Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Wow, I'm stumped over the wasted energy in this thread. Chad is a complete zero of a human. Seems to me that there has to be a better cause to get salty about than this fool spending a few days in the clink.
    My issue is more with the fact that judges can do things like that than with the person it happened to.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My issue is more with the fact that judges can do things like that than with the person it happened to.
    I understand and I agree with you in principle. I just chalk this one up to justice was served (kinda, I guess, 30 days isn't enough) and not worry about how we got there.

I'll save my protest for a cause where the outcome wasn't such a good one.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Don't end up in court then you don't have to worry about the perceived whims of a judge [who was completely within their rights by the by]. To much hate for the judicial system and not enough for the people who warrant its existence.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

5. Likes:

jimbo (06-17-2013),Revering4Blue (06-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Don't end up in court then you don't have to worry about the perceived whims of a judge [who was completely within their rights by the by]. To much hate for the judicial system and not enough for the people who warrant its existence.
    The judge shouldn't have those rights though. That is the problem. I don't hate the judicial system (well, parts of it..... frivilous lawsuits that still get through being a big example). I hate that someone can get their feelings hurt and decide to change a plea deal over it that they had previously agreed to.

No. He was in trouble with the law because he is a piece of crap who hit a woman. He is in jail because he slapped his lawyer on the butt.
    You just don't get it. People get sentences like this all the time for disrupting the courtroom, disrespecting the judge, etc. That's what Chad did. It's not like there's a law against smacking your lawyer's butt. However there is definitely a precedent for getting jail time for disrespectful behavior in the courtroom. You're over-thinking this, bigtime.

8. Likes:

jimbo (06-17-2013),Revering4Blue (06-16-2013)

The judge shouldn't have those rights though. That is the problem. I don't hate the judicial system (well, parts of it..... frivilous lawsuits that still get through being a big example). I hate that someone can get their feelings hurt and decide to change a plea deal over it that they had previously agreed to.
    A judge has to agree to a plea deal to begin with. The judge is in charge of the sentencing. They don't officially get sentenced until the very hearing Chad was at. A judge can, and should, have to the right to reevaluate their intended sentence until the time they hand it down based on new information about the defendant.

And this whole "because her feelings were hurt" is your own speculation. It's your opinion based on....well, nothing really. Does she have a precedent of this? Do you know anything else about her other than what she did in this case? I don't know why you'd automatically assume it had to do with her ego.

Here you had a flashy professional athlete who hit a woman. This is a very serious charge. He got a fancy lawyer who got him a plea deal. He shows up in court looking like he didn't care. Then he makes a joke out of a serious question a judge asked him in a very serious criminal proceeding. Her perception was that this was a guy who was not taking this whole thing seriously and needs to understand how serious this really is. It's not like she sentenced him to multiple years in a max security prison. The more I think about it, the more I think she did the right thing. Guys like Chad Johnson need to know they have to follow the same rules everyone else does. You can't go making a mockery of the criminal justice system like he was doing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

10. Likes:

jimbo (06-17-2013),Joseph (06-16-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (06-17-2013),Revering4Blue (06-17-2013),RichRed (06-17-2013),SunDeck (06-16-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    You just don't get it. People get sentences like this all the time for disrupting the courtroom, disrespecting the judge, etc. That's what Chad did. It's not like there's a law against smacking your lawyer's butt. However there is definitely a precedent for getting jail time for disrespectful behavior in the courtroom. You're over-thinking this, bigtime.
    No, that is what I said earlier and is exactly the point that Doug is making - that it is BS that that's a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    No, that is what I said earlier and is exactly the point that Doug is making - that it is BS that that's a thing.
    It might be BS to you, but to me it's showing disrespect for the situation you're in. This is how courtrooms all over the country are ran and I don't have an issue with it at all. Chad got exactly what he deserved.

Actually Chad head butting a woman is old news at this point. The reason he was back in court was because he was blowing off the meetings with his probation officer; not because he hit another woman. So according to this judge, he deserves more jailtime for a slap on the butt than he does hitting a woman. For those of you who have an issue with what he did to his ex, think about it in those terms and tell me what you think of the judge's priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Actually Chad head butting a woman is old news at this point. The reason he was back in court was because he was blowing off the meetings with his probation officer; not because he hit another woman. So according to this judge, he deserves more jail time for a slap on the butt than he does hitting a woman. For those of you who have an issue with what he did to his ex, think about it in those terms and tell me what you think of the judge's priorities.
    Big difference. His money likely got him probation on the domestic abuse charges. No amount of money can save you if the judge decides to give you some jail time for disrespecting her in her courtroom. There's no plea bargaining that decision.

It might be BS to you, but to me it's showing disrespect for the situation you're in. This is how courtrooms all over the country are ran and I don't have an issue with it at all. Chad got exactly what he deserved.
    So athletes all over the world should be given jail time? They all slap each other on the butt.

I still don't get how disrespect deserves jail time unless that disrespect comes along with someone else, such as physical or a threat of physical violence.

I guess that is where we differ. Disrespect isn't against the law. Send people to jail for breaking the law, not for being disrespectful to someone, regardless of who that someone is.

No amount of money can save you if the judge decides to give you some jail time for disrespecting her in her courtroom. There's no plea bargaining that decision.
    Money, nor disrespect should ever come into play in a court room aside from the value of the defense that your money can buy you.

Explain to me how being disrespectful to someone, anyone, that isn't also involving a physical threat should warrant jail time. It simply doesn't make sense.

Big difference. His money likely got him probation on the domestic abuse charges. No amount of money can save you if the judge decides to give you some jail time for disrespecting her in her courtroom. There's no plea bargaining that decision.
    Money hasn't changed from the beginning to now. Neither has the judge. The only difference is the sentence. Lester Munson gets it. This is a short column and here's his last paragraph:

C'mon, judge. Johnson will be in jail Monday night. That's enough. If you let him out on Tuesday, you will have made your point. If you keep him in the Broward County Jail for 30 days, you will always be the judge who could not distinguish between a vicious head-butt and a triumphant slap on the fanny.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...pping-incident

Doug, you keep making this disrespect in a way that it's impossible to counter because you act like it happened in a vacuum with no context. Of course no one should be thrown in jail for disrespect. And you are the one positioning it as disrespect. I definitely don't see it that way. I see it as someone who committed a serious offense and thought he could buy his way out of it and not take it seriously. The judge was responding to that more than any perceived personal slight to her individual ego. I think that's a much more likely scenario than the one you're putting forth of hurt feelings at lack of respect for her personally.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Chad is free!

Turn Off Ads?