Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 69

Thread: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

  1. #46
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,491

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Wow, I'm stumped over the wasted energy in this thread. Chad is a complete zero of a human. Seems to me that there has to be a better cause to get salty about than this fool spending a few days in the clink.
    My issue is more with the fact that judges can do things like that than with the person it happened to.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    721

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My issue is more with the fact that judges can do things like that than with the person it happened to.
    I understand and I agree with you in principle. I just chalk this one up to justice was served (kinda, I guess, 30 days isn't enough) and not worry about how we got there.

    I'll save my protest for a cause where the outcome wasn't such a good one.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

  4. #48
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,370

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Don't end up in court then you don't have to worry about the perceived whims of a judge [who was completely within their rights by the by]. To much hate for the judicial system and not enough for the people who warrant its existence.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  5. Likes:

    jimbo (06-17-2013), Revering4Blue (06-16-2013)

  6. #49
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,491

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Don't end up in court then you don't have to worry about the perceived whims of a judge [who was completely within their rights by the by]. To much hate for the judicial system and not enough for the people who warrant its existence.
    The judge shouldn't have those rights though. That is the problem. I don't hate the judicial system (well, parts of it..... frivilous lawsuits that still get through being a big example). I hate that someone can get their feelings hurt and decide to change a plea deal over it that they had previously agreed to.

  7. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No. He was in trouble with the law because he is a piece of crap who hit a woman. He is in jail because he slapped his lawyer on the butt.
    You just don't get it. People get sentences like this all the time for disrupting the courtroom, disrespecting the judge, etc. That's what Chad did. It's not like there's a law against smacking your lawyer's butt. However there is definitely a precedent for getting jail time for disrespectful behavior in the courtroom. You're over-thinking this, bigtime.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  8. Likes:

    jimbo (06-17-2013), Revering4Blue (06-16-2013)

  9. #51
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The judge shouldn't have those rights though. That is the problem. I don't hate the judicial system (well, parts of it..... frivilous lawsuits that still get through being a big example). I hate that someone can get their feelings hurt and decide to change a plea deal over it that they had previously agreed to.
    A judge has to agree to a plea deal to begin with. The judge is in charge of the sentencing. They don't officially get sentenced until the very hearing Chad was at. A judge can, and should, have to the right to reevaluate their intended sentence until the time they hand it down based on new information about the defendant.

    And this whole "because her feelings were hurt" is your own speculation. It's your opinion based on....well, nothing really. Does she have a precedent of this? Do you know anything else about her other than what she did in this case? I don't know why you'd automatically assume it had to do with her ego.

    Here you had a flashy professional athlete who hit a woman. This is a very serious charge. He got a fancy lawyer who got him a plea deal. He shows up in court looking like he didn't care. Then he makes a joke out of a serious question a judge asked him in a very serious criminal proceeding. Her perception was that this was a guy who was not taking this whole thing seriously and needs to understand how serious this really is. It's not like she sentenced him to multiple years in a max security prison. The more I think about it, the more I think she did the right thing. Guys like Chad Johnson need to know they have to follow the same rules everyone else does. You can't go making a mockery of the criminal justice system like he was doing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  10. Likes:

    jimbo (06-17-2013), Joseph (06-16-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (06-17-2013), Revering4Blue (06-17-2013), RichRed (06-17-2013), SunDeck (06-16-2013)

  11. #52
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,692

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    You just don't get it. People get sentences like this all the time for disrupting the courtroom, disrespecting the judge, etc. That's what Chad did. It's not like there's a law against smacking your lawyer's butt. However there is definitely a precedent for getting jail time for disrespectful behavior in the courtroom. You're over-thinking this, bigtime.
    No, that is what I said earlier and is exactly the point that Doug is making - that it is BS that that's a thing.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  12. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    No, that is what I said earlier and is exactly the point that Doug is making - that it is BS that that's a thing.
    It might be BS to you, but to me it's showing disrespect for the situation you're in. This is how courtrooms all over the country are ran and I don't have an issue with it at all. Chad got exactly what he deserved.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  13. #54
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,567

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Actually Chad head butting a woman is old news at this point. The reason he was back in court was because he was blowing off the meetings with his probation officer; not because he hit another woman. So according to this judge, he deserves more jailtime for a slap on the butt than he does hitting a woman. For those of you who have an issue with what he did to his ex, think about it in those terms and tell me what you think of the judge's priorities.

  14. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Actually Chad head butting a woman is old news at this point. The reason he was back in court was because he was blowing off the meetings with his probation officer; not because he hit another woman. So according to this judge, he deserves more jail time for a slap on the butt than he does hitting a woman. For those of you who have an issue with what he did to his ex, think about it in those terms and tell me what you think of the judge's priorities.
    Big difference. His money likely got him probation on the domestic abuse charges. No amount of money can save you if the judge decides to give you some jail time for disrespecting her in her courtroom. There's no plea bargaining that decision.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  15. #56
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,491

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    It might be BS to you, but to me it's showing disrespect for the situation you're in. This is how courtrooms all over the country are ran and I don't have an issue with it at all. Chad got exactly what he deserved.
    So athletes all over the world should be given jail time? They all slap each other on the butt.

    I still don't get how disrespect deserves jail time unless that disrespect comes along with someone else, such as physical or a threat of physical violence.

    I guess that is where we differ. Disrespect isn't against the law. Send people to jail for breaking the law, not for being disrespectful to someone, regardless of who that someone is.

  16. #57
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,491

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    No amount of money can save you if the judge decides to give you some jail time for disrespecting her in her courtroom. There's no plea bargaining that decision.
    Money, nor disrespect should ever come into play in a court room aside from the value of the defense that your money can buy you.

    Explain to me how being disrespectful to someone, anyone, that isn't also involving a physical threat should warrant jail time. It simply doesn't make sense.

  17. #58
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,567

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Big difference. His money likely got him probation on the domestic abuse charges. No amount of money can save you if the judge decides to give you some jail time for disrespecting her in her courtroom. There's no plea bargaining that decision.
    Money hasn't changed from the beginning to now. Neither has the judge. The only difference is the sentence. Lester Munson gets it. This is a short column and here's his last paragraph:

    C'mon, judge. Johnson will be in jail Monday night. That's enough. If you let him out on Tuesday, you will have made your point. If you keep him in the Broward County Jail for 30 days, you will always be the judge who could not distinguish between a vicious head-butt and a triumphant slap on the fanny.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...pping-incident

  18. #59
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Doug, you keep making this disrespect in a way that it's impossible to counter because you act like it happened in a vacuum with no context. Of course no one should be thrown in jail for disrespect. And you are the one positioning it as disrespect. I definitely don't see it that way. I see it as someone who committed a serious offense and thought he could buy his way out of it and not take it seriously. The judge was responding to that more than any perceived personal slight to her individual ego. I think that's a much more likely scenario than the one you're putting forth of hurt feelings at lack of respect for her personally.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  19. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,085

    Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

    Chad is free!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25