Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncle Part II: Stop the Madness in CF

Uncle Part II: Stop the Madness in CF

This idea that Shin Shoo Choo is going to magically "learn" to play CF and go from being a downright awful defensive CFer to adequate is never going to happen.

I had no problem with sacrificing whatever defense it took to play Choo in CF with Ludwick playing in LF. I wanted the Reds to do it at the deadline last year and I was all for it again in the offseason.

However, Ludwick isn't here anymore. He himself said he won't be back until the middle of August at the earliest. Am I supposed to believe a 34 year old is going to come off a major shoulder injury and step into a pennant race and be a productive player? No.

Choo isn't going to magically learn CF. He's bad out there, and he is going to continue to be bad out there. To have Robinson in LF, who by all accounts is a good defensive OFer, and Choo in CF is simply insane. There is no reason for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-10-2013),DocRed (06-09-2013),wlf WV (06-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Uncle Part II: Stop the Madness in CF

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    This idea that Shin Shoo Choo is going to magically "learn" to play CF and go from being a downright awful defensive CFer to adequate is never going to happen.

I had no problem with sacrificing whatever defense it took to play Choo in CF with Ludwick playing in LF. I wanted the Reds to do it at the deadline last year and I was all for it again in the offseason.

However, Ludwick isn't here anymore. He himself said he won't be back until the middle of August at the earliest. Am I supposed to believe a 34 year old is going to come off a major shoulder injury and step into a pennant race and be a productive player? No.

Choo isn't going to magically learn CF. He's bad out there, and he is going to continue to be bad out there. To have Robinson in LF, who by all accounts is a good defensive OFer, and Choo in CF is simply insane. There is no reason for it.
    Obviously you are 110% correct. Managers are by the book though. Choo was here to be a centerfielder and that's what he is going to be by god.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

He's just not fast enough for starters....but ya it feels like someone just doesn't want to be proven wrong, whether that be Dusty or Walt.

Absolutely agree. I would be all aboard with an X-Man, Heisey, Robinson trifecta platoon. Then again, I'd also like to see Votto batting second...

I don't think it's so much admitting they were wrong as it is them seeing it as "disrespect" to Choo to move him, same type of thinking that kept JR in CF for too long.
    Go Gators!

8. Likes:

Blimpie (06-11-2013),marcshoe (06-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I don't think it's so much admitting they were wrong as it is them seeing it as "disrespect" to Choo to move him, same type of thinking that kept JR in CF for too long.
    Possibly, but I've seen Choo interviewed about it when he got here and he didn't exactly sound thrilled to be moving to CF.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Yeah, I would agree with doc in this case. It certainly isn't because Dustys being loyal to Choo. Robinson belongs in center when he plays. I especially like Robinson center whrn Arroyo and Leake are pitching. Heisey can also play there when he comes back. Paul has no business in center though. His left-field in my opinion is a little shaky.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

You saw that play by Robinson in LF, right? Mistimed his jump and then he wants to try and run down a runner on base by running in from left field.

Yeah, let's try that guy in CF.

12. Likes:

RadfordVA (06-10-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I want to agree, but Ludwick probably will be back at some point, even if its late. At that point, what do you do, continue to play Paul/Robinson over Ludwick? Also playing Choo in LF kind of forces your hand to make Robinson an everyday guy and takes Paul out of the equation.

CF is the least important problem the team needs to deal with

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Yeah, I would agree with doc in this case. It certainly isn't because Dustys being loyal to Choo. Robinson belongs in center when he plays. I especially like Robinson center whrn Arroyo and Leake are pitching. Heisey can also play there when he comes back. Paul has no business in center though. His left-field in my opinion is a little shaky.
    I agree with you. Heisey and Robinson need to be in center. I think Paul really has no business being in the field unless its an absolute emergency. His D looks awful. Use him as a pinch hitter and forget it. The owe more to winning than they do to players. Put the best possible lineup out on the field, and that is one without choo in center. I was thinking let him stst there until the deadline to see what kind of piece Walt coukd pick up, but winning is more important. And while I'm at it the best lineup is one with mesoraco catching. The 6-9 spots in the lineup are Not too hot. Mez brings a little plate discipline and pop. Frazier, cozart, hanigan, and the pitcher make for some easy outs at the end of the order.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 06-10-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

How about the bullpen pitch better? The offense not blow so many scoring opportunities?

That would solve a lot of issues.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-10-2013 at 06:32 AM.

17. Likes:

CySeymour (06-10-2013),HeatherC1212 (06-10-2013)

It's a good point, especially if they feel Ludwick will not be here for the rest of the season.

Xavier Paul is going to get the majority of PT to go with Bruce and Choo. He's the worst option of all for CF. That would mean moving Choo back and forth when others play and While I could see that as OK, I think I'd just sit Choo againt LHP (.157/.322/.186/.508) when Heisey returns. Choo in CF and Paul in LF against RHP, Robinson/Heisey against LHP.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-10-2013),smixsell (06-12-2013),TOBTTReds (06-10-2013)

CF is the last thing we should be worrying about

Turn Off Ads?