing the bat will likely play elsewhere if it doesn't work out.
    Doesn't sound like he's going to sign.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...-draft-catcher

The Reds 40th round pick is:

P.J. Cerreto, Ramapo Col (NJ) RHP R/R SR 6'03" 230lbs DOB: 03/18/91

Matt Blandino, Wolcott HS (CT) RHP R/R HS 6'01" 180lbs DOB: 07/30/95
    Blandino is actually from Bristol Central HS, and I've seen him pitch a lot over the last four years. His stats this year were ridiculous: in 77 IP, he had an ERA of 0.27, with 135 and 9 BB, while allowing only 28 H. He consistently threw 89-90 MPH, and I've seen him hit 92 MPH multiple times in a game. He can throw his curveball for a strike early in the count, or out of the zone when he's ahead; nobody squares the pitch up. He'll use a change as an out pitch to lefties, but he hasn't needed it against most teams. He's even flashed a cutter some games. He's from the same conference as Sal Romano. Blandino has better command and better secondary pitches that Romano did, but Romano had just a little more velocity and better size.

UConn, St. John's, and Boston College were all rumored to be interested, but he accepted a full scholarship to Central Connecticut. Since he has a full ride, I have no idea what he'll do, but I think he has the potential to be a steal as a 33rd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Benintendi is legit, and local, Gatorade Ohio POY
    Supposedly really wanted the Reds too, and willing to sign for less than for anyone else, but still has a high price tag, and looks to be at Arkansas.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Benintendi is legit, and local, Gatorade Ohio POY
    I'm surprised he went as late as he did. I thought he was the best local prep player in a long time? Is it signability reasons?
    Go BLUE!!!

Is it signability reasons?
    No doubt.

The Reds will end up throwing above slot $ at several kids and see who bites. They won't get all of Abreu/Freeland/Morales/Collins/Benintendi. As Benihana says, if they get a couple, that's probably good.

The Reds 40th round pick is:

P.J. Cerreto, Ramapo Col (NJ) RHP R/R SR 6'03" 230lbs DOB: 03/18/91
    Ramapo College (NJ) Pitcher Drafted by Cincinnati Reds

A former Ramapo College star baseball player has been drafted to the major leagues.

A right-handed pitcher, Cerreto finished his senior season with a 2-1 record on the mound. He recorded a 2.72 ERA in six appearances, and 60 strikeouts in 39.2 innings pitched, the release said.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

The Reds had an interesting day three. If they can reel a fair number of the HS arms they drafted, particularly Brett Morales, I think they picked a crew of players they can really mold. This strikes me as the kind of draft you conduct when you really like your instructional system.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

New Fever (06-10-2013)

Sickels did a Shadow Draft picking for the Twins (4th in every round) and took 2 Reds: Ben Lively and Layne Somsen.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...-twins-sickels
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?