Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Chad is free!
    As he has for most of his "adult" life, he gets away with acting like an idiot because of who he is. That's why he still acts the way he does at his age and why he's out of football already. He'll never grow up because no one or no thing will ever force him to. He obviously didn't take domestic violence charges or court appearances seriously, so I'm guessing this isn't the last we'll see Chad in a courtroom.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Ochocinco goes from probation to 30 days in jail after attorney butt slap...

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Doug, you keep making this disrespect in a way that it's impossible to counter because you act like it happened in a vacuum with no context. Of course no one should be thrown in jail for disrespect. And you are the one positioning it as disrespect. I definitely don't see it that way. I see it as someone who committed a serious offense and thought he could buy his way out of it and not take it seriously. The judge was responding to that more than any perceived personal slight to her individual ego. I think that's a much more likely scenario than the one you're putting forth of hurt feelings at lack of respect for her personally.
    I don't care what the judge was responding to unless it was another breaking of a law, which it wasn't, or the original law that was broken, which it wasn't. That is what she should be dealing with in that courtroom when handing out sentences. Nothing else. She made it about something else. She shouldn't have the right to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't care what the judge was responding to unless it was another breaking of a law, which it wasn't, or the original law that was broken, which it wasn't. That is what she should be dealing with in that courtroom when handing out sentences. Nothing else. She made it about something else. She shouldn't have the right to do that.
    So judges shouldn't sentence then, which is essentially what you're saying. All sentencing should be pre-determined so judges aren't allowed to bring anything subjective to the process. That sounds to me like what you're saying.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So judges shouldn't sentence then, which is essentially what you're saying. All sentencing should be pre-determined so judges aren't allowed to bring anything subjective to the process. That sounds to me like what you're saying.
    What I am saying is that they should sentence based on the crime, not based on how someone acted within the court room assuming that person didn't break a law in the court room and even then, that should probably wind up as a separate case, no?

If this judge wanted to send Chad to jail for his probation violation, fine. I am on board. But she didn't.

6. Likes:

texasdave (06-17-2013)

A judge has to agree to a plea deal to begin with. The judge is in charge of the sentencing. They don't officially get sentenced until the very hearing Chad was at. A judge can, and should, have to the right to reevaluate their intended sentence until the time they hand it down based on new information about the defendant.

And this whole "because her feelings were hurt" is your own speculation. It's your opinion based on....well, nothing really. Does she have a precedent of this? Do you know anything else about her other than what she did in this case? I don't know why you'd automatically assume it had to do with her ego.

Here you had a flashy professional athlete who hit a woman. This is a very serious charge. He got a fancy lawyer who got him a plea deal. He shows up in court looking like he didn't care. Then he makes a joke out of a serious question a judge asked him in a very serious criminal proceeding. Her perception was that this was a guy who was not taking this whole thing seriously and needs to understand how serious this really is. It's not like she sentenced him to multiple years in a max security prison. The more I think about it, the more I think she did the right thing. Guys like Chad Johnson need to know they have to follow the same rules everyone else does. You can't go making a mockery of the criminal justice system like he was doing.
    You make it sound like he got some sweetheart deal because he got a flashy lawyer and actually deserved more. Well considering it's a first offense for misdemeanor DV, if it had occurred in some of the jurisdictions I work in, I might have been able to get him into a diversion program which, if he completed it successfully, would have gotten it off his record entirely. But I'm no flashy lawyer, I'm just a public defender who represents those who can't afford an attorney. And if a client slapped my butt, I think the most the judges I deal with would have given him is a 30 day suspended sentence for contempt with the threat that they would be run consecutive to any time currently suspended over his head.

But Chad is free now, which I suspect happened because someone at the jail sent a message to the judge that someone they really want to keep in jail could get emergency released because of overcrowding.

Not to minimize the crime of domestic violence, but there are many men AND women who get charged for crossing the line by getting physical during an argument. When looking at sentencing these people, courts often consider factors other than punishment. For first timers, the desire is often that they receive some kind of court supervised help to give them skills they can use to cope with stressful situations in the future so that they don't reoffend. That often involves anger management, counselling, and evaluation for drug and alcohol problems. When you see as many "frequent fliers" as we do, judges will often do what they can to provide the offender with the opportunity to make positive changes in their life to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

8. Likes:

redsfandan (06-18-2013),WMR (06-17-2013)

If an apology can get you out of jail then you shouldn't have been in jail to begin with. Waste of time, money, effort, everything. A courtroom and a judge shouldn't be out to make silly headlines.

I realize he was in court for a nasty incident, but as I understand it that wasn't why he was locked up. Had they put him in jail for the domestic violence thing then I'd have no issues with it.

10. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree and I think she'll shorten it to something less than 10 days too.
    This judge is so predictable. We could all see this coming a week ago.

For a Level Playing Field

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...logizing-judge

McHugh noted that in a previous hearing Johnson had put his arm around a female prosecutor's shoulders, prompting the prosecutor to tell him twice not to touch her. The judge also pointed out that when Johnson head-butted his then-wife, Evelyn Lozada of the reality TV show "Basketball Wives," she suffered a 3-inch gash on her head that required eight stitches. The judge called those injuries horrific.

McHugh also said Johnson failed to appreciate "the gift of probation" after pleading no contest to battery in the altercation last August with Lozada, which prompted her to quickly file for divorce. Johnson, 35, was in court because he had failed to meet with his probation officer for three straight months.

"I find that's an arrogant disregard for a court order," the judge said.
    Google up pictures of Lozada's wound. Pretty nasty. Hopefully a week in the can taught him humility and to follow court orders... and more importantly not to injure other humans out of anger.

13. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...logizing-judge

Google up pictures of Lozada's wound. Pretty nasty. Hopefully a week in the can taught him humility and to follow court orders... and more importantly not to injure other humans out of anger.
    Wow.

Turn Off Ads?