Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Rangers Sign Shin-Soo Choo
    By Jeff Todd [December 21 at 11:13am CST]
    TODAY, 11:34am: Choo's deal includes no opt-outs or options, tweets Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. It does contain a limited no-trade clause, however.

TODAY, 11:32am: Choo's deal is worth $130MM, tweets Heyman. Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News first reported (via Twitter) that the deal was expected to land in that range.

TODAY, 11:13am: Outfielder Shin-Soo Choo has reached agreement with the Rangers on a seven-year deal for $130MM, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (via Twitter). Choo, 31, is a client of the Boras Corporation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...d-draft-order/

So while we wait for further free agent signings, the draft order currently looks like this, assuming Granderson signs with the Mets as is being reported widely:

First Round

1. Houston Astros

2. Miami Marlins

3. Chicago White Sox

4. Chicago Cubs

5. Minnesota Twins

6. Seattle Mariners

7. Philadelphia Phillies

8. Colorado Rockies

9. Toronto Blue Jays

10. New York Mets

11. Toronto Blue Jays (compensation for failure to sign Phil Bickford in ‘13 draft)

12. Milwaukee Brewers

13. San Diego Padres

14. San Francisco Giants

15. Los Angeles Angels

16. Arizona Diamondbacks

x Baltimore Orioles (forfeited for signing Ubaldo Jimenez)

X. New York Yankees (forfeited for signing Brian McCann)

17. Kansas City Royals

18. Washington Nationals

19. Cincinnati Reds

x. Texas Rangers (forfeited for signing Shin-Soo Choo)

20. Tampa Bay Rays

21. Cleveland Indians

22. Los Angeles Dodgers

23. Detroit Tigers

24. Pittsburgh Pirates

25. Oakland Athletics

26. Atlanta Braves

27. Boston Red Sox

28. St. Louis Cardinals

Compensatory Round

*Y. Seattle Mariners (Kendry Morales compensation)

Z. New York Yankees (for losing Robinson Cano)

ZZ. New York Yankees (for losing Curtis Granderson)

*29. Kansas City Royals (Ervin Santana)

*30. Cincinnati Reds (awarded for losing Shin-Soo Choo)

*31. Texas Rangers (Nelson Cruz)

*32. Miami Marlins (compensation for failure to sign Matt Krook in ‘13 draft)

*33. Cleveland Indians (awarded for losing Ubaldo Jimenez)

34. Atlanta Braves (awarded for losing Brian McCann)

35. Boston Red Sox (awarded for losing Jacoby Ellsbury)

*36. Boston Red Sox (Stephen Drew)

*37. St. Louis Cardinals (awarded for losing Carlos Beltran)

X Lost for signing free agent Brian McCann

Y Lost for signing free agent Robinson Cano, will revert to second-round pick if Morales resigns with Mariners

Z Lost for signing free agent Jacoby Ellsbury

ZZ Lost for signing free agent Carlos Beltran

*All picks marked with an asterisk are contingent on the free agent signing with another team.

The Mets will lose their second-round pick for signing Granderson, as their first-round pick is protected as a top 10 selection.

There are many problems with the new collective bargaining agreement, but the free-agent compensation is one way that the new system is significantly better than the old rules. Under the old rules, teams lost one pick for signing a free agent while gaining two. Now it’s a one-for-one transaction. Sign a compensatory free agent? Lose a pick. Lose a compensatory free agent? Gain a pick.
    Updated with Texas Rangers losing their First round pick #21 for signing Shin-Soo Choo.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 02-17-2014 at 08:04 PM.

My updated end of the year wish list with the Reds now having two picks in the top thirty (one).

1. Alex Jackson C
    2. Jacob Gatewood 3B
    3. Trea Turner SS
    4. Justus Sheffield LHP
    5. Touki Toussaint RHP
    6. Max Pentecost C
    7. Ti'quan Forbes SS
    8. Brady Aiken LHP
    9. Sean Newcomb LHP
    10. Aaron Nola RHP
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-21-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    My updated end of the year wish list with the Reds now having two picks in the top thirty (one).

1. Alex Jackson C
    2. Jacob Gatewood 3B
    3. Trea Turner SS
    4. Justus Sheffield LHP
    5. Touki Toussaint RHP
    6. Max Pentecost C
    7. Ti'quan Forbes SS
    8. Brady Aiken LHP
    9. Sean Newcomb LHP
    10. Aaron Nola RHP
    I'd be great with Turner or Forbes, then Nola if they'd fall
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-21-2014)

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/...mlb-mock-draft

Cincinnati Reds- Sean Newcomb-LHP- While he hasn’t faced the best competition in collegiate baseball, he still has formidable raw stuff with a fastball that can reach 97 and a plus slider.

Right now I'm kind of hoping for Nick Gordon. Better hit tool than his brother with plus defence and speed. Wouldn't mind having a top end SS prospect in the system like him moving forward given how strong our pitching already is and with Stephenson looking amazing.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Right now I'm kind of hoping for Nick Gordon. Better hit tool than his brother with plus defence and speed. Wouldn't mind having a top end SS prospect in the system like him moving forward given how strong our pitching already is and with Stephenson looking amazing.
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...fl-high-school

Enough questions to make me think he would be a reach at #20. Would be a good sandwich pick. Reds surely need to add some SS prospects.

Agree with wanting help at SS, but I'd want Trea Turner (and maybe even Ti'quan Forbes) over Gordon at this point.

Turner may not fall to 20, though it's still early. Forbes and Gordon are probably guys to hope fall to the sandwich round.
    Go BLUE!!!

I want Touki Toissaint just for his name.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

JMac84 (02-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agree with wanting help at SS, but I'd want Trea Turner (and maybe even Ti'quan Forbes) over Gordon at this point.

Turner may not fall to 20, though it's still early. Forbes and Gordon are probably guys to hope fall to the sandwich round.
    I think everyone would want Turner over Gordon, but I don't think they have dissimilar upsides. Heck, Gordon could easily end up the better player. He's like a bigger, stronger version of his brother with a better bat. I wouldn't be surprised if they're both gone by 20, but otherwise I'd hope that Cinci is willing to take a gamble on one. I'm pretty confident Gordon will be a good shortstop in the majors.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I want Touki Toissaint just for his name.
    You really must like torturing George Grande the way he'd torture that name.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

16. Likes:

camisadelgolf (01-29-2014)

I really wish it were possible to trade up in the MLB draft like in every other professional sports league. I would really love for Cincinnati to be able to grab Turner or Gordon to have an elite SS prospect in the system.

Oh well. Any other updates or thoughts on what the Reds may be targeting this year?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Mariners In Talks With Cruz, Willing To Offer Multiple Years

By Steve Adams [February 8 at 11:17am CST]

SATURDAY: It's only "a matter of time" before the Mariners agree to terms with Cruz, industry sources tell Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune (on Twitter).

Seattle has the sixth overall selection in the 2014 draft, meaning its first-round pick is protected under Major League Baseball's collective bargaining agreement. The Mariners have also already forfeited their second round pick in signing Robinson Cano to a 10-year, $240MM contract, meaning they'd "only" be looking at forfeiting their Competitive Balance round pick. Seattle won the final pick of Competitive Balance Round B in last summer's Competitive Balance lottery.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/777/kendrys-morales

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that there is "mutual interest" between the Pirates and Kendrys Morales.
    Cafardo writes that the Pirates "would love" Morales at the right price, but "they may also pursue a first baseman via trade." They've long been mentioned as a potential landing spot for Ike Davis, and Cafardo also lists Adam Lind, Mitch Moreland, Justin Smoak, Daniel Nava and Mike Carp as possible targets. Signing Morales would require the Pirates to forfeit their first-round draft pick. They'd also probably no longer be able to afford Morales if they wind up re-signing A.J. Burnett.

Turn Off Ads?