Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Was the drafting of Ervin to make Hamilton more available to trade?

Was the drafting of Ervin to make Hamilton more available to trade?

I know this seems like a Minor League Forum question, but, I believe this affects the big club.

Right now the Reds are in a spot where in 30 to 45 days they will need to make some roster moves via trade. Bullpen amazingly enough will be high on that list. Possibly a LF candidate (If the 3 headed monster of Paul/Robinson/Heisey doesn't work out between now and then) and some IF bats for the bench.

The team has holes, but, the Minor league system is really thin on help, or attractive prospects to other teams. (Stephenson/Winker (who is the next Votto like bat) are untouchable IMO) It looks like it will be a buyers market this year with so many high payroll teams struggling and mid market teams that went for it and falling short.

This is where I see alternative motives.

Drafting Ervin fills a slot that we've pegged for Hamilton for the next 10 years. Ervin has a advanced bat that could see time in Cincy by 2015 if all is as advertised. Hamilton despite his struggles is a top 50 prospect still in Baseball, but still, the Reds are high on Choo and Choo the Reds. It sounds like there is a mutual interest to get the deal done. So there is no room for Hamilton with a returning outfield of Ludwick, Choo and Bruce. (But a spot opening up for Ervin in 2015 with the expiring contract of Ludwick)

This in my eyes (Drafting Ervin) was a way to make a very valuable piece available to compete with the deeper farm systems they will be going up against in bidding for the parts they're gonna need to continue to keep up.

What do you say? Would moving Hamilton now upset you as much as it would have a week ago if it helps the Big Club get to the Playoffs?
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Was the drafting of Ervin to make Hamilton more available to trade?

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

4. Likes:

LaFlamaBlanca (06-09-2013), LexRedsFan (06-09-2013), Tom Servo (06-09-2013)

No, it was to stockpile cheap talent to counter balance the effect Votto's contract will have on the payroll in five years.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Right now the Reds are in a spot where in 30 to 45 days they will need to make some roster moves via trade.
    Why is this? I'm not seeing it.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I know this seems like a Minor League Forum question, but, I believe this affects the big club.

Right now the Reds are in a spot where in 30 to 45 days they will need to make some roster moves via trade. Bullpen amazingly enough will be high on that list. Possibly a LF candidate (If the 3 headed monster of Paul/Robinson/Heisey doesn't work out between now and then) and some IF bats for the bench.

The team has holes, but, the Minor league system is really thin on help, or attractive prospects to other teams. (Stephenson/Winker (who is the next Votto like bat) are untouchable IMO) It looks like it will be a buyers market this year with so many high payroll teams struggling and mid market teams that went for it and falling short.

This is where I see alternative motives.

Drafting Ervin fills a slot that we've pegged for Hamilton for the next 10 years. Ervin has a advanced bat that could see time in Cincy by 2015 if all is as advertised. Hamilton despite his struggles is a top 50 prospect still in Baseball, but still, the Reds are high on Choo and Choo the Reds. It sounds like there is a mutual interest to get the deal done. So there is no room for Hamilton with a returning outfield of Ludwick, Choo and Bruce. (But a spot opening up for Ervin in 2015 with the expiring contract of Ludwick)

This in my eyes (Drafting Ervin) was a way to make a very valuable piece available to compete with the deeper farm systems they will be going up against in bidding for the parts they're gonna need to continue to keep up.

What do you say? Would moving Hamilton now upset you as much as it would have a week ago if it helps the Big Club get to the Playoffs?
    Where did you hear there was mutual interest in signing Choo, and getting a deal done from both sides?

Digressing, I ran a bunch of errands most of yesterday and caught some of Ken Broo on the pregame. I eventually had to turn the channel because of all of his gushing over the Cardinals team, farm system, organization, etc. I mean.......I don't want anyone to sugarcoat things......sure, tell it like it is. But he went on and on and on.........it got old. Mentioning how everyone they bring up doesn't miss a beat. And how great their farm system is right now. Got me depressed since the Reds farm system kind of sucks right now. (Just kidding about the depressed part)

Anyway, it sure seems like the Reds are spending alot of money. And most of these guys (Votto, BP, Choo (if signed)) are in the 30's or near there. It would seem at some point we start to unload some players to acquire some younger talent.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I don't think any well run organization drafts players based on the current major league club. The really good ones will draft the best available player without regard to position in most instances. Remember a few years ago when we drafted Mes and Grandal with first round picks. It worked out because we eventually traded one for something else we needed. It could work that way here again, but I don't think we took one based on what we do have in Cincinnati currently. These guys are all typically a couple seasons away and the big league team could look drastically different.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

9. Likes:

Big Klu (06-09-2013), RedlegJake (06-09-2013)

Nope, best player available.

11. Likes:

Big Klu (06-09-2013), RedEye (06-10-2013)

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Where did you hear there was mutual interest in signing Choo, and getting a deal done from both sides?

Digressing, I ran a bunch of errands most of yesterday and caught some of Ken Broo on the pregame. I eventually had to turn the channel because of all of his gushing over the Cardinals team, farm system, organization, etc. I mean.......I don't want anyone to sugarcoat things......sure, tell it like it is. But he went on and on and on.........it got old. Mentioning how everyone they bring up doesn't miss a beat. And how great their farm system is right now. Got me depressed since the Reds farm system kind of sucks right now. (Just kidding about the depressed part)

Anyway, it sure seems like the Reds are spending alot of money. And most of these guys (Votto, BP, Choo (if signed)) are in the 30's or near there. It would seem at some point we start to unload some players to acquire some younger talent.
    That's great news that everyone is fawning over the "Cardinals Way." Sort of like "Bleeding Dodger Blue." That is usually doom for an organization. Remember when the Cubs were flush? The Astros? They were going to win forever. Whatever it is, the baseball "model organization" has a short shelf life. I guess its probably the law of competition.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Why is this? I'm not seeing it.
    I think with Marshall and Ludwick out (and maybe even Cueto), the Reds are going to have to make some hard decisions by the trading deadline as to how badly they want to go for it this year. They've been getting by so far, but I've been holding my breath.

Pay attention to the open sky

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think with Marshall and Ludwick out (and maybe even Cueto), the Reds are going to have to make some hard decisions by the trading deadline as to how badly they want to go for it this year. They've been getting by so far, but I've been holding my breath.
    Why would they not go for it if they are still in position to do so?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I can almost guarantee he was the best guy available. You basically never draft because of what's going on with your major league team. Way too much unpredictability.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

16. Likes:

RedEye (06-10-2013)

I thought Ervin could very well play any OF position, and is 3-5 years away?

Not sure why/how that would affect Hamilton, and I cannot see them re-signing Choo unless it's a short-term deal to play LF for a year or two...but some team will likely throw the bank at him in a bigger market regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Couldn't we say the same thing for the Cardinals with Carpenter, Garcia, Furcal, and Westbrook out? I don't see either team giving up on the year. As long as the Reds only have Choo signed through this year I imagine they'll be going for it.

Turn Off Ads?