Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Here are some names to watch for the Reds in next year's draft one year in advance:

Carlos Rodon LHP - N.Carolina St.
    Tyler Beede RHP - Vanderbilt
    Trea Turner SS - N.Carolina St.
    Liam Sabino SS - HS
    Jacob Gatewood SS - HS
    Bryson Brigman SS - HS
    Matt Chapman SS - Cal State Fullerton
    Montrell Marshall SS - HS
    Tate Blackman SS - HS
    Justin Smith OF - HS
    Sean Newcomb LHP - Hartford
    Kyle Schwarber C/1B - Indiana - local kid and as a bonus, I'm going to his sister's wedding next month
    Alex Jackson C - HS
    Grayson Greiner C - S.Carolina
    Connor Lynch C - Ga.Tech

Will be fun to revisit this list next June.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

From what little I've heard, the catcher Alex Jackson could be an elite prospect.

I wonder how many years we will have to wait until we get another Bryce Harper. Everytime a little league team checks in my hotel, I ask the coach is there anybody that stands out. Another 15 years ?
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    I wonder how many years we will have to wait until we get another Bryce Harper. Everytime a little league team checks in my hotel, I ask the coach is there anybody that stands out. Another 15 years ?
    Could be. Took 17 years between A-Rod and Harper, but only took 6 between Griffey and A-Rod. Ironic that 2 teams got to enjoy the 4 best Draft talents of the last 25 years.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Could be. Took 17 years between A-Rod and Harper, but only took 6 between Griffey and A-Rod. Ironic that 2 teams got to enjoy the 4 best Draft talents of the last 25 years.
    1) Would Josh Hamilton slide into that group?
    2) Junior was 26 years ago. How time flies.

Trea Turner would fit this organization's needs like a glove (no pun intended).

A college SS who can swing the bat and would move quickly, possibly debuting as early as 2016. Imagine a 2016 lineup of:

CF Hamilton
    LF Winker/Ervin
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    C Mesoraco
    SS Turner

SP Latos/Cueto
    SP Stephenson
    SP Chapman
    SP Cingrani
    SP Contreras/Travieso (although Travieso likely won't be ready until 2017 or 2018)

CL Lorenzen
    Go BLUE!!!

7. Likes:

mdccclxix (07-30-2013)

Trea Turner would fit this organization's needs like a glove (no pun intended).

A college SS who can swing the bat and would move quickly, possibly debuting as early as 2016. Imagine a 2016 lineup of:

CF Hamilton
    LF Winker/Ervin
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    C Mesoraco
    SS Turner

SP Latos/Cueto
    SP Stephenson
    SP Chapman
    SP Cingrani
    SP Contreras/Travieso (although Travieso likely won't be ready until 2017 or 2018)

CL Lorenzen
    I seriously belive that the final ship of the Chapman-to-the-rotationflotilla sailed this past spring - not tht that is bad thing - I doubt Arolis would be omre than a pedestrian starter after taking into account the loss of velocity he would see after converting to a starting role.

I also think that at least two, if not three of Latos, Cueto, Bailey and Leake will still be in the Cincy rotation come 2016 along with Cingrani and Stephenson. I aso believe somone like Moscot (among others) may push for an open spot if there is one.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 09-11-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I seriously belive that the final ship of the Chapman-to-the-rotationflotilla sailed this past spring - not tht that is bad thing - I doubt Arolis would be omre than a pedestrian starter after taking into account the loss of velocity he would see after converting to a starting role.

I also think that at least two, if not three of Latos, Cueto, Bailey and Leake will still be in the Cincy rotation come 2016 along with Cingrani and Stephenson. I aso believe somone like Moscot (among others) may push for an open spot if there is one.
    I tend to agree with you on Chapman - the referenced post was made 3 months ago.

That said, my new preferred course would be to trade either Chapman or Bailey this offseason for a young, ML-ready infielder we could plug immediately into the lineup. Guys who fit the bill include Jurickson Profar and Xander Bogaerts. A trade with the Dodgers may also make sense if we could wrestle away Joc Pedersen and Corey Seager.

Then we could comfortably draft BPA and not worry about having to infuse our system with middle infield prospects, as the current dearth of talent in the organization would be taken care of.

We could also then either keep Cozart for depth, or trade him for a one-year rental/platoon player in CF- someone like Nori Aoki (although the Brewers have Segura) or Brett Gardner (if the Yanks re-sign Granderson and Cano and need some salary relief to get under the luxury tax).
    Go BLUE!!!

Still blows my mind that the Nationals could have had BOTH Bryce Harper AND Mike Trout but drafted Drew Storen instead in the 2009 draft.

I think the Reds will go after that kid from California, that RHP in HS whose name escapes me, that middle infielder from Georgia or is it Mississippi, the youngster from Florida, and that local guy who makes good.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I think the Reds will go after that kid from California, that RHP in HS whose name escapes me, that middle infielder from Georgia or is it Mississippi, the youngster from Florida, and that local guy who makes good.
    I am still sticking with my prediction from last June.

I've never been able to follow the baseball draft like I can football or basketball because I don't watch baseball on the amateur level. That said, I'll stand by what I said months ago: I think in any sport, you cant go wrong taking the best player available, but I'd love to see the Reds get a college shortstop or any other high upside bats that project to stay in the infield (but not 1B).
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Here are some names to watch for the Reds in next year's draft one year in advance:

Carlos Rodon LHP - N.Carolina St.
    Tyler Beede RHP - Vanderbilt
    Trea Turner SS - N.Carolina St.
    Liam Sabino SS - HS
    Jacob Gatewood SS - HS
    Bryson Brigman SS - HS
    Matt Chapman SS - Cal State Fullerton
    Montrell Marshall SS - HS
    Tate Blackman SS - HS
    Justin Smith OF - HS
    Sean Newcomb LHP - Hartford
    Kyle Schwarber C/1B - Indiana - local kid and as a bonus, I'm going to his sister's wedding next month
    Alex Jackson C - HS
    Grayson Greiner C - S.Carolina
    Connor Lynch C - Ga.Tech

Will be fun to revisit this list next June.
    Couple other names to add to the list (why not, it's only 10 months out!):

Ti'quan Forbes HS SS, Nick Gordon HS SS and Marcus Wilson HS OF

Those three, along with shortstops Trea Turner, Jacob Gatewood, Montrell Marshall and HS catcher Alex Jackson are the top seven guys I'd love to see in Red. Carlos Rodon and Tyler Beede seem to be the consensus top two guys (both pitchers), so barring injury or meltdown it seems unlikely that they would fall out of the top half of the first round. That said, in 10 months a lot stranger things have happened.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-30-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

This seems the best place for this:http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...draft-rankings

That is Matt Garrioch's early 2014 draft board. Which he ranks his top 150 players.

His top 10:

1) Carlos Rodon, LHP, JR. N.C. State
    2) Jeff Hoffman, RHP, JR, East Carolina
    3) Tyler Kolek, RHP/1B, TX HS
    4) Braxton Davidson, OF/1B, NC HS
    5) Tyler Beede, RHP, JR. Vandy
    6) Gregory Deichmann, 3B, LA HS
    7) Trea Turner, SS/3B, JR. N.C. State
    8) Alex Jackson, OF/C, CA HS
    9) Luis Ortiz, RHP, CA HS
    10) Jacob Gatewood, SS CA HS

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

As a result, the Colorado Rockies had the best odds at receiving that selection, currently No. 32, with a 17 percent chance. Those odds came in, as Colorado was awarded the top pick in the lottery. The Cleveland Indians (13.9 percent), Miami Marlins (13.2) and Kansas City Royals (11.2) had the next-best odds. Cleveland ended up with the third selection, behind the Baltimore Orioles, with the Marlins and Royals falling in behind the Indians. The Milwaukee Brewers nabbed the final pick in Round A.

The Padres got the first pick in Round B, followed by the Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Rays Pirates and Mariners.

lottery results
    Below are the results of the Competitive Balance Lottery, which establishes the order for Comp Rounds A and B in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft.

Pick Comp A
    1 Rockies
    2 Orioles (Traded to Astros)
    3 Indians
    4 Marlins
    5 Royals
    6 Brewers

Pick Comp B

1 Padres (Traded to D-backs)
    2 D-backs
    3 Cardinals
    4 Rays
    5 Pirates
    6 Mariners
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 08-02-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Turn Off Ads?